Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO - Dauntless: first Starfleet ship? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SWDAO - Dauntless: first Starfleet ship?
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dauntless MSD

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I emailed Okuda about this a few forums back, and his reply was that, from his point of view, the registry of the Dauntless had no corolation to any real Starfleet ship.

I tend to agree with that sentiment.

------------------
"According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis. We'll do it for you in six minutes."
--
Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there are some pictures of the 3D model of the Dauntless which show the registry on the hull, and I think I remember the hull saying NX-01-A. In fact, the pictures are in the Star Trek: Action Book (which I believe was just updated with Insurrection stuff). It also has a copy of the MSD for you to look at.

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon the registry used was meant to imply the whole new nature of the ship's propulsion. I doubt, if the Dauntless was a real ship, that they could then re-fit it with a normal warp drive as they did the Excelsior when the transwarp experiments failed.

So the Dauntless was a one-off, unless it worked - or that was what they were meant to think. After all, maybe Starfleet's method of assigning registries is so impenetrable, the alien couldn't figure it out and therefore had to cheat to avoid making a mistake. And you think the crew were just going to turn around and reject this opportunity because the registry didn't seem right?

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

USS Dauntless NX-01-A Dauntless-class

This pic from Pedro's site shows that the CGI modeled is labeled NX-01-A, why the MSD says NX-01A is unknown. I guess Mike Okuda made a mistake when making it.

The original registry of the USS Defiant was NXP-2365WP/T. NX-01-A could of been some sort of temporary registry testing slipstream. But who cares? The ship was created by an alien trying to get revenge on Voyager, it isn't related to Starfleet. The only thing it even has in common is just that it was built to resemble a Federation vessel.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?

[This message was edited by Hobbes on June 18, 1999.]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The First One:
"After all, maybe Starfleet's method of assigning registries is so impenetrable, the alien couldn't figure it out and therefore had to cheat to avoid making a mistake."

Hell, we can't even figure it really. All we have are best guesses. Although the chronological order theory works, it still isn't proven that's how Starfleet makes them.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* OK, guys, new rule: whenever you feel like taking this stuff just a LITTLE bit less seriously - i.e. like making a joke out of it all, horror of horrors - be sure to put in a (�) sign to indicate it's a joke, so that some humourless so-and-so doesn't immediately come along and correct you.

This has been happening a lot of late. Hobbes, what do you think I was saying? Exactly what you just said.

Can everyone just UNCLENCH just a little? 8)

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name Dauntless has military written all over it. I doubt a budding Starfleet based on peace and exploration would call their first ship that. It's like renaming Pioneer 10, Destroyer 10. Makes little sense in that regard.

------------------
"There are always bigger tits."

Qui-Gon Jinn in Mos Espa's sleaziest adult nightclub.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... Okay, so it's NX-01-A. But I still think the '0' is too funky for it to be a normal registry.

------------------
"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you."
-They Might Be Giants, "Critic Intro"

The First One
Member # 35

Cargile Johnson is right! I mean, Dauntless? Then again, Valiant isn't exactly fitting either as a ship of exploration. . .
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ne ne ne ne ne

I don't think there's enough evidence for Dauntless as the first starship name. Although it is a nice candidate.

------------------
"I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Okuda didn't make that diagram. It was Wendy Drapanas. IIRC

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps