Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » First Contact: The Deflector Dish (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: First Contact: The Deflector Dish
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a rare one: We're watching the rerun of First Contact on Sci-Fi, and they've just blown up the emitter module on the deflector dish.

So my dad (my dad!) asked, "Now, don't they need to use the deflector dish to create the temporal vortex to make it back home?"

My jaw dropped, mainly because I couldn't think of a good answer. A treknology nit that my dad thought of, but not me? Egads!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must resist the urge to rant about how overrated and hackneyed First Contact is...must resist...

Oh shit, you're right!! [Eek!]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the Enterprise-E have an auxiliary deflector assembly like the Enterprise-D had? If so, then they might have been able to use that instead.

Your dad made a good catch. I never noticed that before, either.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did? Didn't they use the warp coils to recreate the "temporal vortex"?

And Mim, shush. [Razz]

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is the aux deflector on the Sovy?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I've thought about it, I leaning with Manticore. I missed the first half-hour when Sci-Fi played it tonight, and it's been about two years since I last First Contact. However, I can't remember Data, LaForge, Picard, or anyone saying that they were using the deflector dish to follow the Borg cube into the temporal conduit. All I remember is the report of Borgified Earth, discussion of the Borg going back in time, and Picard ordering them to follow the Borg.

If I could find my copy of the movie, I'd check.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One relevant piece of technobabble in the time travel scene is that the shields of the E-E (and apparently also of the sphere) are down. It doesn't sound likely, then, that a "deflector" would be vital for the trick, either...

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that Geordi says they're using the deflector to recreate the Borg's temporal vortex during the return trip. He might have even said the main deflector. I could be wrong. I do know that this question has been raised before and that the PTB have suggested they had another deflector on board in mothballs that they installed.

And yes, I'm pretty sure the Ent E has an Aux. Nav Deflector. All the cool ships are installing them these days.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the dish and the deflector different? Isn't the dish mainly for communications? On the Refit Connie the deflector parts were points around the outside of the 'dish' part.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I searched through the script and nothing indicates they used the deflector to return home. In fact, from a quick scan, I didn't see any technobabble explaination of HOW they generated the temporal vortex to return home.

As for what the main deflector dish is for, here is an excerpt from the script:

quote:
RIKER
What are they doing?

WORF
They appear to be modifying the
deflector dish.

TROI
To do what? If they wanted a
weapon, they could've taken over
a phaser bank or torpedo bay...

RIKER
Deflector dish... why the
deflector dish...?

WORF
It doesn't make sense. The
deflector is only used for
shielding and long range
sensors...

Riker stares at the screen... notices something.

RIKER
Computer -- magnify grid twenty-
one alpha.

The image on the Viewscreen ZOOMS IN to a specific
point on the deflector dish, giving us a clear view of
two Borg who have opened a gigantic panel on the dish.
They appear top be modifying power conduits in some
fashion.

WORF
They're re-routing the deflector
power conduits...

RIKER
Computer -- thermal enhancement.

The image now is overlaid with an INFRARED VIEW of what
they're doing. The power conduits are glowing bright
red, very hot -- we can see the heat signature travel
back behind the dish and connect to a corkscrew-shaped
coil, which is pulsing.

RIKER
They're connecting the conduits to
subspace communications...

WORF
(realizing)
They're converting the deflector
dish into an antennae...

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Into an antennae... Hmm. *peeks through window* Oh look, an eagles!

If they could build a com device capable of reaching the opposite side of the galaxy using only parts of a Sovereign deflector dish, wouldn't Starfleet want to learn of that device? Sounds useful.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The aired version of the movie has Geordi simply say that he has modified "the warp field" to match that of the Borg Sphere to recreate the time vortex. Nothing about deflectors there. And the piece with Riker and Worf speculating is also missing, replaced by Picard's superior knowledge of Borg motivations and plans.

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, they coulda just fixed the thing, replacing whatever it was that was shot off - Voyager did this weekly. Or, the part that was lost wasn't integral to forming a temporal vortex - the rest of the thing isn't just a dish, you know.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
The aired version of the movie has Geordi simply say that he has modified "the warp field" to match that of the Borg Sphere to recreate the time vortex. Nothing about deflectors there. And the piece with Riker and Worf speculating is also missing, replaced by Picard's superior knowledge of Borg motivations and plans.

Unfortunately.
It looks like a cool scene as lost there....but Riker was on Earth for the whole movie in the final version, so they would have had to use someone else: Hwak would have been ideal in that scene though (with Worf saying Riker's lines and Hawk with Worf's).

Mark's right about the ability to fix the Deflector: with only one deflector, the ship would need to be able to make repairs to it and fabricate parts when needed.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I did a little digging around EAS just now, and it seems that the Sovereign design actually does have a secondary deflector -- one of those types that is probably just a window according to the CGI modellers, but is repurposed according to Okuda or Sternbach or whoever.

At least, the Fact Files says that there's an auxiliary deflector:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/factfiles/sovereign-cutaway.jpg

I'll dig out my copy of "Star Trek: Captain's Chair" tonight and see what the interactive MSD has to say for itself.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps