Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Temptechtions! ["Bound" Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Temptechtions! ["Bound" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psst - hey, there IS new Trek tonight, folks!

But not too much to expect, tech-wise. Perhaps we'll be surprised, perhaps it's just the encroaching state of apathy now that we know that there will only be five more tech reviews after this, and then none for the forseeable future. And perhaps it's because we KNOW it's a skin episode of Trek that the producers THOUGHT would be good for ratings. Ah well... Look for:

-New suggestions of political maneuvering by Earth, working towards the coming coalition.

-More on Orion culture, only really seen earlier this season as a bunch of overhormonal green guys with huge assets in both genders.

-Anything on the Orion ships, which we knew were a challenge for Enterprise to match. Will they be characteristically eaiser to beat this time around?

-Machinations in the chain of command. Commander Kelby actually has a character this time around, and will rub elbows with more than Trip's leftover command style.

-On that, mentions of the "repairs" Enterprise is undergoing with Trip's "help". Unlike previous battles, the fun Enterprise and Columbia had with the Klingons left both ships apparently unscathed, at least from the outside. Perhaps the warp 5+ kajiggering they did has mucked up the core?

-Booty. Lots and lots and lots of booty.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-- Still more name-dropping. This time Berengaria VII (the closed-captioninging said "Berengarius") and its dragons, mention by Spock in "This Side of Paradise" (TOS), the Gorn Hegemony ("the less said about them, the better"), and the Deltans (with which Travis had a close encounter aboard the Horizon when he was 15).

-- A new Orion vessel of a different but fitting configuration, and what appear to be decorative markings on the exterior.

-- Booty. Green booty. Much green booty.

-- Kelby is a little bitch. Some character.

-- They used some technobabble modulated pulse from the deflector to cause an "energy cascade." Woop whoop.

-- It's actually the females who control the Orion Syndicate, it's the males who are the slaves, controlled by the powerful pheremones of the animal women. An interesting twist, but not a particularly sensical one.

-- Vulcans are immune to the Orion pheremones and beacuse Trip and T'Pol are psychically joined, Trip gains immunity as well.

-- They did one of those awful bits like on TOS where the Vulcan says something "funny" and the whole senior staff stands there laughing forever. I hated those on TOS, and I hated it here.

-- Trip and T'Pol have made up and Trip is coming back to Enterprise.

-- Next week's episode is going to fucking ROCK.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if upn will show "In a Mirror Darkly" next week since instead of showing a promo, they announced that they would show some yankees baseball game, kinda like they did for storm front when they said they were going to show the episode and at the last minute showed a baseball game. I hope they don't do that cause if they do they'll make me angry, and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bound, well, it was ok.

But did you see the Defiant in that MU-trailer??? [Big Grin]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- Trip and T'Pol were unaffected, but so were all the other females on the ship, right? Where were they, then?

- The Orions use grapplers. The first time aliens don't have tractors?

- Frankly, I don't believe Harrad-Sar's claim about Orion males.

- I vaguely recall a plot inbetween the sweating men and half-naked green women. I could be mistaken though.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-You were.

-I can accept an Orion matricarchy, with "slavery" being used as a weapon for expansion and conquest. It's as thin an explanation as the garments the Orion babes were wearing, but I can buy it.

-Kelby was called a lieutenant by Trip, despite his rank pips and dialogue in the previous episodes. Likewise, Kelby constantly called Trip "sir".

-The Orion babes were locked up in decon, which was wise enough. A new door has apparently been installed.

-I know some hyposprays can dispense different drugs, but does this era's equivalent do so? I'm pretty sure Phlox injects himself with the same hypo as he did Kelby, though obviously with a different drug. This seems muchly like an ad lib on the part of the actor.

-Can people tow a ship at warp with a grappler? If not, where can they expect to go at non-FTL speeds?

-Trip mentions pounds as a weight reference instead of kilos.

-Have the previous Orion babes we've seen had such greasy hair?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah grappler thing was pretty cool to see. Though to be honest I find my opinion of the episode is weird. I actually enjoyed the orion babes, but if this episode appeared in enterprise season 1, I would have hated it. Oh wait, I just remembered 4 years ago I didn't have raging hormones.

-Mars

QuinnTV
Member # 859

- posted      Profile for QuinnTV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
-Kelby was called a lieutenant by Trip, despite his rank pips and dialogue in the previous episodes. Likewise, Kelby constantly called Trip "sir".

Trip later remarked that Kelby didn't think the promotion would come through. Perhaps it was to take effect once Trip was *really* gone, in order to have one senior engineer?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
- Trip and T'Pol were unaffected, but so were all the other females on the ship, right? Where were they, then?

No, the human women were all affected as well. Phlox said that the pheremones acted to "discourage competition" by making females listless and causing bad headaches.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
-The Orion babes were locked up in decon, which was wise enough. A new door has apparently been installed.

Actually, that was a partition that presumably came down from the ceiling to separate the chamber in two smaller subunits---Archer was actually standing inside the chamber and the familiar door and window were behind him. (I presume they did this so they could show us more of the girls up close and so Bakula could do his goldfish impression.)

quote:
-Can people tow a ship at warp with a grappler? If not, where can they expect to go at non-FTL speeds?
Well he said there were a pair of interceptors waiting, so perhaps they weren't far. Especially since the Orion plan always involved disabling Enterprise.

quote:
He's that kind of down-home-folk-type of guy. [Wink]

quote:
-Have the previous Orion babes we've seen had such greasy hair?

Yes, except for Marta in "Whom Gods Destroy" (TOS), with her cute little butch-cut. Rawr!

By the way, I didn't at all dislike this episode and thought it was pretty solid overall, (except for the gender-role reversal thing and the subsequent T'Pol "joke") I just found it easy to make fun of.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unlike physicists, there are quite a few engineers in the US who still use the so-called English system of units (e.g. pound, inch, mile, etc.). I think it's partially because engineers often have to work with machinists, many of whom have only a high-school diploma and never learned the metric system (because our school system simply can't teach science). The system of units we use in America is utter crap and should have been replaced by the metric system decades ago. I certainly hope that by the 22nd century the metric system will have been universally adopted.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, considering Trip is from Florida, and we in the ol' USA actually shot at metric speed limit signs when they tried that a couple of decades ago (not me personally), it doesn't surprise me in the least that he thinks of his weight in pounds.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trip obviously had quite a dislike for Kelby. Not only did he refer to him as "lieutenant" (surely he was already a LCDR before being promoted?), but he insisted that he was going to let the guy have the chief engineerhood back, even though he knew he had already requested a permanent transfer back to Enterprise.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I thought about that too. Either the writer just didn't edit his script very well, or Trip is going to take a demotion. Or maybe he's really just an asshole and is going to remain chief engineer despite what he told Kelby. Yeah, I think that's the most likely answer. [Wink]

I also find it hard to believe that Trip was granted a transfer back to Enterprise three days before, and Archer (and consequently, T'Pol) wasn't aware of this.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zefram:
Unlike physicists, there are quite a few engineers in the US who still use the so-called English system of units (e.g. pound, inch, mile, etc.). I think it's partially because engineers often have to work with machinists, many of whom have only a high-school diploma and never learned the metric system (because our school system simply can't teach science). The system of units we use in America is utter crap and should have been replaced by the metric system decades ago. I certainly hope that by the 22nd century the metric system will have been universally adopted.

And its because of the US still using that backwards system that I (an engineer in training in Canada) have to learn the system as well. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kept thinking that one of Kelby's pips was a golden colour, but it was just a trick of the light. Looks like we'll never get to see a half-pip then.

And. . . the Art Asylum phase pistols are back! Trip definitely had one, not sure about Reed's. Either they'd made the decision that the toys look as good as the actual props, or the props have suffered too much wear-and-tear; or - and my money's on this - prescient film-crew members have been helping themselves to the originals before the show goes off the air!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps