Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Refit/Enterprise-A crew quarters locations? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Refit/Enterprise-A crew quarters locations?
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that Kirk's Quarters in the Refit, are on D-deck, Spock's Quarters are on C-deck (ST-III), and in ST-II, it's implied that Saviik and McCoy's quarters might also be on C-deck (in ST-II, after Kirk and Saviic get on, on D-deck, they go up and then Saviic gets off and and McCoy gets on, then they go to the Bridge). I'm thinking that Admiral Kirk's D-deck quarters are a VIP suite, since Decker is Captain in TMP, then Spock is captain in ST-II/III. Does V or VI tell us where his quarters are? I'm wondering if Kirk's quarters in VI are different from his quarters in TMP, because he's not in the VIP suite any more.

Anybody have a clue? There aren't any clues as to where the bunks seen in ST-VI are, either.. is there? I need to re-watch VI, since there was so much signage all over the place, it's easy to miss one.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk's quarters have always been on E Deck (Deck 5). On the Excelsior, Sulu's quarters were on Deck 3.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a mighty long trip Kirk and Saavik took up one deck! Even without the extended hold... They must have taken the long way around. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the lift had to travel vertically for a bit along the curvature of the saucer before turning to go horizontally up a deck.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horizontally up?

But yeah, they could be traveling from one end of the saucer to the other.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shoot. I got my vertical and horizontal mixed up again. Maybe the lift travelled horizontally along the same deck before going up a deck vertically.

Doy.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought about that... But if you think about it, and more importantly look at any of the blueprints over the years, neither D nor C deck are really that big.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That brings up another nagging question.. wouldn't they have a horrid wait for the turbolift, with only one shaft going up and down the dorsal? Perhaps the 'hold' shunted them to the side and they had to wait for traffic to clear...

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The incredibly helpful but not overly perceptive lift AI switched into extra-slow romantic liaison mode?
TheWoozle
Member # 929

Mirror-Universe Kirk has a distintegrator beam... makes sense.

I realized another conclusion.. since Kirk was a visiting VIP in TMP through ST-III, he's not staying in a standard Officer's Quarters. Captain Spock's quarters are on C-deck, so that would imply that the VIP suites are on D-deck and we've seen them. Heh, another part of the ship revealed!

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheWoozle
quote:
Mirror-Universe Kirk has a distintegrator beam... makes sense.

What does that have to do with the topic?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes travel faster. If you disintegrate them, they can't hold up the d@mn elevator.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's hope Ken Livingstone doesn't get wind of it. The Congestion Charge is bad enough. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought Kirk got stationed on the "easy-to-overhear-incriminating-monologue" deck?

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D-deck VIP quarters for Kirk would make sense, in terms of a) Kirk being a VIP and b) D-deck being appreciably close to supposed VIP facilities (the aft-facing lounge).

However, C-deck for Spock makes a bit less sense, since the quarters we see in the graphic that Chekov points at are on the outer rim of the saucer (more specifically, they are where FJ put the brig complex). I tend to think that Chekov's funny accent is to blame here: Spock may actually resided on deck E or deck G in the movie. (In fact, deck F would be the correct location as per the graphics, but it's less likely that Chekov could mangle the pronunciation of that letter into "C".)

OTOH, having the captain berthed close to the bridge would probably be prudent. Even if his or her official quarters are on deck 5 or something, Spock would no doubt have appropriated a deck 3 broom closet and converted it into his quarters, as this was the logical thing to do...

As for McCoy, his door plate does suggest deck 3 quarters in TOS. So all in all, having all the top officers (Kirk, McCoy, Spock in TOS; Decker/Spock, McCoy and the ghosts of the first officers past, present and future in TFS) berthed on C deck would be a satisfactory solution, even if it means that there's no room for anything else on that deck.

I forget: what is the reason that people generally claim Kirk was berthed on deck 5 in TOS? Was there something specific in "Journey to Babel"? Or do people just go by the fact that Kirk strolled through that deck while on his way to his quarters?

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps