Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » NCC or NX? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NCC or NX?
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCC or NX?

A lot of people believe that the first ship of a class retains its NX rating for the rest of its service. But that's not true. The USS Excelsior was changed to NCC, as was the USS Galaxy. Okay, so the USS Defiant kept the NX, but according to the DS9 Tech Manual there were other reasons why it kept it. In my opinion a ship of class will have the NX while Starfleet is testing it as a potential class, and if it's approved for mass production the ship won't really be experimental anymore and the NX will change to NCC. The USS Constitution is NCC-1700. Of course there's been debate as to if it's really the class ship or not.

I just don't think it'll remain NX, you're opinion might differ, so go ahead and explain it.

Does a class ship keep the NX or does it change to NCC?

Hobbes

Federation Starship Datalink

------------------
Got Trek?

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think ships are recommisioned as NCC after whatever criteria is met that expires the NX evaluation phase.

Plus I think it is a pretty loose policy that Starfleet puts its prototypes into service outside a testing agency (the Defiant being assigned to DS9.) "Oh, the Borg aren't that big a threat anymore, so you guys can have the ship. Take care."
In a real world situation, the testing facility would keep the prototype and produce and assign how many ever ships are needed. Those ships would carry the NCC prefix. All up-grades and modifications would be performed on the NX models, then tested. All successful up-grades adn modification would be sent into the fleet to be performed my the maintainers of the ships affected. In the USAF, such an modification is called a TCTO, or Time Compliance Technical Order. I've done my share of TCTOs, which include, removing and replacing components for backshop modifications, rewiring, and adding or removing wiring and components.
I think it is extraordinary for a NX model to carry out a mission beyond its test phase. In other words a NX ship should not be out exploring the quadrant. It should be exploring its parameters. But I do think the Defiant is a special case, whereupon the very nature of the ship demands that it is used and tested where potential conflict will arrise. That is the only way to test it.

------------------
"There are always bigger tits."

Qui-Gon Jinn in Mos Espa's sleaziest adult nightclub.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a better suggestion - the NX changes to NCC once the class ship has undergone some sort of refit. But maybe not just any refit - one that follows lines developed on other ships of the class, making the class ship no longer truly 'experimental.'

Consider: The USS Galaxy is now NCC. . . and it's 10 to 15 years old. Think of all the modifications that were made to the Enterprise-D during her life, and how useful they were. Wouldn't all those modifications in shields etc. be duplicated on the other ships of the class? And that is why the Galaxy has become an NCC.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

My belief is that the USS Sau Paulo will keep the Defiant's NX reg. no matter what happens to the class. It's sorta a memorial-type thing.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #3 : Whenever someone under you screws up make sure you teach them a lesson more so than you punish them.

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few more $$$$

If that's the case, it should be NX-74205-A. The highly visible image of the registry read NX-74205. Also, Starfleet only allowed Sisko to change the name, not the registry. I tack the incorrect registry up to laxness on the part of the VFX guys. *smites the VFX people*

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put 5 or 10 lines in this reply box but on the screen it showed up like 3

------------------

Rule #3 : Whenever someone under you screws up make sure you teach them a lesson more so than you punish them.

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warped, you need some spoiler lines in there.

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NX: testing phase
NCC: officially in service
$
$
$
$
$
$
Sao Paulo ---> Defiant NX-74205: crap

------------------
"The past, the present and the future, they exist as one, they breathe together." (Annorax, VOY: "The Year of Hell")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then how do you explain NX-74205? No way could it still be said to be 'experimental' when it's been in front-line dervice for 4 years and they are at least a half-dozen others built. I reckon the theory I suggested above makes more sense. . . you could even make a ceremony of it as the NX is changed to NCC. . .
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

I stand by my words that NX-74205 is there as a memorial to the orginal.

------------------

Rule #4 : Never mention your girlfriend to anyone until your romantic reunion. You'll both get a laugh at their amazed faces.

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the producers don't want to waste money repainting the model, and changing the meshes and then shooting new footage.

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody ever considered that NX may just mean that the ship is carrying experimental technology that isn't present throughout the fleet? The only NX's I can recall that we've actually SEEN are the Excelsior, the Defiant, and the Dauntless, if that counts for anything. The Excelsior supposedly had transwarp, the Defiant a cloak, and the Dauntless a Quantum Slipstream drive. Of course, if any other NX's have actually been SEEN that I don't know of, that will throw this theory out the window, but it's worth a shot.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the Prometheus, NX-59650.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?
Federation Starship Datalink

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shipmaster: They reshot a lot of the footage anyway. Most of the problems were in the new, close-up shots. And I doubt they would have to spend much money to get someone to take fifteen minutes to change the registry number...

------------------
Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Pinky: "I think so, Brain, but, if you get a long little doggie, wouldn't you just call it a 'dachshund'?"

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

Time, not money was the problem.

------------------
"You gotta change your signature" -Zilla

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps