Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Was watching my Red Dwarf VI DVDs... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Was watching my Red Dwarf VI DVDs...
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...specifically the episode "Psirens" where Starbug flies through a spaceship graveyard, when I noticed something: One of the models was a wrecked Vor'cha! (I could also make out the Narcissus escape pod from Alien, and what looked like an Eagle from Space:1999)

This got me thinking: What other TV shows or movies featured a cameo of a Star Trek ship model? I can think of a few:

-You can quickly see a wrecked version of the TMP-Enterprise as it flies across the screen in the movie "Heavy Metal" (yes, I know it's animated, but it's still interesting)

-In the movie "Zapped," Scott Baio uses his powers to make a kit-bashed model fly across the room. The model is of the Millenium Falcon turned backwards, with Connie nacelles & pylons attached to the top "rear" of the ship (thereby making the MF the "saucer section" of the model. (Yeah, this one technically doesn't count 'cause it's also SW, but hey, I hought it was cool)

Any other instances come to mind?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Simpsons episode where Bart turns into a Nerd and Martin Prince helps him escape from bullies by going into the 'refuge of the damned'.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the Enterprise suppossed to be in amoungst all the background traffic on Coruscant during Episode 1? I've never seen it though (because, y'know, I'd have to watch the film again. And I'm not doing that.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I thought it was the Discovery from 2001. Weren't they notified?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, their AE-35 subspace-antenna gyro-control unit was malfunctioning.
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a movie or TV show, but I remember some old Legion of Superheroes comic (I think) in which they showed a dump where, among other things, were a Constitution-class starship and what looked like the Jupiter II...
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so shows which aren't Trek featuring Trek starships? Does Enterprise having a Constitution-class starship appear in one double-episode count? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, because Enterprise is Star Trek.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humour!

[No, I didn't spell it wrong. It's funnier this way because Lee is British, you small-minded fools.]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely this thread only makes sense if we're talking about the use of actual physical models from Star Trek, right? I guess? I don't know, because otherwise, I mean, you can see glimpses of Star Trek stuff all over.

Anyway, there's a model of the original Enterprise in the control room at the end of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shit i dont get jokes
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching Trippin the Rift and in one episode there's a scene with the tos enterprise in a wreck and a drunk Mr. Spock being interviewed.

In The Simpsons the family was watching a Star Trek Christmas Special and the connie was featured.

Family Guy featured an episode of Star Trek with the connie (the one where Shatner is run over by Meg).

In a Saturday Night Live skit, there was kid playing with a spaceship that was pretty much a Playmates Ent-D with a Kenner Millenium Falcon strapped to it.

While this is not a show, when I was a wee lad the Hayden Planeterium in New York had what a appeared to be a severly battle damaged Miranda-class(Saratoga?) next to a piece of a Borg Cube. Boy I used to love looking at that ship but when the planeterium was renovated the model was apparently taken out. BASTARDS!!!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it WAS some of the physical models from "Emissary" - I watched a special effects show showcasing Emissary - and Rob Legato blew up like three Saratogas to get the right effect.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well were the Saratoga models small? This model was roughly the size of the Playmates Enterprise-D toy but it did indeed seem to be a production model since it was highly detailed. One thing to note is that it did not appear to have those weird rods on the sides like the Saratoga and I think it had a rollbar. Could it have been the Reliant?
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Maybe it WAS some of the physical models from "Emissary" - I watched a special effects show showcasing Emissary - and Rob Legato blew up like three Saratogas to get the right effect.

I think I remember that show... didn't they also show how the DS9 model was built?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps