Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Defiant/Pathfinder size comparison

Author Topic: Defiant/Pathfinder size comparison
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today, while updating my Web page, I noticed that we see the Equinox from both above and below the Voyager in "Equinox" (VOY); despite problems with the angles, some rough scaling would be possible. I ended up with a length of about 155-160m, which is between the 140m and 180m of the diagrams in that episode.

Presumably, this would also be the length of the Defiant Pathfinder. Since the Defiant and Pathfinder seem to have identical bridge modules, they should be easy to scale against each other. Of course, they aren't necessarily the same, nor does the final Nova model necessarily have the bridge module in the diagram (although it does seem to). Nonetheless, using Photoshop, I lined up the Defiant's and Pathfinder's bridges.

In this image, if the Pathfinder is 160m, guess what length the Defiant is?

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
RB: "'Get a life' is a phrase heard a lot, though I have never known exactly what kind was implied. Seems a lot of shallowness and greed is the rule."
CS: "I guess that it means the kind of life led by the characters of 'Dawson's Creek' or 'The Simpsons'."

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*takes a wild guess* 120 metres?

Which is precisely as it should-- *gets trampled by a riot*

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*actually is forced to nod*

As you said though, the final Nova was quite different when it came down to the detailing. So this sucks.

------------------
"I... love you more... than I did the week before... I discovered Alcohol""
-The Barenaked Ladies

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad the Equinox doesn't have the bridge module of the Defiant

Speaking of that, I should probably mention that there might exist shots where the Defiant is larger. In "Way of the Warrior", it looks rather large next to the Vor'cha that's chasing the ship (the one it eventually tractors). Then Bernd mentioned a runabout comparison at the beginning of "The Ship", which needs to be checked out. Finally, some of the DS9 docking shots are actually full-disk views with rather small Excelsiors and Nebulas. Should have probably mentioned these in the other thread, sorry about that. But then, we were mostly arguing the validity of production information over onscreen evidence.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Shadow's size comparison along with the MSD comparison is the best we can do for now, and thank God it's consistent.

Someone tried to draw a side view of the ship?

Boris: I will check the scene again. The Defiant was huge.

------------------
"The past, the present and the future, they exist as one, they breathe together." (Annorax, VOY: "The Year of Hell")
Ex Astris Scientia

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice how the two line up like that - look at the aft of the defiant - and how it lines up with the 'lines' or contours of the pathfinder's secondary hull!

------------------
"Ooh, FASA." - The Shadow, aka Frank G - June 1999

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't find a scene in WotW where the Defiant can be measured against the Vor'cha, although there are some instances of one ship travelling across the screen, and then the other ship follows, occupying the same point. However, the Defiant appears to be something like half the Vor'cha's size using that method.

I don't have the very beginning of "The Ship" on tape, so I can't check that scene.

------------------
RB: "'Get a life' is a phrase heard a lot, though I have never known exactly what kind was implied. Seems a lot of shallowness and greed is the rule."
CS: "I guess that it means the kind of life led by the characters of 'Dawson's Creek' or 'The Simpsons'."

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: that's exactly the scene - Worf has "a suggestion", and then we see the Defiant alone onscreen when suddenly a green blast hits it in the tail. Gradually, the head of a Vor'cha is revealed as the disruptor blasts continue. A comparison of the head with the tail of the Defiant would be sufficient -we have the schematics for the rest.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Here is the scene in question, although the camera is closer to the Defiant than the Defiant is to the Vor'cha.

------------------

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

Hmm...looks like a pretty big upper limit nevertheless.

BTW, I made a little text file containing everything Rick ever said about the Equinox, except for the quote about six 13' decks and two 16' decks. There's a comment about the MSD comparison looking a bit off, and that Equinox should be bigger.

Boris

------------------

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited July 13, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited July 13, 1999).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have checked "One Little Ship", but the scene I talked of was not in the episode. Sorry. The runabout is only shown above the Defiant, and the Defiant could be anything between 120m and 170m in this scene. I wonder where the tiny shuttle scene was featured?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the defiant is much closer to the screen than the vorcha - seeing as they were both making a tight circle, plus why are the ships 'banking' like Voyager does in the credits - there is no gravity - although with the voyager credits - there IS a planet near by- but there isn't here.

------------------
"Ooh, FASA." - The Shadow, aka Frank G - June 1999

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool... Frank missed the very beginning of "The Ship", too...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, even though there isn't gravity in space, there is still inertia. Banking probably takes stress off the inertial dampners. It could also put the ship in a position where the thrusters and impulse exhaust directors could make turns tighter.

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was a very small ship.

------------------
Nurse: Can I help you?
Stan: We're here to commit our friend, Kyle.
Nurse: Reason?
Kyle: I'm a clinically depressed fecalpheliac on Prozac.
Nurse: JACKET!!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps