Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Impulse speeds (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Impulse speeds
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder why the TNGTM says warp drive is not efficient at sublight speed so the impulse engine needs its own field generators. Maybe Sternbach feared someone could question the impulse drive on the whole.
JC2astro
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd is correct.

Here's your "Einstein's Theory of Relativity fact of the Day:"

The "Tau" factor is equal to the square root of the quanity of one minus the ratio of the relative velocity squared and the speed of light squared, or:

Tau * Tau = 1 - (v * v)/(c * c)

(simplify and solve for Tau gives the equation described above. I can't write a square root or squared sign).

------------------
-----
Please excuse the bad spelling.

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah! That equation! *thinks he just saw that one recently when reading about the Alcubierre space warp* However, I thought it was something else... Hm...

Oh, and no-one ever answered my question about the contraction the ships would experience at those speeds. Would it be enough for us to see on screen?

------------------
"Flying Thompson's Gazelle of the Yard!"
-Inspector Fox, the Arguement Clinic sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I figured out what I was thinking of. The expression I saw was 1/[l-(v/c)2]1/2 which does look a lot like that tau equation...

------------------
"Flying Thompson's Gazelle of the Yard!"
-Inspector Fox, the Arguement Clinic sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus

[This message was edited by TSN on June 07, 1999.]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's the same factor. I think tau is used for convenience because it can be written: t'=t/tau, where t' is the dilated time (observed outside the ship) and t the time inside the ship.

The reciprocal factor applies to the length contraction. It should be visible at full impulse speed, but only for a ship passing by which would be too fast to be perceived anyway. It's been some time ago I've read a book where relativistic effects already become apparent at a few km/h ("Mr. Tomkin's..."?). Quite funny when a passing bicycle is flattened, or if you get on a train, travel a few hours and reach your destination years later.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps