Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Was watching my Red Dwarf VI DVDs... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Was watching my Red Dwarf VI DVDs...
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a horrible-looking film I saw in the video store called something like "Mutants on the Bounty" and the "ship" is the upside-down command pod from the Romulan Warbird in the three-model "Adversary" set from AMT, connected directly to the aft vertical dorsal thingie from the same model, with some other, familiar-looking bits tossed in.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here's the rules:

1. The use of said Star trek model has to be an actual use of the thing as a space ship in whatever TV show/movie it's featured in. (i.e. no use as desktop displays or toys)

2. It doesn't count if the model actually represents what it's suppposed to represent (i.e. the Enterprise shown in Futurama was in fact the Enterprise)

3. No parodies (i.e. the SNL skit where the Ent-D was stuck on the end of a much larger "Love Boat" model in when Patrick Steward guest-hosted)

So Peregrinus' entry is a good example of what I'm looking for. To add to that, I was in Best Buy the other day, and noticed the cover of some T&A flick taking place in the future. The cover showed such large-breasted B-movie actresses like Julie Strain in futuristic getups. Anyway, their ship was Chakotay's Maquis raider. (At least that was the picture on the cover; I didn't bother to buy the thing & watch to see if it was in the movie b/c I didn't want to know that bad).

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not physical models, but several CGI models from Voyager(Baxial, Steth's ship, Kes' Ship and a few others) were used as "extras" in space scenes in Firefly. That seems to happen quite often nowadays in sci-fi shows, presumeably because the same CGI artists are working on them all. The Firefly CG model appeared in the Battlestar Gallactica mini-series.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure about that? Zoic, the effects company for Firefly, has never done any work for Star Trek, at least according to their webpage. Not to mention that space scenes in Firefly tended to be rather empty.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops. I was wrong about the movie/model combo. "Mutant on the Bounty" (summary here) featured this fugly kitbash of a Y-Wing.

The movie I was thinking of was a horrid little piece of poopie called "Spacejacked". As you can (painfully) see, the ship consists of the two elements I mentioned before, the lower fin is a wing from the Klingon Bird-of-Prey from the same model set, and the upper extension abaft the command pod is the Ferengi Marauder.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Isn't the Enterprise suppossed to be in amoungst all the background traffic on Coruscant during Episode 1? I've never seen it though (because, y'know, I'd have to watch the film again. And I'm not doing that.)

It's Andy Probert's Enterprise study model (the horrid thing with the cardboard cone nacelles) that flies back and forth outside Amidalia's window.
The flying police car from Blade Runner is there as well.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Those Mutant on the Bounty people made the Y-wing look even more like a penis.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With it's Federation Bold registry no less.
The makers of "Spacejacked" should be beaten with an oar.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Are you sure about that? Zoic, the effects company for Firefly, has never done any work for Star Trek, at least according to their webpage. Not to mention that space scenes in Firefly tended to be rather empty.

I don't know for sure how the ships appeared in different series. The idea that artists who worked on more than one sci-fi series may have slipped models from one into another to fill up the screen is just a theory of mine. What I am certain about is that it did somehow happen.

The Baxial, Kes's ship and Steth's ship all visited Niska's station in Firefly, as well as a couple of other ships that look vaguely familiar.

http://johnpearse.partsking.net/PDVD_782.JPG
http://johnpearse.partsking.net/PDVD_786.JPG

The lack of Star Wars ships must've been disturbing them.

http://johnpearse.partsking.net/PDVD_712.JPG

The Firefly model in the first part of the BSG miniseries.

http://johnpearse.partsking.net/PDVD_000.JPG

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the 'caps, Johnny.

BTW, I found that Julie Strain movie I was talking about earlier. It's called "Baberellas," and here's the cover showing the Maquis raider, among...uh, other things...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0000V42AS/ref=dp_product-image-only_0/103-8892053-3459004?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=130&s=dvd

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It cant be a bad movie if it has a oscar winning actress like Julie Strain in it!

IMPOSSIBLE!

Well, it still looks better than Catwoman.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps