Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Species 8472 Bioships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Species 8472 Bioships
HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Altair, Voyagers shield might and just might stop blast in the high terawatt range (this is likely vastly over stated power level but I what to show why I don't by this), which 1 * 10^12. The power needed to kill a planet is 20 exponates higher "2.4 x 10(^)32 joules" (that is the least amount power that could do this). That means the 8472 must have been generating a ton of power, and it's beam should cut thur Voyagers shields like they weren't there, but they didn't.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either you are right or Voyager has very strong shields.... Hmmmmm..... I think you're right.

But it still looks cool

------------------
"Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here,
but I'm freaked out, and I intend to stay that way!"

- Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when I saw that, I thought "Gosh, they copied a lot from other things." Aside from being like the Death Star, Species 8472 looks a lot like the aliens in ID4. There qwere some other things too, but a friend of mine e-mailed Robert Duncan McNeail about three months before the episode aired and suggested a story where the Borg were invaded.

------------------

Antagonist
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No...
A planet, assuming one identical to earth in atmopshere pressure and makeup, is a thousand times stronger than that of Voyager's. The two are different, however. A planet has an atmophere, while a starship has a gravity field that repels incoming objects. A planet pulls objects in. So assuming that the planet killer doohickey is a massive particle emission, the atmosphere should dissipate most of the particles simply because they're going from almost complete perfect vacuum to dense field of oxygen, carbon dioxide, h20, etc.

------------------
When I see an elephant fly...I'll shoot the mother down.

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well now that Issue #5 is out, we have a few more details on the bio-ships. The article seems to indicate that the ship in the middle is just a larger version of the others and that it changes shape to focus its weaponry. Anyone got a good scanner should post the color side view pictures for all to see.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was close

I'd like to see that color schematic too!

------------------

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

I was close

I'd like to see that color schematic too!

------------------

Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, that is a very cool diagram. I just wonder how they were able to transfer all that energy without the destroying the center bioship, even with its special add-ons.

------------------
"Chocolate is a serious thing!"-Counselor Troi

[This message has been edited by Voyager (edited August 01, 1999).]

IP: Logged
Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

I'm sure they were able to channel their collective energy safely -- on the other hand, the effect looks pretty good.

Here's a theory about their combining their power: perhaps the central ship absorbs the energy emitted by the surrounding bioships before it projects it as a destructo-beam. I mean, after all, light streaks coming out of ships could be weapons, but then again, could be a simple power transfer.

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay here are my less-than-perfect scans from the issue:

Regular bioship http://members.aol.com/dawnmda73/Bioship-1.jpg

The one in the center http://members.aol.com/dawnmda73/Bioship-2.jpg

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

bonecrusher
Ex-Member

Hi, your scans are good. just turn up the DPI. The lines will disappear.
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an older issue of Sci Fi and Fantasy Models Mag and it has a brief article on Spacecraft and Vehicle Design emphasizing on "organic" models. In this article, they show a pic with two Species 8472 ships, apparently just like the Fact Files.
HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to Antagonist: Well the energy I stated was the absolute least amount of energy that could destroy a planet, that doesn't include all the energy absorbed by what not. However to get such an energitic reaction you would have to have a lot more energy than I stated.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would the beam have to destroy the planet, or would punching through to the planets core make it go poof?

I like these ships, and I'm not surprised to hear they were done by the same people who did Babylon-5 ships. I've liked the idea of a Bio design since seeing Gumto.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, this is my first ever post on this forum, well on any forum for that matter, and before my reply I would just like to say that after monitoring the Solar Flare Forum for quite some time I have found this place and all of you to be a wonderful gathering of thoughts and conclusions about Star Trek, not to mention all the incredible fan-art, and that it feels so good to finally be able to turn to someone (almost all of my friends are non-trekkers) about thoughts and questions, as well as brainstorming for theories. I do look forward to contributing with the best of my abilities.

Now that that's all said, I'd like to get to the freaking point.

About Species 8472's planet killer (couldn't someone just've asked them what their name was in "In The Flesh"?), the scan of the "centre ship" clearly shows it was designed for the channeling of energy, what with the collector-pipes in the center and all, plus the wider "jaws" in the front. And about the power needed to set off a geothermic disaster, how much did the Ent-D need to drill the planet in that ep with (trying to forget) Berlinghof Rasmussen?

------------------
I reckon the procedure will be complete in approximately four hours.
- What did you say?
-I said I estimate the procedure to be complete in four hours.
- No you didn't...You said "I reckon"!
-I have no record of such input in my memory logs, sir!? (Data to Riker, A Fistful Of Datas)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps