Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Species 8472 Bioships (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Species 8472 Bioships
Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the attack of the planet inhabited by Borg, 8 bioships combined their firepower into a single destructive weapon, focussed by a ninth ship at the center.

Concerning the ship at the center, I've always had this feeling that it could be of a different configuration. Could this be a new design so briefly seen it was missed?

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

[This message has been edited by Starship Voyager (edited July 14, 1999).]

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the ships are organic, it seems likely that there would be a great deal of variation among them.

------------------
"And give me back my evil heart so I can see you as you are."
--
John Linnell

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, it's like the Deathstar all over again. Does it also sound like it's beeing turned off when they power it up? :-)

------------------
"I think, therefore I go fast. (Cogito ergo zoom)"
-Frank Gerratana, July 12, 1999

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I dunno. I was in space but funnily enough I couldn't hear anything.

------------------
"Diplomacy is the art of Internationalising an issue to your advantage"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unlike the Death Star, those ships are going to take a lot more effort to destroy. And I agree that each bio-ship will vary since they are all organic.

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CGI-wise though, each bioship seen in the episode are from the same model, so to speak. Yet the ninth ship looks different -- it could be a variation on the bioship design. Are we seeing a new ship here?

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

IP: Logged
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe two of the ships came together or something.

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan
www.pyros.org

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Vor"Cough"lon)

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to say. There seems to be something else aside from the "wings" sticking out of the hull.

BTW, here is the Fact Files schematic: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/temp/bioship.gif

------------------
"Now if you'll excuse me Captain, I have an appointment with eternity, and I don't want to be late." (Soran, ST:G)
Ex Astris Scientia

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just which part is the front on that thing?

------------------
"Oh I keep her locked in the basement and give her a piece of raw meat every hour on the hour. And by raw meat I mean intercourse." *looks at clock* "That reminds me...."
-Nathan McFarlane, on the subject of his "Spanish immigrant girl"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It it the same type ship, but 'transformed' to recieve the 8 beams. The front opens up, and the base of the wings are moved foreward. There are also some extra 'spines' in this configuration.

(Posted updated version of the picture)
------------------
"Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here,
but I'm freaked out, and I intend to stay that way!"

- Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited July 15, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kosh: Now what about the Vorlon?

Fabrux: The left is the front.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look at the shape of the ship, and it's technology you'll notice a LOT of similarities between these ships and the Vorlon ships (not to mention the Excalibur from Crusade!!).

This is because the SFX creaters from Babylon 5 are responsible for the SFX of these ships on Voyager. They also made the Krenim timeship from 'Year of Hell' (the ship looks a lot like Babylon 5 )

------------------

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the people who created the ship for Voyager formerly did B5 is Foundation, (until season 3), currently (read season 4 thur Crusade) Netter Digital is doing the CGI. Yes the ships do look a bit like Vorlon ships. Actually I really don't buy ships have planet killing fire power, they can't kill Voyager with one shot, but they can focused burst that kills a planet that would minimally require a this much power "assuming Earthlike composition and mass of 5.9x10(^)24kg, is:

U = 2.4 x 10(^)32 joules."

Btw these number where done by Star Wars Technical Commentaries by Curtis Saxton, (these number where done for the Death Star, but since it's killing a planet it's the same difference). If you would like to check out his number for planetary destruction here is his URL: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ds.html#power.

Finally I have to say I rather perfer the Vorlon Planet killer.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Some comment on that:

1: Voyager has shields, a planet does not (usually).
2: It took 1 fast hit by 1 ship to knock Voyager of cource. It took 9 ships with a continues burst to crack open a planet.

And I think Species 8472 has the coolest planet killer.
The Vorlon Planetkiller looks nice, but we haven't seen it in action

------------------

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited July 15, 1999).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps