Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nebula Class issues (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nebula Class issues
Jamaharon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(This relates to the SWDAO Nebula thread)

On my Nebula Class page, there are some issues that I'd like to discuss.

First, what is the current status of the USS Hera? In a recent Voyager episode, I remember vaugley something mentioned about after five years with no contact of a ship, they presume it destroyed. So, here we are five years later, and no Hera. Perhaps she has been found, but we don't know about it.

Was the Lexington in "First Contact"? I am aware of the "Lexicon" stuff, and in my opinion it's BS, unless someone has told us otherwise.

The Melbourne. How many of us actually believe that she was a Nebula Class AND an Excelsior Class in "Best of Both Worlds"? It seems stupid to think so. I stick with the Melbourne to be the Nebula Class. Who labeled the Excelsior model Melbourne in "Emissary"? I think it was yet another mistake by the DS9 production team.

Was the USS ? NCC-71905 destroyed by the Prometheus? It didn't look like there was a massive explosion. I really wish we could at least get this minor question answered.

That's about it, and if you've found any other "inconsistancies" on the URL posted above, pleast post-away!

------------------
Welcome to the United Federation of Planets! I am the Risian LCARS system. Please, enjoy your stay, and if you need further assistance, you may access me at any of our terminals.

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Endeavour and Lexington were both mentioned in FC, and one of the two might have been the Nebula we saw.

The Melbourne was changed to an Excelsior because the Excelsior model was more detailed.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hera is probably considered destroyed. It was supposed to show up on Voyager but the idea fell through.

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Endeavor was suppose to have a big role in the battle scene of First Contact, but was changed to Defiant so they could have Worf come in. The Endeavor in FC was also suppose to be a new class, according to John Eaves in the Generation/First Contact Sketchbook. I'm not saying that there is an Endeavor-class... but the Endeavor mentioned in FC could of been the one John Eaves drew up sketches for that were dropped and never used.

Hobbes

TheFSD.com

------------------
Evil moonbase: $50,000,000.00 Giant laser: $100,000,000.00 Perfect 1/8 size clone: Priceless.
For everything else there's...Austin Powers.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, there's a SWDAO topic right there. Was the Endeavour in FC the old one, or was a new one, as originally intended?

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Pedro
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jamaharon: What's this business about the Nebula variant with the extended hangar bay (USS Prometheus)? On what are you basing that? As I remember, the nebula class Prometheus was just the regular model, the only variation of which I've seen (excluding the Phoenix) would be Foundation Imaging's model, which is only slightly different if you don't count the extra saucer windows. These differences can be chalked up to difficulties in reproducing the engineering hull shape and lazyness in making the saucer textures.
IP: Logged
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nebula in First Contact was supposedly the USS Endeavor, since there was to be and Endeavor Class USS Endeavor but was changed to the late USS Defiant NX-74205. About which USS Lexington was present in the battle with the Enterprise-E, I would go on the Nebula Class Lexington since I didn't see an Excelsior Class anywhere unless it was blown up. So, basically, the Nebula Class in FC could have been either the Endeavor or the Lexington unless you wanna believe that the Excelsior Class USS Lexington was blown up. Maybe Vice-Admiral Hayes used it as his ship even though it was not confirmed at all.

------------------
"Am I your fire
Your one desire
Yes I know it's too late
But I want it that way."

- Backstreet Boys

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, the USS Melbourne in the Wolf 359 massacare is officially an Excelsior Class. I, on the other hand, thought that it was a Nebula Class since I could see the remains of a Nebula Class starship from the viewscreen of the Enterpirse-D. But since the people at DS9 used the more detailed Excelsior Class model, later modified to be the Enterprise-B, one could say that that the Nebula Class remains could be the USS Bellerophon or another Nebula Class starship (USS Liberator).

------------------
"Am I your fire
Your one desire
Yes I know it's too late
But I want it that way."

- Backstreet Boys

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

As for the Nebula Class seen in the Voyager episode "Message in a Bottle," it did not look like it was destroyed, nor was it mentioned as being destroyed. The explosions I saw came from the support stucture for that triangular pod and from the secondary hull, right near where the warp core ejection hatch is.

------------------
"Am I your fire
Your one desire
Yes I know it's too late
But I want it that way."

- Backstreet Boys

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's just me, but is anyone else wary of that sig?

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Wait a second, the USS Hera was to be on Voyager? This may sound a bit off, but what if the producers had thought of having Voyager run into the Hera, but then decided not to do it for some reason or another. Then the basic concept of Voyager running into a genuine Federation starship became the episode "Equinox?"

------------------
"But I want it that way"

-Backstreet Boys

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There could be lots of reasons:

1. Unavailability of the Silva laForge actress (assuming she was still going to be alive).

2. Assuming they might want to bring on some of the crew, there'd be a whole lot of Vulcans around, and they might not want that on the show.

3. Where's the conflict? Maybe the Hera's been stolidly making its way back home, but there's nothing very interesting about that. And I think they'd have problems with turning Geordi's mother into a Ransom-type psycho. . . and if she'd died, you'd probably have a Vulcan in charge, and the evil-Vulcan thing has been done to death (the ones in "Gambit," the one who fancied Belanna, the baseball-playing ones, the nutter in "Field of Fire. . .").

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Okay, those are good reasons. Anyway, who said that they do not like my signature????????????????????????

------------------
"But I want it that way"

-Backstreet Boys

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd hardly call being attracted to Torres an evil thing.

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Melbourne's registry is NCC-62043. This would put it in the Nebula-class range, not the Excelsior-class. However since the Star Trek: Encyclopedia says Excelsior-class and it hasn't been contridicted on-screen I'll have to go with what the encyclopedia says. Of course if Michael Okuda took a look at the Melbourne's registry while doing the encyclopedia he should of relized it's too high to be an Excelsior-class ship.

Hobbes

TheFSD.com

------------------
Evil moonbase: $50,000,000.00 Giant laser: $100,000,000.00 Perfect 1/8 size clone: Priceless.
For everything else there's...Austin Powers.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps