Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » tech for future ST film/tv (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: tech for future ST film/tv
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because they'd still be (wait for it)......
PEOPLE!!!!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(also required)

Mmm. . . Soylent Green. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
The self-replicating mines were, in my opinion, a huge mistake. They've essentially created a perpetual power-source, and that's a MASSIVE technological leap.

Er... wrong... the self-replicating mines were powered by the gases around the wormhole... just like bussard collectors.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, they were? That in the DS9TM or something?

"What's up your ass?"

A colon. What's up yours?

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
[]...or de-materialize them into your ship's raw materials recycler and have a nice steak dinner-at their expense?
Like, ew...

Originally posted by Chase Ultra Magnus:
quote:
Who reads SF?
You! Out of the gene pool!

Marian

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
The self-replicating mines were, in my opinion, a huge mistake. They've essentially created a perpetual power-source, and that's a MASSIVE technological leap.

Er... wrong... the self-replicating mines were powered by the gases around the wormhole... just like bussard collectors.
I thought they were magic mines too, but this would make more sense. Where did you here about the wormhole gases? (not that wormhole gasses make much more sense...)

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you want amazing, mind- expanding tech- read Greg Bear or Dan Simmons."

Or:
Heinlein
Niven
Pournelle
Asimov
Clarke
Weber
Drake
Varley
Barnes
Robinson
Card
Hogan
Herbert
Sheffield

Just to name a few of the essentials.

If you aren't familiar with their works, you're not a science-fiction fan, just a Trekkie.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat Cadigan
Octavia Butler
David Gerrold (he's come a long way since "Trouble With Tribbles")
John Barnes & John Varley--I know Treknophyle already mentioned them, but they're worth mentioning twice.

Marian

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM said:
"Who reads SF?"

Other people said:
[various comments about how UM is wrong]

I say: Surely you all know better by now.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

Originally posted by TSN:
quote:
I say: Surely you all know better by now.
Who can keep all the participants on this board straight?

Marian

PS: "Farmers call them nature's dominoes"? What does "them" refer to? Trailer parks?

[ June 13, 2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: MarianLH ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horses.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting back to the subject at hand, what does some new tech give you from a practical storytelling point of view? Right now Trek has devices that allow instantaneous transport across short distances, shooting acoss the galaxy like it was a big neighborhood, the ability to travel through time (sun slingshots, Guardian of Forever, chronometric particles, Q, and whatever other excuse they come with this week), intelligent machines, star bursting weapons, etc.

Most of these technologies just allow us to circumvent situations rather than actually generate them. For instance, time-dialation-free space travel means we don't have to deal with what it would be like for space travellers to have different perspectives on the passage of time than those who live on planets. Transporters are magic doors that allow us to step from our home to some other place without a voyage to get there.

What I want to see is a practical example of tech that CHANGES something about Star Trek other than the eye candy and technobabble aspect, and actually provides real opportunities for dramatic storytelling that can't be done with what's gone before. If it doesn't do that, it literally is just a facade.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:
"If you want amazing, mind- expanding tech- read Greg Bear or Dan Simmons."

Or:
Heinlein
Niven
Pournelle
Asimov
Clarke
Weber
Drake
Varley
Barnes
Robinson
Card
Hogan
Herbert
Sheffield

Just to name a few of the essentials.

If you aren't familiar with their works, you're not a science-fiction fan, just a Trekkie.

I cant say that asimov ever blew me away with tech.
Great stories though.
Card and Niven are good for far-out tech ideas though.
Cant get through Herbert's style....his narrative just dores'nt work for me, so I'm stucj with the Dune Movies.

Never read Barnes: what did he write?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino 123:
I thought they were magic mines too, but this would make more sense. Where did you here about the wormhole gases? (not that wormhole gasses make much more sense...)

I haven't a clue now. That's what I remember from the episode, that the mines would collect gases from around the wormhole [of which those gases would also be naturally sucked towards the wormhole due to gravity]. These gases would be added to the fuel tank and the replicator reserve across the system.

The DS9 TM indicates that instead of a bussard collection setup, the system uses ZPE to manufacture new particles. I'm not certain if I'm right anymore.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
I haven't a clue now. That's what I remember from the episode, that the mines would collect gases from around the wormhole [of which those gases would also be naturally sucked towards the wormhole due to gravity]. These gases would be added to the fuel tank and the replicator reserve across the system.

I don't recall hearing anything like that in the show at all, to be honest. It's going to require a pretty decent explanation to convince me.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps