Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What's in a Battle Bridge? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What's in a Battle Bridge?
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of holographic displays. I was watching some La Femme Nikita episodes on DVD and they had one. Operations used it every episode for the briefings. If LFN could afford it, I don't see why ST can't.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Many fans are trying to design a cool looking bride,

Heh
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flareupload.pleh.net/

I like Voyager's bridge, mostly for the complicated alcoves that Ops and Tactical get. Ops especially, since as described in, for instance, the TNG technical manual, this should be one of the busiest stations.

Re: bridges and their design in general: I didn't care for the Relativity's bridge because it looked like a break room. So, I guess the psychological effect of having a "normal" looking control room are not insubstantial. (For the home viewers, I mean.)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Jenol!n's bridge - it was symmetrical in general, with the side alcoves being different. It was a custom (non re-used) set, with the common center chair, forward TNG consoles, and an aft console for Scotty to use for Engineering purposes. Geordi flew the ship from the center chair, probably using the backup con/ops controls aluded to as far back as "Encounter at Farpoint". The alcoves off to the sides had the transporter and the engineering greeblies that Scotty and Geordi could stick their heads under.

Holographic displays have been used in numerous instances on TNG, in the conference lounge at atop Picard's desk (sometimes with no visible projector or emitting surface). Oddly, they were almost never seen on DS9 or Voyager. In any case, it's not really that unfeasile these days... I really wish they'd incorporate them more.

I never liked the dual-center seat configuration on Voyager either. The CO is supposed to be the center of attention, but the proucers deliberately wanted to de-centralize the command structure on the bridge and give it less of a "flaying machine" look. Also, all main stations were designed to look towards the main viewer, inasmuch as the Sovvie bridge had everyone capable of looking at the Captain.

And for me, Sovvie bridge = bad. WAY too pointy, and all the free-standing consoles gave it a quilted, strewn-about look to me. If they had gone with a more unified approach, putting the tactical and science / eng consoles on the same level in more of a "ring" (as ws originally envisioned), then it'd have looked more consistent. And of course, my REAL pet peeve with this bridge is that almost a third of it, towards the front, is empty and unused space. Even the forward consoles are above it. Why have a pit at the front of the bridge that no one can use? Argh!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The CO is supposed to be the center of attention, but the proucers deliberately wanted to de-centralize the command structure on the bridge and give it less of a 'flaying machine' look."

Wow.

This for the commanding officer who has her senior staff periodically eat her flesh as a team-building exercise.

Or, for those alien captains who can store up complex chemical triggers in their skin, which, when removed and consumed, selectively tweaks the biochemistry of their crew. Like, let's get the away team ready for a dangerous mission. Massage those adrenals!

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok here is a question. I dont know how many people have noticed but in a few episodes of TNG Im not sure which ones off the top of my head but it seems during Red Alert additional crew stations could be scene over Datas left shoulder. Where did these come from and what do they do? I know Im not the only one to have seen them or am I?

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O_o;;

No stations ever just "pop up" on any Trek bridge during alert conditions. Only the extra consoles on Spock's science station in the early TOS-movies is like that. On the E-D, there are no stations on the side of the bridge except in "Yesterday's Enterprise" in the third season, where an alternate timeline added stations to each side for just that episode, and then more permenantly so in the "Generations" movie before they blew up the set...

Hey, anyone ever done a schematic of the "Yesterday's Enterprise" bridge? I remember liking it much more than the "Generations" bridge, whose additions never seemed to jive with the existing motif. The "YE" bridge tacked on stations over the existing walls, but didn't add any seats. While it was not as involved as the movie, IMO it was much better than the uncomfortable-looking chairs and stools added in "Generations". I like to think that Starfleet had that as a potential bridge design for the Galaxy class, and maybe even during the Dominion War a GCS or two was outfitted that way...

Mark

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that I never understood was why the tactical station didn't have a chair or stool or something. The officer could easily look over the captain's head. Except for in Generations when they added the stations and raised the 3 chairs up.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping the ST:Mag or the Fact Files would have reproduced a drawing of the "Yesterday's Enterprise" alternate E-D bridge, but alas they never did. Of course I would have liked to have seen drawings of all bridges (including variations) we saw on all the Starfleet ships.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I as well. Downloads or not, I was buying the STMs that had bridges that I liked.

As for the Generations bridge stools, Worf WAS still able to easily see over the captain's head. It's just that their heads were so much closer that Worf could literally breathe down Picard's neck if he wanted to.

Pic Here

What I really like about the YE and Gen bridges is that the center seat(s) are finally raised above the con/ops stations. For seven years, while sitting down all Picard, Riker and Troi could see were the heads of Data and whoever was flying the ship. No wonder Riker was always perched on the Ops console. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
"Ryker"?

That's for you ba-by!
You nailed me on it a few weeks back if you recall. [Big Grin]

I dont know what it is with me: I worked with someone named "Ryker" for a year with that spelling and while I know the guy from Trek is "Riker", I just type it wrong anyway. (shrug)

It seems I'm a fucktard.
It's been that kinda day.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Re: Jenol!n's bridge - it was symmetrical in general, with the side alcoves being different. It was a custom (non re-used) set, with the common center chair, forward TNG consoles, and an aft console for Scotty to use for Engineering purposes. Geordi flew the ship from the center chair, probably using the backup con/ops controls aluded to as far back as "Encounter at Farpoint". The alcoves off to the sides had the transporter and the engineering greeblies that Scotty and Geordi could stick their heads under.

Except that the Jenolin used the same bridge (externally) as the Reliant.

Why in hell would there have been a transporter on the bridge anyway?
The ship is HUGE! It'd have to be capable of ferrying hundreds of passangers (scale based on the nacelles and the bridge).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe it was "Yesterday's Enterprise" that I was thinking of

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Speaking of holographic displays. I was watching some La Femme Nikita episodes on DVD and they had one. Operations used it every episode for the briefings. If LFN could afford it, I don't see why ST can't.

The holo-displays in season 1 were pretty crappy, though. They got better as the series went on. They could probably afford it because of all the money they were saving on completely unrealistic explosion effects [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one wonders why they didn't use the same seats as the back station for the new side stations on the Generations bridge, since they seem to have the shapes of the chairs there under the pannels
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps