Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » First Contact: The Deflector Dish (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: First Contact: The Deflector Dish
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ug.
I hate that style of cutaway.
It makes the ship look like it has mange.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... Call me weird, but I don't think that there's any kind of problem - it's not like enitre dish blew up or something - they have only detached "particle emitter".

We simply don't know enough to determine whether this would disable entire deflector dish or not. Clearly, this didn't seemed to be a problem for Picard&Co.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They burned the deflector out in TNG so that leads me to belive they have replacement components. I imagine a burn out would require alot of replacements.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise D was designed with a deflector on the saucer- those big square things that most take to be windows on the saucer's ventral side- just fore of the (horribly lame) captain's yacht.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain's YECHT.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spelled "Raymond luxury jatcht" but pronounced "Throatwobbler mangrove"... [Wink]

Actually those are the same "windows" that are missing on the unmodified AMT/ERTL Model of the D.

And as for
quote:
Where is the aux deflector on the Sovy?
Right next to the flux capacitor! [Smile]

By the way and off-topic, I rewatched "Hollow Pursuits" yesterday and in that episode Barclay actually says something about a "flux capacitor" he checked in an antigrav-module! I guess it was an in-joke...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A Buckaroo Banzai joke- Denise Okuda worked on that movie.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The flux capacitor is from Back to the Future, not Buckaroo Banzai.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ah.
I was thinking of the Overthruster, I guess.

I really can't sit throygh any of those BTTF movies.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<--- Owns the DVD set [Razz]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OSCILLATION overthruster.

http://www.figmentfly.com/bb/q30.html

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to get into opinions-that-people-are-perfectly-entitled-to-have, but...
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

You are an idiot.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wondered whether they would have needed a working deflector to get �home,� though I never really thought that there was enough technobabble in FC to establish this one way or the other.

quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
Actually those are the same "windows" that are missing on the unmodified AMT/ERTL Model of the D.

Actually, the windows that are missing from the ERTL 1701-D kit forward of the Captain�s Yacht are just that: windows. The four square windows that are generally identified as the secondary deflector are indeed on the model.

Quite frankly, I think that these square ports were likely originally conceived as simply windows, and it was later �decided� that the ship needed a secondary deflector.

My Model Gallery:
http://home.comcast.net/~commander-dan/page5.html

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Nice models there: if you like the 650th scale TOS stuff, run a search for John Payne and for Dave Tomita's models: the best TOS stuff I've ever seen.

...I think you may have used too bright an orange on your Galaxy's deflector dish though (but I prefer the "onscreen look").

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Not to get into opinions-that-people-are-perfectly-entitled-to-have, but...
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

You are an idiot.
And you like sugary Hollywood crap.
Next you'll be telling us you like The Black Hole. [Wink]
Really, the BTTF stuff is just too silly for my tastes (though far better than a lot of the drek out there (Event Horizon, Pitch Black, etc.).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see how BTTF can be compared to The Black Hole. Mainly because I haven't seen it. But calling a comedy "silly" would seem to be missing the point somewhat.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps