Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Star Fleet shipyards (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Fleet shipyards
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Encyclopedia, the surface facilities were seen from space briefly in "Parallels" (TNG). In addition, the Martian city that the Doctor and Danara visited in "Lifesigns" (VGR) was supposed to be Utopia Planitia. One of the models even has a Starship Development logo on the side.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Well.. it says "Intrepid Class Development Project", so maybe it's only one of the surface facilities. Hard to believe an entire colony would be devoted to one vessel design, though. And why in the world would Tom Paris create a romantic program with a Starship Development facility in it?

"Hey baby... the only place I've seen navigational deflectors *that* big are on the ship they're designing on the other side of that hill... May I modulate your positron flow?"

When did we see them in "Parallels"? The Ent never went to the Sol system in that ep, did they? Ohhhh... it's one of the facilities being monitored by the co-opted Argus Array. I wonder if they used the same model... now that would be some righteous detail rememberance.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is how (part of) the facility looked from the view of the Argus Array in "Parallels." (It's the one in the lower right-hand corner.)

And, presumably, the development facilities are only part of a larger civilian colony.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
McKinley Station ... named after US President McKinley?

Leave this to the Canadian to figure out...I think that McKinley was indeed named for the US President. Through my research he was the 25th President and the repair facility made its premiere during the 25th Anniversary of Trek.

That may be a BTS explanation for the choice of the name, but...

Has the 40 Eridani Ship Yards been mentioned yet...Vulcan produced Miranda Classes there such as the USS Brattain.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Through a link somewhere on the first page.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Through my research he was the 25th President and the repair facility made its premiere during the 25th Anniversary of Trek."

I guarantee you, with all of my heart and soul, that there is no correlation.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm only saying that it may be a Behind-the-Scenes explanation as to why that name was chosen for the station. Not an in-universe one.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or another possibility- In 'Assignment: Earth', the episode with Gary Seven, the rocket launch was held at McKinley Rocket Base. McKinley Station may be a homage to that facility.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm only saying that it may be a Behind-the-Scenes explanation as to why that name was chosen for the station. Not an in-universe one."

I feel confident that he knew that.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps