Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Number of Constitutions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Number of Constitutions
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, this is a subject I've been thinking out for a while. First, the list of Constitutions (note, this is according to my theories on the Constitution class)

USS Constitution NX-9xx
USS Eagle NCC-956
USS Constellation NCC-1071
USS Republic NCC-1371
USS Intrepid NCC-1631
USS Farragut NCC-1647
USS Potemkin NCC-1657
USS Excalibur NCC-1664
USS Exeter NCC-1672
USS Essex NCC-1697
USS Constitution NCC-1700
USS Enterprise NCC-1701
USS Hood NCC-1703
USS Lexington NCC-1709
USS Kongo NCC-1710
USS Yorktown NCC-1717/USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A
USS Defiant NCC-1764
USS Endeavour NCC-1895

Alright, now that is 18 Constitutions. The line of Kirk's from "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" says there are only 12 Constitutions as of 2266. With the exception of USS Endeavour, all of the Constitution's listed were in service in 2266. That means there are 17 Constitutions. Now, if you support the USS Constitution NX-9xx theory, then the Constitution would have been destroyed by now, that leaves 16 Constitutions. The first to bite the dust on the show is USS Constellation, a year later from Kirk's quote in 2267. That means, according to the list, 16 Constitution class starships are in service in 2266. BUT, Kirk says there are only 12. My question is, what's with the extra 4?

Well, it is possible that USS Defiant NCC-1764 wasn't launched quite yet, which would take off another Constitution. This still leaves 3 more extras.

It is possible those 3 extras were the USS Eagle, USS Constellation, and USS Republic, which, as some theorize, started off as other classes and were converted to Constitution. It is possible, that in 2265 or 2266, the Constellation, Republic and Eagle were in refit. When the Constellation was released from refit, she didn't last very long, and was destroyed by the Planet Killer. This would also explain why the Eagle seems to have survived so long. Also, Kirk never said when he served on the Republic that it was Constitution class. This was an assumption by the Encyclopedia.

Now, here are the Constitution's in service in 2266:

IN SERVICE:
USS Intrepid NCC-1631
USS Farragut NCC-1647
USS Potemkin NCC-1657
USS Excalibur NCC-1664
USS Exeter NCC-1672
USS Essex NCC-1697
USS Constitution NCC-1700
USS Enterprise NCC-1701
USS Hood NCC-1703
USS Lexington NCC-1709
USS Kongo NCC-1710
USS Yorktown NCC-1717

DESTROYED:
USS Constitution NX-16xx

UNDER CONVERSION:
USS Eagle NCC-956, formerly xxxxx class
USS Constellation NCC-1017, formerly xxxxx class
USS Republic NCC-1371, formerly xxxxx class

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:
USS Defiant NCC-1764
USS Endeavour NCC-1895

Fits, doesn't it?

Any comments? This took me about 20 minutes to think out, so there might be some mistakes

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

[This message was edited by The359 on June 16, 1999.]

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Making of Star Trek by Stephen Whitfield gives the names of fourteen starships that were Constitution Class starships.
USS Constellation
USS Constituton Prototype ship
USS Enterprise
USS Excalibur
USS Exeter
USS Farrugut
USS Hood
USS Intrepid
USS Kongo
USS Lexington
USS Potemkin
USS Republic
USS Valiant
USS Yorktown

Additional, the book says that "Enterprise-type" (Constitution Class) ships were operational 40 years before the series began, the USS Farrugut and the USS Valiant were destroyed by the beginning of the series, and the USS Constitution is the prototype. Note: I believe the USS Valiant is not the USS Valiant in "A Taste of Armageddon". This unknown USS Valiant came into service after 2217 and is subsequently lost before 2267.

Based on this, when Capt. Kirk tells the Air Force pilot that there are 12 ships of the Enterprise type in 2267, he is thinking-
USS Constellation
USS Constitution
USS Enterprise
USS Excalibur
USS Exeter
USS Hood
USS Intrepid
USS Kongo
USS Lexington
USS Potemkin
USS Republic
USS Yorktown

In 2268, the USS Defiant is introduced. (The crew had no identifying ship emblem on their uniforms.)

The other ships
USS Eagle
USS Enterprise
USS Endeavor
USS Essex
were introduced after 2268.

Constitution Class ships were being built in the year 2286. There is an unmarked ship of this class in the Spacedock ("The Voyage Home").

Personnally, I don't accept that the USS Enterprise A is a refit of the USS Yorktown. I see her as a new ship. (I don't like the idea of the USS Enterprise A as a Constitution Class ship. I understand that the people who did the fourth movie wanted to save money, but couldn't they have done a new class of ship for the Ent-A?)

IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise's dedication plaque just said "Starship Class" on it.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?

Trinculo
Ex-Member

Hobbes
The description "Enterprise-type" is from the book.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things like dedication plaques (some props) from TOS can't always be taken as canon. Besides, that could refer to the type (i.e. car,truck) of ship and not the name of the ship class.

After 20 years, Gene and crew did a lot of rethinking (for TNG) of what was estab. in TOS.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #3 : Whenever someone under you screws up make sure you teach them a lesson more so than you punish them.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything on the show is canon.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one man's opinion...

A while back I figured out the twelve Constitutions that were in service at the time of "Tommorow Is Yesterday". I used the actual stardates rather than the episode order. I forget which ones I came up with, though...

------------------
"Silence, you contemptible shrew!"
-Stewie, The Family Guy

Trinculo
Ex-Member

Paramount considers the episodes and films to be canonical. The other material is less canonical.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk actually said that there were 'only a dozen like her in the fleet'. Now, a dozen is twelve but it's often used to mean 'about twleve' and the 'like her' bit could mean that the Enterprise wasn't included in the dozen. So that's between say 11 and 14 in service at that time.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, most people who say "a dozen", AFAIK, mean exactly twelve. Otherwise it would be "about a dozen". (Either that, or I've been misinterpreting people for years now...)

I figure the twelve are Eagle, Constellation, Intrepid, Potemkin, Excalibur, Exeter, Constitution (1700) , Hood, Lexington, Kongo, Yorktown, and Defiant. Constitution (9xx), Republic, Farragut, and Essex were already destroyed. Endeavour hadn't been launched yet.

------------------
"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you."
-They Might Be Giants, "Critic Intro"

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Republic can't have been destroyed as she was on an Okudagram in ST VI.

Any reason for trashing the Essex?

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Farragut is also on the Okudagram. Can't remember though. Oh, and would anyone happen to have a screen capture of the elusive Star Trek VI Okudagram?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but we all agree that somethings that Pramount considers canon are illogical. (i.e. length of Defiant class.)

I was referring to Hobbes two posts above me when he mentioned the ded. plaque fot the Enterprise said "Starship class" when we all know it's a Constitution class. Frank, what you said then means you believe the Enterprise was not a Constitution! I know you don't think that.

I meant the technology almost totally changed between shows.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #3 : Whenever someone under you screws up make sure you teach them a lesson more so than you punish them.

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

As far as I know the following are the ships from the two Okudagrams in ST VI:

The Ahwahnee, Challenger, Eagle, Endeavour, Potemkin, Scovil, and Springfield are all part of the Operation: Retrieve plan.

The Ahwahnee, Challenger, Constellation, Emden, Endeavour, Helin, Kongo, Korolev, Lantree, Oberth, Republic, and Whorfin (and possibly a couple others) are all shown on a mission assignment list on the Enterprise in Star Trek VI.

No sign of the Farragut.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The Star Trek Concordance by Bjo Trimble has a full list of starships mentioned in the movie.
USS Ahwahnee
USS Challenger
USS Constellation
USS Eagle
USS Emden
USS Endeavor
USS Helin
USS John Muir
USS Kongo
USS Korolev
USS Lantree
USS Oberth
USS Potemkin
USS Republic
USS Scovil
USS Springfield
USS Whorfin

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps