Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship lengths - this is the big one, folks... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ship lengths - this is the big one, folks...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, as you may know, UP III is going to include a starship comparison section. If, for some reason, you don't know about it, read about it here. Go ahead. I'll wait.

*waits*

Okay, now that you all know what I'm talking about, you can see the necessity of having a list of the dimensions of the ships. For now, I should expect that lengths will suffice. Once we have those, it should be a simple matter to determine the widths and heights.

Here's what I have on my list of Starfleet/Terran ships:

Akira 464.43m
Ambassador 525.78m
Centaur 381.87m
Cheyenne 370m�
Constellation 300m�
Constitution 288.65m
Constitution-II 304.80m
Daedalus 105m�
Danube 23.1m
Defiant 170.68m
DY-100 105m�
Excelsior 466.65m
Excelsior-II 470m�
Freedom 239m�
Galaxy 642.51m
Intrepid 344.61m
Miranda 248m�
NCC-75227 24.4m
Nebula 442.23m
Niagara 244m�
Nova 140m�
Oberth 120.40m
Olympic 312-338m�
Prometheus 414.52m
Sabre 185m�
Soyuz 248m�
Sovereign 685.19m
Yeager 330m�

I've left out the following:
Norway, because I'm trying to determine if the DS9TM length matches what was seen in FC.
Steamrunner, because I wasn't even sure where I got the number I had.
New Orleans, because the number I had was from before we discovered that the nacelles had been lengthened.
Sydney, because the number I had was really old, and it's accuracy was doubtful.

I listed the Defiant w/ it's official length because that's what's on my personal list. On the site, the 120m figure will be available, too. I know there's also debate over the Akira, but I didn't feel like looking up what the other figure was. That will be included, too.

Now, here's what I need from the rest of you. If there are any rather-widely-accepted lengths on any of these, I'll need those, so I can include them. I also need the lengths of alien ships, since I've never personally kept track of those.

Please, bear in mind that this thread is not to debate why one length is correct and another is not. For the sake of neutrality, I'm going to use the debated lengths for ships that have them. If you have a length you think should be included, give me the reasoning behind it. If it seems viable enough, I'll use it.

And, of course, thank you in advance. :-)

------------------
"You! Are you smarter than this one?"
-Ambassador Byleth to LaForge regarding Worf, TNG's "Liasons"

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited June 29, 1999).]

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one note: Excelsior is 1,531' or 466.6m.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problems there TSN.

------------------
"I have only one purpose, the destruction of Hitler.....If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourbale reference to the devil in the House of Commons".

-Winston Churchill

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is NCC-75227 is that data's scout ship?

------------------
"Ooh, FASA." - The Shadow, aka Frank G - June 1999

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Why not call it 'Scout'-class or -type rather like we calll the 'Centaur'-class or -type?
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee: No reason but it looks more technical. *L*

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, on my real list, I have "ST:I scout", or some such. I just put the registry here because, um... I felt like it. The reason I don't call it Scout-type is because, so far as we know, there's no ship called Scout. Since we don't have a ship name, I didn't use one.

And is that Excelsior figure right? I was under the impression (not that I could say from where) that it was 1535' long. Maybe from the ST3 length chart?

------------------

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can take a look at it here.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No objections, except for ******censored******

------------------
"The past, the present and the future, they exist as one, they breathe together." (Annorax, VOY: "The Year of Hell")
Ex Astris Scientia

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Okay, I've fixed the Excelsior length. Thanks, Boris.

Now, I think some of you are missing the point of this endeavor. I'm not looking for objections. I'm looking for supplement. I don't want to know what I need to change (well, if there is something, I guess I do); I want to know what else should be on the list. I still need the alien ship lengths, and, when posted, I'd also like to know where they came from, so I can decide whether they should be included or not...

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Peregrine is somewhere between 25 and 40 m long. I still anxiously await screencaps from 'The Maquis' to help peg it down through comparison externally with runabouts and cockpit width.

IIRC, we never did get an official length for the Nova, but we'll need some figure.

Bernd did a good job at pegging the New Orleans at 360m... I thought that'd be good enough.

The Delta Flyer is also still up in the air... would this even be included in UP3?

Oh, and the Defiant is a model a little more than a metre long. Sometimes it's been known to revert to a Lightwave mesh a couple thousand pixels long. Just how many pixels is still under debate.

Chakotay's raider is probably 85m long. VFX in Caretaker were rather lousy, the raider ranging from 40-100m in some shots, but this diagram pegs her at about 21m high which gives us the 85m length.

------------------
"Potatoe"
-Dan Quayle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Yeah, I noticed that I left out the Nova a little while ago. It's in there now. And, personally, I don't see why there's any arguement over it. There are two charts seen in the episode that give practically the same size. Reference this thread for the original arguement. Now, the problem w/ people's measuring of the 3D diagram was that they didn't account for the angle of the Equinox. Look at how the back ends of the nacelles don't line up. Halfway between those two positions is where the "actual" back end of the ship should be. The same w/ the indentation in the front. Although it's hard to see, the spot halfway between the two "points" in the front is where the actual front is. That's the right way to measure the diagram.

Oh, and about Chakotay's ship... If the deck height isn't 3.5m, that figure isn't right, and there's no reason to think that it is 3.5m.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited June 29, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I've just done some remeasuring of the New Orleans. I used Bernd's diagram, which I assume is accurate (safe assumption, Bernd? :-) ), and I used a saucer width of 266m. This is assuming that they used the same size models as they did for the Cheyenne, meaning that the two have the same size saucer. However, I get 370m (the same I get for the Cheyenne, in fact). Actually, I think it was more like 372, or something, but I tend to round off, since I know the numbers aren't going to be perfectly accurate, to begin with...

------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
140m for the Equinox?? Sounds right to me. I found 145 +/- 5m.

------------------
Wanted: Experienced Kamikaze Pilot

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My size estimations of both the New Orleans and the Cheyenne are based on the bridge. While the size of the Cheyenne bridge can be exactly determined, for a 1/1400 bridge and a 1/2500 saucer has been used, the bridge module of the NO is custom-built, so the uncertainty range may be a few percent.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps