Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Impulse speeds (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Impulse speeds
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have a good definition of "full impulse" or "half impulse"? Is it referred to the speed of light or another physical quantity, or just a convenient yet arbitrary unit?

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Full impulse (I believe) simply refers to the highest non-warp speed of a starship, which, of course, varies by class and individual ship. Speeds above .75c are possible, but usually avoided for energy and relativistic considerations.

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I've read something like that in the TNGTM, yet, it was not satisfactory. Maybe there is some kind of cut-off speed above which the efficiency of the impulse drive drops significantly, keeping in mind that a subspace field is used to facilitate propulsion, so it is already a non-Einsteinian propulsion. Another, more "engineer-like" explanation is that "full impulse" refers to the nominal power output or consumption of the impulse drive and not to the speed.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that it has more to do with acceleration than velocity. Full impulse means opening the engines up all the way, and accelerating very quickly. Half impulse is, well, one half that acceleration, and so on. The actual speeds reach probably vary from ship to ship and situation to situation. When Kirk orders one quarter impulse in spacedock, he can't mean one quarter of their total power. Otherwise I would imagine very bad things would happen to the place. Instead, the actual speeds are determined by the helmsman offscreen, like many other minor tasks.

------------------
"Should have changed that stupid lock. Should have thrown away the key. No no, not I, I will survive, right down here on my knees."
--
They Might Be Giants

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<unsure>I believe I have read somewhere that "Full impulse" is arbitrarily set at 1/4 lightspeed to avoid excessive relativistic effects.

Full impulse should not be confused with maximum sublight velocity. I presume that all military vessels retain some excess capability for emergency purposes.</unsure>

--Baloo

------------------
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
-- Plato
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message was edited by Baloo on June 01, 1999.]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, many sources do seem to indicate that it's one quarter light-speed. Not that I always trust those sources!

------------------
Vreenak: "The man who started the war with the Dominion... Somehow I thought you'd be taller." (DS9: "In the Pale Moonlight")

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

I think no matter how much full impulse actually is, a quarter impulse is definitely not possible inside the spacedock, at least not for more than a few microseconds
David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, again, if impulse was referred to as increments of the ship's maximum speed, 1/4 impulse in STII may be just fine, but by TNG it may have been incresed with more efficient energy-saving engines that can afford to go faster for longer periods of time.

I do agree with you, Bernd, that there is almost surely a cutoff point where it just isn't very efficient to try and go faster. That's what I think would be considered full impulse.

It may be that helmsmen know enough in non-tactical situations to realize that when the captain orders full impulse, they are being told to take the ship to a speed that avoids relativistic considerations if it were to be used for any extended period of time. That may be the origin of the "typical" "full impulse" speed of .25c.

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

So "full impulse" is the maximum *useful* impulse speed. This might take into account ship specific limits as well as relativistic considerations.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we have to assume that anything that refers to "relatavistic considerations" is just plain wrong. For one thing, it wouldn't make sense for the ship to not have a warp field at impulse. Not only would it remove time dilation, it also makes the ship's relative mass go down, making it easier for the engines to move the ship (à la moving DS9 in "Emissary"). Besides, if time really did dilate every time they used the impulse engines, everything would be all screwy.

Captain: "We have to be there in half-an-hour, or everyone will die. How long will it take to get there at full impulse?"

Ensign: "About five minutes, sir."

Captain: "Good. Make it so."

*five minutes later*

Captain: "All stop. Scan for lifesigns."

Ensign: "They're all dead, sir."

Captain: "Dead? But they shouldn't be dead for 25 more minutes!"

Ensign: "No, sir, it was five minutes for us. It's been an hour on the planet."

Captain: *thwaps the ensign*

------------------
"Hell hath no fury like the lawyer of a woman scorned."
-anonymous bumper sticker

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything should be screwy. The Trek writers are not very good at writing HARD sci-fi. One quarter of the speed of light is the fastest you can go while incuring the least impacting tau factor. Point 25 should be the standard Full Impulse velocity. Anything higher (without the majicaly subspace field to reduce the tau factor) should be considered emergency speeds where life is more important that time dilation effects.

At .25 the tau factor is 5.164 minutes.
At .5, it is 5.7 minutes.
At .75 it becomes 7.56 minutes.
At .98 it is 25.13 minutes.
At .99 it is 35.44 minutes.

Why go .98c when you can go Warp 1 and shave off a few minutes?

75,000 kilometers per second is still pretty fast.

------------------
"Minsk."

Cmdr Worf

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do those tau numbers mean? Is it the objective equivalent of a subjective minute? And what's the equation?

BTW, if they didn't use a subspace field to counteract relativistic effects, would the Fitgerald-Lorentz contraction at full impulse be enough that we should see it on screen? If so, it's another arguement for why they must be using the field...

------------------
"Flying Thompson's Gazelle of the Yard!"
-Inspector Fox, the Arguement Clinic sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

I assume the tau factors are the dilatation if the normal time is one hour(?).

The TNGTM mentions the possibility of using a warp field to alleviate sublight propulsion, but it is argued that the warp coils do not work efficiently at <1c. The impulse drive has subspace field coils too, but at sublight speed the time dilatation is not supposed to be decreased. The ship's apparent mass, however, is lowered. I have to look it up again, right now it sounds contradictory.

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*head explodes*

------------------
"In the name of the LORD! We DEMAND entrance to this Sacred CASTLE!!!!"
"No chance, Engleesh bed-wetting types. I brush my temples at you and call your door-opening request a silly thing. You tiny-brained wipers of other-people's bottoms."

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, onscreen evidence, while not coming right out and saying it, pretty much shows that the writers don't consider time dilation a problem that starships face, so I think we can safely assume that it doesn't happen...

------------------
"Flying Thompson's Gazelle of the Yard!"
-Inspector Fox, the Arguement Clinic sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps