Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: The Farragut's Class (possible $) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SWDAO: The Farragut's Class (possible $)
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If nobody minds, I decided to give a go at doing a SWDAO on the USS Farragut. By the way, there are possible spoilers for Generations, Nor the Battle to the Strong, and Chrysalis (hey, just covering my bases).

At the end of Star Trek: Generations, three starships arrive at Veridian III to rescue the Enterprise-D survivors. One of them is the Nebula-class USS Farragut (NCC-60597). This establishes that the Farragut was a Nebula-class starship.

The next time the Farragut is mentioned is in the Deep Space Nine episode "Nor the Battle to the Strong." Here, it is reported that the Farragut was destroyed by the Klingons at Ajilon Prime.

Now here's the problem. The Farragut is mentioned in another Deep Space Nine episode: "Chrysalis." At the establishing shot, there is an Excelsior-class starship docked at Deep Space Nine. Some people believe that the Excelsior seen in this episode is the Farragut. If this is the case, then either Starfleet is still constructing Excelsiors or Starfleet pulled out an old Excelsior and renamed her Farragut. Other people believe that the Farragut was not seen in the episode. She simply delivered the Jack Pack and left on a mission only to return later to pick them up.

Now, if the Farragut is Excelsior class now, this means that either Starfleet is still constructing Excelsiors (which have served Starfleet for 80 years) or Starfleet plucked an old Excelsior and renamed it Farragut (but what is the reason for this?). But if the Farragut was not really the ship seen docked at Deep Space 9, why did the camera hang onto that Excelsior? That shot implies that the Farragut is Excelsior. Truth is, it was never mentioned what class the Farragut is now.

Okay, ladies and gentlemen, get to criticizing.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that pretty much covers it...great job.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have nothing to add this time.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You won't get a peep out of me *peep* Whoops

But seriously, I accept this Excelsior-class Farragut, although I have no idea if they built a new one or renamed an old one, which, to me, doesn't make sense.

------------------
Star Trek: Dark Horizon
Creator, Owner, Only Writer

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I firmly believe this is a case of stock footage fever. I find it difficult that there would be an Excelsior class Farragut for obvious reasons. I know the Jack pack arrived aboard the Farragut, but I don't remember for sure if they were supposed to be leaving on the Farragut. If they left on the Farragut then the Excelsior class ship wasn't the Farragut because it was still docked at DS9 after the pack had left. Gotta go back and check that one out.

nfaw
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how closely episode novelizations are to the actual scripts but the novel for WYLB mentions the Farragut as being the flagship for Admiral Ross during the final battle with the Dominion. I don't think Ross would use an old Excelsior for his flagship but I guess you never know.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the Excelsior the only ship at DS9 at the beginning of "Chrysalis"? If there was a Yeager or something flying around in the background, it could be that...

------------------
"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you."
-They Might Be Giants, "Critic Intro"

grb
Ex-Member

Or if there was a defiant-class starship docked at DS9, that could be the farragut, and the USS Definat could have been docked at the toehr side.

------------------
"How many people does it take before it becomes wrong?"- Jean-Luc Picard

"Fortune Favors the Bold."- Benjamin Sisko

"And so, the warriors, the peacemakers, the helpers, the saviors, the forgotten, and the remembered, they all signed on that data padd and peace was made."- Shannon London-Karkarsku, leader of the Unisist Movement

Captain Alex Herenwhiner,
Transwarp inter-dimension timeship explorer U.S.S. Liberty

Jamaharon
Ex-Member

I didn't see the episode, but for now I accept the Farragut as Excelsior class. I suppose we'll have to wait for the new Encyclopedia to come out in the Fall to be sure.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Canal/6569/
"You're young," said Athos. "Your bitter memories still have time to turn into sweet ones."

[This message was edited by Jamaharon on June 17, 1999.]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all too pat. I don't think that ship was meant to be the Farragut, and the reasoning to make it so is almost as ludicrous as the question asked by some newbie once - "what is the name and registry of the Nebula seen in the original DS9 credits?" It was just stock footage establishing the scene. Next someone will be asking whether those people you always see in the gardens at Starfleet Academy have to walk along that path at the same time every day, and if it's some sort of ritual or something. . .

Has anyone considered that the Farragut might not have been completely destroyed? Voyager was 'destroyed' after all. As soon as the report came in, Sisko was out the door because he knew that his son was in a warzone and the only heavy ship support might now be gone. He wasn't going to wait for the confirmation. . .

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The First One
The footage of the Nebula Class starship in the opening credits is new to the episode "The Way of the Warrior". I agree that after that episode the footage became stock. The only episodes before "The Way of the Warrior" to show a Nebula Class starship docked at DS9 ("Second Sight", "Explorers") show the ship at the lower three pylons.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far a the novelization goes I have a hard time believing the Admiral would be on a Nebula class at all. Seems to me, he'd be on a Galaxy. Possibly the one seen firing phasers while at a dead stop.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #3 : Whenever someone under you screws up make sure you teach them a lesson more so than you punish them.

jh
Ex-Member

I thought that the Farragut was mentioned in the "Statistical Probabilities" ep of the Jack Pack, and that an Intrepid class was seen scooting by.

But, back to the subject, doesn't the first encylopedia list the Farragut as a Nebula class?

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

Jamaharon
Ex-Member

jh:

The 1st Encyclopedia doesn't list the Nebula Class Farragut. To my knowledge, it only lists the Constitution class Farragut. It was published before Generations was released.

On my Nebula Class page ( http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Canal/6569/sufp/nebula.htm ), I have the Nebula class Farragut as destroyed.

In "Nor the Battle to the Strong...", Dax mentioned the Farragut as intercepted by the Klingons. Klingons have a way of destroying things.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Canal/6569
"You're young," said Athos. "Your bitter memories still have time to turn into sweet ones."

jh
Ex-Member

I think I was thinking of Endeavour. I remember looking one of them up and seeing it was Nebula. Oh well. I do remember it being destroyed in "Nor the Battle to the Strong..."

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps