Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship lengths - this is the big one, folks... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ship lengths - this is the big one, folks...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.... the C2-Type Raider's cockpit windows work nicely based on a 3.5m tall deck... Wasn't the cockpit a redressed runabout set? The windows would certainly fit then...

------------------
"Potatoe"
-Dan Quayle

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited June 29, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me, are the alien ship lengths on this chart accurate?

------------------
"You! Are you smarter than this one?"
-Ambassador Byleth to LaForge regarding Worf, TNG's "Liasons"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember this thread? Enough Jem'Hadar battlecruiser talk to make your head spin. Ought to come in handy, I s'pose.

------------------
"I... love you more... than I did the week before... I discovered Alcohol""
-The Barenaked Ladies

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll comment on the main chart only and not the "canon", since it would be confusing otherwise. I won't comment on the ships for which I don't have a better number (in my opinion).

1) Galor was designed (and makes sense in the show) at 481m. Larry Nemecek quoted a memo from Rick he received on the Fact Files. I'll refer you to "Caretaker" nevertheless - it seems a lot bigger if the raider is 85m long. This is why I think it is pointless to make the Dominion Battlecruiser smaller because of the Galor.

2) The Defiant is about 100-120m long according to the show.

3) Maquis raider should be bigger, perhaps 85m.

4) Intrepid is 344.4m.

5) JH Bug is about 100-110m long in the finished episodes, and also according to a canon statement (buried 90m in "The Ship")

6) Romulan Warbird was designed at 4,400 feet or 1341.6m according to A. Probert (you can search the web for his e-mail and website).

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited June 30, 1999).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

If we could get a shot of what angle the Jemmie ship was buried in "The Ship" we might be able to peg a better size though Pythagoras.

Agreed that the Maquis Raider is more than 80m long, and I suppose that Galor size is better at 481.

The Defiant was only 100-120 m in a portion of the shots in season three and four. Ever since s5 its been clearly 170m except when you start extrapolating different lengths for the other ships it was beside then creating new lengths for it.

Technical Technical on the Intrepid. Fine.

------------------
-The Barenaked Ladies

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest that the revised charts were actually drawn late in Season 5, once it became necessary to keep track of all the scales for the battle shots. Watch the scene where the Defiant chases the runabout in that Dominion-twoparter - it's clearly less than 100m long.

And yes, it probably has been 170m long since Season 6, however, the Defiant didn't really change size in the show. If we go about it scientifically, then we would obvioulsy be looking for the best fit line rather than the most recent data (why would it be more valid than the past?), but that may only be me.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited June 30, 1999).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

The reason the later stuff takes precedence is because before s5 there was no nailed-down length. Frank has proven at great length that one of the more common sizes the Defiant appeared at was in the vicinity of 120m, but it was quite often under 100m ("Defiant") and indeed I am of the opinion that she was only about 100m in "Paradise Lost", despite what Frank may say. Of course whenever docked to the station she was in the 200s. We have two and a half years of erratic size and two and a half years of a fixed size. Why do people have such a problem with accepting the latter?

------------------
-The Barenaked Ladies

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Intrepid is 344.61m, according to Sternbach:

"I can tell you the length is 1130.62' or 344.61 m, taking into account the accepted value of 0.3(u*d)/l for Hancock's thermal distortion for fractional dimensions at rest within a G-class stellar environment (normalized H-R sequence). I also know what's sitting in the space behind the bridge and nobody else does <g>."

------------------
"You! Are you smarter than this one?"
-Ambassador Byleth to LaForge regarding Worf, TNG's "Liasons"

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited July 01, 1999).]

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

The_Tom: Perhaps we need to be clear on the facts a bit. These "official" lengths are not some kind of end-all/perfectly established numbers that are not supposed to be questioned. Especially not in the case of the Defiant; the latest from Mike Okuda is that Drexler's cutaway (110m) was also worked on by Herman Zimmerman (production designer), Randy McIlvain (art director), then checked against Gary Hutzel (the other VFX supervisor) and Mike Okuda. It represents the thinking at that time of what the interior of the Defiant should look like. He doesn't know where the 560' number came from, but it was obviously later in the game.

Also, Mike was very explicit about the notion that *as much as they want to*, it is very difficult for them to arrive at the correct number. They can suggest an initial size for production purposes, but simply cannot keep track of what deck spacing finally ends up on the model and onscreen. Sometimes they manage, for instance Rick corrected the original size of DS9 because of later revisions in the Effects department, but most of the time, somebody needs a number for the Encyclopedia and uses this estimate, and then the fans come in and think this is it, perfect.

We can do better than that, since we *are* aware of what goes on everywhere. The perception of 560' being the end-all number might have come from Rick Sternbach who doesn't work on DS9 and admits to have only known the 560' length and Doug Drexler's charts when writing up that section. He is not opposed to a reconsideration, as mentioned on his startrek.expertforum.ricksternbach forum, and let's hope we see something over the hiatus.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't have much to add, except that the Defiant has never been shown to be 170m, and Akira has never been any of the >400m lengths, and keep in mind that warships would probably tend to have smaller deck heights.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I could never sleep my way to the top, 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - TMBG

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps