Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO - Ships still in use. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SWDAO - Ships still in use.
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bozeman, Constellation, Excelsior, Gettysburg - ships still in use?

The USS Bozeman, Soyuz-class NCC 1941, diappeared in 2278 and reappeared through a tempral distortion in 2368. The name of the ship has been mentioned twice more, making a course correction after the collapse of the Amargosa star (ST:G) and at the Battle of Sector 001 (ST:FC).

But is it the same ship? More than likely. The Soyuz-class was retired ten years after the Bozeman disappeared, but that doesn't mean they'd instantly retire this ship too. They had a ship that was nearly new compared to the Miranda space frames still in use.

A USS Constellation is mentioned in 2371 going to Deep Space Nine. Is this the Constellation class ship, NX-1974 itself? If so, it's 80 to 100 years old. Likewise the Constellation-class USS Gettysburg, NCC-3890 - another Gettysurg has been mentioned in DS9 recently. But as far as we know, all Constellations have been retired by now. Of course, given the need for ships, they may have been brought back into service. Simple answer is, we'll likely never know.

A USS Excelsior is mentioned in 2370. . . if it's the Excelsior, it's 90 years old. Too old for the class? Maybe. Maybe not. Personally, I doubt it is the one. Whether, as with the Constitution, they may have named a second one, or if it's of an entirely different class. . . again, we'll never know, It was a one-line reference.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also the Magellan, BTW...and the Republic, if you want to talk about that.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't know enough about those two, so I hoped someone else might do them and we could combine it later. . .

Anyway. A postscript to the above: in the Enc II entry for the USS Excelsior, it says at the end (in the italics bit): We assume that the Excelsior mentioned in "Interface" was the same ship first seen in Star Trek III because there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Republic was mentioned in "Valiant" as still in use.

About the Excelsior: Your opinion would be based on whether ypou believe a name is retired once it becomes a class. (with the exception being the Defiant)

I believe it is retired so the Excelsior mentioned would have been NX-2000.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #2 : No matter how evil your enemy is always show him mercy when he attempts to surrender.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also don't know about the Bozeman. It would need a massive refit to get up to code. Why waste the resources?

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #2 : No matter how evil your enemy is always show him mercy when he attempts to surrender.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the USS Bozeman, remember the ship disappeared while she was in service; Most likely the ship was in excellent condition. Now, after reappearing from the time loop, Starfleet engineers most likely felt that why decomission a ship that is still space worthy and that since most of the original systems are still actually working. They would need just to add on the systems the ship has and there you go, the ship is upgraded to current Starfleet specifications.

------------------
"But I want it that way"

-Backstreet Boys

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would add that when we the Constellation mentioned, she was acting as a transport, which is a believable task for such an old ship. If she had been mentioned as being on the front lines, that might add some weight towards a new ship.

As for the Republic, my personal preference is for her to be the old Constitution, no refit. Now that would be a site, eh?

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

The First One
Member # 35

Two things: Michale, that's exactly what I'm saying - that the Bozeman is relatively new compared to all the Mirandas they have, so why arbitrarily scrap it? And second, I don't know if they retire class names once they've been used. . .

But let me elaborate on this: the only way for the Constitution-class USS Constitution to have the registry it does is for it to be the second to bear the name. I think a compromise is in order - they only re-use class names if the new ship is of the same class. So I reckon the Excelsior mentioned in "Interface" is most probably a new ship, but more than likely another Excelsior-class one.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the Constellation transporting the young Jem Hadar, awful important cargo to give to an aging transport.

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

[This message was edited by USS Vanguard on June 13, 1999.]

Jamaharon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bozeman was mentioned three times since "Cause and Effect". Once in "All Good Things...", "Generations", and "First Contact".

------------------
Welcome to the United Federation of Planets! I am the Risian LCARS system. Please, enjoy your stay, and if you need further assistance, you may access me at any of our terminals.

IP: Logged
The First One
Member # 35

The USS Republic, NCC-1371, was one of the Constitution-class ships seen in TOS. In DS9's "Valiant" a Republic is mentioned in the context of an old ship now used for Starfleet academy training.

It would be nice if this training ship was the Constitution-class one, especially as a symbol - cadets training on the one of the first of the Federation's great starship lines.But the practicalities do present some problems - for instance, is it the original version or the 2270's refit? Next, how much could they learn on such antiquated technology, apart from elementary skills which they could fall back on if the complicated modern systems failed. Or, the ship could have been upgraded with all the latest systems - but then why not just use a newer ship? They can't be that hard up, not if they can spare a Defiant for a training mission.

Simple answer is, once again, we'll never know!

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[In response to The First One: "They can't be that hard up, not if they can spare a Defiant for a training mission."]

Nothing but the best for Red Squad I suppose. In the DS9 two parter "Homefront" and "Paradise Lost", Admiral Leyton used Red Squad (RS) to knock out the power generator on Earth. And once Sisko discovered how RS was involved Leyton sent them away so they couldn't incrimidate him I guess. This to me appears to be the reason why RS was on the Valiant, but why used something as advanced as a Defiant-class ship? For starters they would of left before the war began, so the need for using a Defiant-class ship wasn't a big deal. Two, being an admiral, Leyton used his authority to use the USS Valiant, also it could of been the only availible ship at the time and Leyton was in a hurry to get RS out of the way.

And the last reason, they really wanted to use another Defiant-class ship on DS9.

Hobbes

------------------
Evil moonbase: $50,000,000.00 Giant laser: $100,000,000.00 Perfect 1/8 size clone: Priceless.
For everything else there's...Austin Powers.

[This message was edited by Hobbes on June 14, 1999.]

The First One
Member # 35

STOP PRESS!!!

I emailed Michael Okuda about the Republic and this was his response:

quote:
There was no specific reference in that episode to indicate whether or not it was the ship mentioned in the original series, but I asked Ron Moore (the episode's writer), and he indicated that he thought it probably was.

So there you go. How does everyone feel about it now?

Regardless of when the Valiant left on its mission, it's still quite unusual for them to use a Defiant-class. How many have we ever seen? There's (in order) the Defiant, an unnamed ship in "A Call To Arms," the two in "MiaB," the Valiant and the Sao Paulo. That's a possible four to six ships, given that the unnamed ones could have been ones we know about already.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Constellation, Gettysburg, Excelsior: There's no hard fact, but it's only a matter of probability whether these ship are still in use.
Pro:
- The Constellation/Excelsior is the class ship, and for historical reasons it might be rather kept operational than another ship of this class.
- The ship might have been built for a lifetime of 80 years or more, so what's the problem?
- Why not keep ships in service as long as they don't have excessive need for repairs? The ships might be in better shape than most of their sister ships.
Contra:
- There are many newer ships from the 24th century already retired (Qualor II).
- Irrespective of its prospective lifetime, it is improbable that the Constellation/Excelsior class survives two or three complete design generations. Starfleet has lots of newer ship classes. The more classes, the more ships and the less older ships will be needed.
- Starfleet has certain standards, and upgrading ships to meet them is a complicated process, much like building new ones. If there are only a few ships of a class left (which seems to be the case with the Constellation class) it is not worth while to start an upgrade program.

Magellan: Basically the same arguments, but the role of the ships better suits a Galaxy class.

Republic: It would be a nice idea (and good naval tradition) to maintain a very old ship (maybe even the first version) as a cadet ship. There is only one objection: Picard says there's one Constitution class in the Fleet Museum (unknown whether he refers to the original or reconstructed version). If there were a ship still in service, he would have said something like: "Constitution class. There's one serving as a cadet ship." There is no excuse Picard does not know this ship, he must know it, just like everyone in Germany knows the only sailing ship of the German Navy.

Bozeman: The Fact Files say explicitly this ship is still in use, in two different files. This is a sign the authors intended the ship from ST:G and ST:FC to be the old Bozeman and did not accidentally use this name. Considering that the ship was relatively new and for some reason might be interesting to keep in service, I can accept this. There is only one strong objection: Wouldn't the Temporal Prime Directive require to return the ship and the crew to the past and, moreover, wouldn't they insist to do so anyway?

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Temporal prime directive would apply because the ship did not go into the past, only the future, and maybe stafleet didn't know how.

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps