Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Defiant Deck #'s (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Defiant Deck #'s
Deep6
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently noticed while rewatching "The Way Of The Warrior, Part 2", that while under attack, jadzia reports damage on decks 2,3, and 5. This is contradictiry to the DS9TM (I know, I know, its full of mistakes) which states the Defiant has only 4 decks. Thoughts?

------------------
"So where are the nuggets on a chicken anyway?"

IP: Logged
Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it mentioned somewhere that the Defiant has 2 sub-decks in the nacelle area?

------------------
Well, no one is perfect so don't try to be perfect, just be yourself!

IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
click on the image

On this view of the master system display you can see the Defiant-class has only 4 decks.

Hobbes

Federation Starship Datalink

------------------
Got Trek?

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Okudagram is the most prominent evidence, while a dialogue can rather be ignored.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we've seen another reference to a Deck 5 when Sisko takes a turbolift in that Iconian portal episode. Unlike the Defiant, which is constantly undergoing upgrades, the MSD never changes; hence maybe we could assume that the engineers maintain the well-known arrangement of systems out of habit, especially since this is only a systems status display rather than a detailed graphic map.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose I prefer to think there are five decks, with the bottommost being just an itty bitty one. That way it contradicts neither.

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to change Bernd's words around: "The dialogue is the most prominent evidence, while an Okudagram can rather be ignored." :-)

IMO, the MSD is not accurate. We already know that, on other MSDs, appearances don't necessarily mean anything. They aren't cut on the centerline, turboshafts are extremely simplified, Voyager's nacelles float freely in space, etc. I think deck 5 is unimportant enough to the engineers that they removed it from the MSD. I also think the space between the decks is much higher than average. This was left out, too. The engineers do this so that each deck looks larger, and they don't have to try to cram stuff in.

------------------
Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Pinky: "I think so, Brain, but, if you get a long little doggie, wouldn't you just call it a 'dachshund'?"

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It the Uncertainty Princible and the theory that the Observer directly influences the Observed. In that case, the Defiant normally has just four decks, except in cases where damage is observed on deck five and a computer command to deliver the turbolift has been executed to deck five, whereupon deck five exists.

------------------
"Meesa love yousa long time."

Jar Jar Binks, Vietnam, 1967.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*likes what TSN said*

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean, Sisko did say "Deck 5". If he doesn't know all the decks of the Defiant, turbolift should warn him that the deck doesn't exist rather than merely assuming he means Deck 4. Is Dax' readout in error? Likely not. We stride down to the Engineering and ask someone where Deck 5 is on the display, and we would probably be told that it's the little crawlspace below Deck 4, which we can open up by removing the floor of Deck 4 and walk into.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A crawlspace where a turbolift can get to??

------------------
Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

It seems to be as likely as any other possibility.

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*likes Cargile's theory about Schroedinger's Defiant*

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

-Rex Murphy on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

As in, de Broglie's evil accomplice in their atom game?

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deck five is full-size, there's just hardly anything there, so they don't show it on the MSD.

------------------
Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Pinky: "I think so, Brain, but, if you get a long little doggie, wouldn't you just call it a 'dachshund'?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps