Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO - Dauntless: first Starfleet ship? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SWDAO - Dauntless: first Starfleet ship?
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fake Federation ship from VOY: "Hope and Fear" had the registry NX-01-A, the number "01" being completely out of range and the letter "A" pointing to an Enterprise-like registry scheme. Tuvok, however, did not seem to be very astonished, let alone suspicious reading the illogical registry. A possible explanation could be that the USS Dauntless NCC- or NX-01 was the first Starfleet ship around 2161, and the new prototype was named and numbered in honor of this commonly known historical vessel. The old Dauntless must not have been a class ship in this case, so only NCC-01 is possible, for class names can't be reused.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the fake Dauntless actually NCC-01A rather than NCC-01-A? If it was then that's not even the same scheme as the Enterprises.

And why would Starfleet label it's first ship NCC-01 instead of NCC-1 (FWIW the WWII USN aircraft carrier USS Enterprise was CV-6) or NCC-001 or NCC-0001? Do you think that Starfleet was expecting to have more than ten ships but fewer than a hundred?

The fake Dauntless registry can be ignored.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The builder of the pseudo USS Dauntless NX-01-A had a tremendous range of Federation information. I believe this to be possible-the first Federation ship is the USS Dauntless NCC-1. She is not of the Daedalus Class.
IP: Logged
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like my explanation better, the ship yard first produce the U.S.S. Daedalus, but something happen to it to just before her christening, so the first ship of the federation was the U.S.S. Dauntless, symbolizing the effort on the part of Earth to continue on after what happen to the Daedalus. The registry of the Dauntless could also be explained as being the first ship, yet not the first of Federation.

U.S.S. Daedalus NX-1 or NCC-1
U.S.S. Dauntless NX-01 or NCC-01
------------------
hello world

[This message was edited by bear on June 17, 1999.]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's actually no reason why the first Starfleet ship has to be a class ship. I can't imagine that Starfleet was a fleet without ships when it was founded in 2161. Construction of new ships would have taken some years, so it is obviously Starfleet took over several ships from member planets, probably predominantly from the UESPA. The Daedalus could have been destroyed by then (Romulan War) or the new Starfleet registries did not have the same order as the previous UESPA numbers. So they probably just picked a ship SS Dauntless S-178-12 (not necessarily Daedalus class) and made it USS Dauntless NCC-01 (I would have preferred NCC-001 or NCC-0001, though).
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or much more likely...

NCC-1 to NCC-150 were all old ships from the Earth, Vulcan, Andorian, etc., fleets that were converted to Starfleet service and the first Starfleet built ship came a few years later (and may or may not have been the USS Daedalus).

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Probably I was the decisive few seconds faster
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the possibility of Daedalus's actually being pre-Federation, because why would the Daedalus last only 30-35 years until her retirement in 2196 or whatever that year was? It seems too short. Maybe if the Daedalus's were commissioned, say 2140 or something, then that would give them a good 50 years of service. It is quite possible that the USS Dauntless was Daedalus class, because Starfleet just lined up all the ships they had, and smacked registry numbers on them, and Dauntless either by chance or on purpose was put first. It also explains why she was NCC-01 and not NCC-1, because they had more then 10, but less then 100 ships they were suddenly commissioning, so they added the '0' in front

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the Daedalus Class predates the Federation. I use the range 50 to 100 years for a class.

So,
the Soyuz Class could have been commissioned between 2188 and 2238.
the Daedalus Class could have been commissioned between 2096 and 2146.

As for the Antares Class, I don't believe the USS Antares is the class ship of the Antares Class. Charlies Evans said the ship is "old" in 2266. "Old" can mean a ship has been operating at least 30 or 40 years before a set date, in this case 2266. (2266 minus 30 or 40 years is 2236 or 2226). The USS Hermes, an Antares Class ship, is operating in 2368. If I use my range, the first Antares Class ship could have been operating as early as 2308 or 2268. I see the first Antares being destroyed and a later Antares being the class ship (ex. Constellation Class).

IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't we say that a registry with a letter in it couldn't have a NX prefix? Instead of NX-74205-A it would have to be NCC-74205-A.
But I could understand if the original Dauntless was a famous vessel and Starfleet wanted to make a class in her honor and use the original registry. Of course Starfleet didn't make the Dauntless-A, an alien did and it was probably a mistake on his part.

Hobbes

TheFSD.com

------------------
Got Trek?

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Trin on the Antares. The USS Antares from "Charlie X" was NCC-501. The Hermes is NCC-10376, which is also an old ship. But from 501 to 10376? I don't think Starfleet would use a class for that long.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the Oberths go from the 600s to the 59000s.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't it be that with a new propulsion system that Starfleet would want to honor it by giving it the NX-01-A Registry just to make it feel special?

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that both the '0' and the 'A' w/o a hyphen suggest that the Dauntless wasn't named for a previous ship, but was supposed to have a new registry scheme. Otherwise, I would expect it to be NX-1-A, not NX-01A.

Also, you talk about ships lasting 100 years. Even the Galaxy is only expected to last 100 years. Two centuries prior to that, there's no way they were building ships that would last that long. I think a 25- to 30-year service life is quite likely for the Daedalus.

------------------
"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you."
-They Might Be Giants, "Critic Intro"

[This message was edited by TSN on June 17, 1999.]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know where you are getting NX-01A from, it was clearly marked as NX-01-A

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps