Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Registry Number Explanation (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Registry Number Explanation
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trinc: The Yridians aren't members in the Federation, so that 3069 holds no water.

The Galaxies we see in the war scenes have no registries visible either, but that doesn't mean that Galaxies don't get registries. It only makes sense that if runabouts get registries then raiders do too.

Technically, all good-sized shuttlecraft are perfectly capable of Interstellar travel, despite what the specs in the TNG tech man seem to imply. Shuttles consistently go from system to system, even across sectors (as per "Interface"). Probably the only reasoning behind getting a registry is being a public vessels (a related point, in the moneyless Federation, what by way of private vessels are there?) and being independent of another spacecraft or starbase. (Runabouts do sorta push that envelope, but I do see them being used as general interstellar transports around the federation.

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

-Rex Murphy on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: Your theory is fine, except that runabouts are often assigned to larger vessels, like in "Timescape."

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think runabouts and raiders exist in a quasi-ship level. They have factory assigned registries, like a starship, but the names are up to whomever gets them on the other end. Sisko apparently names his runabouts...other commanding officers probably name theirs. As for the raiders, they would be named by their pilot(s).

This might explain why Data's scoutship didn't have a name painted on it. None was assigned, perhaps because Admiral Dougherty wanted to file as little paperwork as possible.

------------------
"It's not my birthday, it's not today. It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me?"
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shipmaster: IIRC, the E-D was delivering a runabout to DS9 in "Timescape", weren't they?

------------------
Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Pinky: "I think so, Brain, but, if you get a long little doggie, wouldn't you just call it a 'dachshund'?"

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the registries are selected at random from a small boy named Todd.

------------------
"Ravish? I'm not sure what you mean."

Anakin. A little confused.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: No, they were just coming back from a conference.

------------------
"Breath...keep breathing. I can't do this alone"
--
Radiohead

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps