Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What's in a Battle Bridge? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What's in a Battle Bridge?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for some reason, i want to think that a dedicated battle control area designed for extended periods of combat and a large arsenal under a single room's control would have more stations, not less...

but hey, i've been wrong before. i mean, the freakin ship cleans itself!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked in CIC on the Fitzgerald. The bridge is extremely simplistic. Just an old console in the center where a deck guy drives the ship.

CIC on the other hand looks better. Blue lights, computer consoles everywhere, two large screens that display the tactical air and tactical surface picture. You get to wear a cool headset to talk to everyone in combat.

I'd like to see a bridge in Star Trek that incorporated both the traditional Starfleet bridge with modern day CIC.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
I worked in CIC on the Fitzgerald. The bridge is extremely simplistic. Just an old console in the center where a deck guy drives the ship.

CIC on the other hand looks better. Blue lights, computer consoles everywhere, two large screens that display the tactical air and tactical surface picture. You get to wear a cool headset to talk to everyone in combat.

I'd like to see a bridge in Star Trek that incorporated both the traditional Starfleet bridge with modern day CIC.

Did you guys have a USW module on the Fitzgerald?

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capped in Mike:
for some reason, i want to think that a dedicated battle control area designed for extended periods of combat and a large arsenal under a single room's control would have more stations, not less...

but hey, i've been wrong before. i mean, the freakin ship cleans itself!

I dount think you're wrong exactly, but I do think that any of the stations on the battle/ Aux Bridge would be easily converted to control nay shi's functions (making a few stations capable of doing the work of all those rear bridge stations).

I'm also of the opinion that we've only ever seen an Ambassador's Aux-Bridge.

Heck, mabye even the Yamato's for that matter.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we really see enough of the (real) Yamato's bridge to say it doesn't look big/grand enough? As I recall, it's just the standard close up on the captain with the T of the horseshoe railing behind him.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just a thought: besides, the Yamato probably has many changes and tweaks the Enterprise does not (depending on wich ship was commisioned first) as Starfleet R&D refined the class for production beyond the inital six ships(?).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a quick sketch of CIC Intruder1701, but I can't find the Flare Upload.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chairs dropping through decks all turbo-lift style and dropping into place in a command area harkens back to 80's cartoons such as Voltron and M.A.S.K. Hence, I'd say leave that feature out of Trek.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the closest we've had were the pointlessly moving forward chairs on the B5 White Star, seen to move only once before being permenantly stationed on the sides of the bridge. Lter on, I think they did away with them altogether...

Anyway, while droping chairs is probably pointless in the Trek grand scheme, I still think it'd be cool to test the limits of what is stil acceptable as "Trek" while still being different. For example, many fan bridge designs have done things like incorporate ladders, transporters on the bridge, asymetrical design, holocommunicators, big central holographic displays, etc. And yet, in the end we tend to be comfy with what we've been given for forty years. Of all the feedback I've recieved on my bridge esigns over the years, the most "normal" ones are what have been the most popular - ergo, things which look contemporary to existing ones.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got no problem at all with assymetrical bridge design. I think it can be done well. As for ladders and whatnot, I think that anything that makes it hard to get around on the bridge is a bad idea. Probably not all that conducive to taking action in emergency situations. And, while I think the holo-communuicator we saw the one time on the Defiant was a stupid plot device, I think that having such things on near future starships would be acceptable.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The holocommunicator was used once more in that DS9 episode where Bashir reveals his genetically engineered background, for similar dramatic effect. Between that and the USS Prometheus, starships don't NEED places for visiting holograms to stand around - it can really be anywhere. In any case, 2D comms are still the order of the day.

Anyone ever seen a GOOD asymetrical bridge design? Aban, you had a decent one for a recent poster, but overall it was still fairly even... I'm talking about wildly asymetrical here. Captain's chair sandwiched all the way on the right, or odd numbers of consoles all over the place...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
For example, many fan bridge designs have done things like incorporate ladders, transporters on the bridge, asymetrical design, holocommunicators, big central holographic displays, etc.

Many fans are trying to design a cool looking bride, not a cool looking bridge that's also practical for use on a TV show. That's why there's no transporter on the bridge, and probably why they don't have big central (expensive) holographic displays.

Remember, the whole idea behind TNG-era computer tech is that's is suppossed to look as simple as possible, because then it will date far less. If they'd tried every fancy computer trick they could have used on the displays back in 1988, they'd look far worse 16 years later than they do now.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

The Relativity's bridge is the only radically assymetrical bridge I've seen and it was alright. It was obviously just an attempt to not have to build more than one set for the ship, but it was still pretty cool. The presence of the transporter on the bridge probably indicates that it's use is a major part of the work they regularly do. I still think it's a dumb idea though.

I think the Jenolan's bridge also had a transporter on it, assuming the room we saw Scotty and Geordi piloting the ship from was the bridge, which it appeared to be. Anyone got screen cappies?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Many fans are trying to design a cool looking bride, not a cool looking bridge that's also practical for use on a TV show.

No doubt while living in their parent's basement.

As to bridge design, I really hate Voyager's side-by-side loveseat arrangment.
The captain should sit alone in an obvious position of authority.
I imagine the first officer could be a ranking bridge officer (like in TOS) on smaller ships (like Worf or Dax on the Defiant) where there is less administrative chores (Ryker was endlessly doing someone's evaluation and on a ship the size of a Galaxy, just coordinating the diffrent departments would be a lot of work).

O could easily see a Sabre's tactical or science officer as First Officer with their own station to man.

The Sovvie's bridge is pretty nice (if far too bright for my personal tastes).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ryker"?

I know you aren't married to a dictionary, but that's no reason to suddenly turn into my dad. What's next? "Sisco"? "circ"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps