Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Lighted Ambassador-Class Model (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Lighted Ambassador-Class Model
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, while on vacation in Pennsylvania, I stopped at a train shop/toy store, and was looking through their Star Trek models, and found this model:

AMT/ERTL Pro Shop Lighted U.S.S. Yamaguchi

Now, first off, I am suprised that there is a lighted Ambassador model. Second, I am surprised they picked the USS Yamaguchi! Barely anyone knows that the Yamaguchi really exists! And third, once I opened it, the model's decals let you choose a secondary name for the ship, USS Excalibur! Where is the Enterprise-C?! As for the model itself, it's pretty good, but I have no clue how I am going to not only paint and glue it, but get the electronics all put it. I still haven't finished my Runabout model!

Anywho, did anyone else here know they were coming out with the Yamaguchi as a model?

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited July 26, 1999).]

Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha! A topic I can answer with relative ease! (gets out ERTL model guide)

The Yamaguchi model was released on April 9, some three months after the release of the Enterprise-C, the unlighted version. While I have yet to purchase the kit, after suffering from spending an overwhelming fortune on the Prometheus, I've been told that both were well worth the wait.

For reference pictures from fellow modelers of the ship, I suggest you vist CultTVman's site, at:

http://www.Culttvman.com/

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I presume you're talking about a resin version of the Prometheus, and not a more readily available store-bought kit that I have somehow overlooked?

------------------
"We kid around a lot about people who are cyclopses, but seriously; if you're a mythic figure you've got challenges that no one should have to deal with."
--
John Flansburgh

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Yamaguchi (which I did know about cominf out, BTW) was the one in "Emissary" in the shot with the Bellerophon...?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, or so is generally believed.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"If you feel that there is some intelligent reason why the immortality and happiness of 600 people should outweigh doubled life-spans and freedom from disease for billions, feel free to let me know. Surely, if they were one-tenth as moral and caring as they claimed to be, they would have shared their incredible discovery." - Mike Wong

Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I was referring to StarCraft's resin Prometheus. When I saw the ship on the show I just had to have her. If there's a more readily available kit, I'm there! (looks around...)

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
359: Presumably, the reason your model doesn't have Enterprise-C as one of the labelling choices is that it isn't the same design. The Yamaguchi/Excalibur-style Ambassador has an extra bay (an Excelsior rear shuttlebay) on the back ventral of the sec. hull, the primary hull is moved forward (?) a little, and there may be other differences, too.

------------------
"Merde!"
-commander of Napoleon's army, upon learning that the Duke of Wellington's forces had received assistance and were requesting his surrender

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Yamaguchi has the bussard collector cowlings, too.

------------------
"If you feel that there is some intelligent reason why the immortality and happiness of 600 people should outweigh doubled life-spans and freedom from disease for billions, feel free to let me know. Surely, if they were one-tenth as moral and caring as they claimed to be, they would have shared their incredible discovery." - Mike Wong

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! Thank you, I knew I was forgetting one... :-)

------------------
"Merde!"
-commander of Napoleon's army, upon learning that the Duke of Wellington's forces had received assistance and were requesting his surrender

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the USS Excalibur have these modifications? And I think you can leave the extra bay off, and the Bussard covers aren't physically on the model, you have to paint them on if you want them.

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are 7 main differences between the two Ambassador versions:
1. The Yamaguchi has a different Bussard collector housing.
2. an additional shuttlebay
3. a wider engineering hull
4. The saucer is moved backward, actually the Yamaguchi is about 10m shorter!
5. The Yamaguchi has an Excelsior-like sensor dome.
6. The bridge module is different.
7. There is a center part in the deflector dish.

The model of the Enterprise-C is correct except for 2., I don't know about the Yamaguchi, except that it has the additional shuttlebay. However, if the AMT models were not considerably different, there would be no reason to make the new one the seemingly unattractive USS Yamaguchi.

I'm planning to put up a page about the Ambassador versions, maybe Pedro can provide some more images, if only he would update his website!!!!

------------------
"Since we know that the frames are 1/24 of a second, this means that the time delay between the two frames above is 0.83 seconds. If Alderaan was roughly Earth-like in size, then the first frame shows a superheated debris cloud roughly 17500 km wide, with large trails of debris that extend to a width of roughly 31000 km."
Mike Wong
Ex Astris Scientia

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

How could the Yamaguchi have a wider hull? Wouldn't that require an entirely new model?

------------------
"Seriously though, I love Earth. It's where I keep all my stuff." - Simon Sizer

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the top halves which are different.

Enterprise-C: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/models/1701c-studio-top.jpg

Zhukov, Yamaguchi: http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~rsorense/modelcitizen/trekships/ambassador/zhukov1.jpg

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

The AMT Yamaguchi model has everything except for the wider engineering hull, which I can't compare to the other model.

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Another difference I can see in those two pix. On the E-C, the pylons connect to about the middle of the nacelles. On the Zhukov, they seem to connect somewhat closer to the fronts of the nacelles.

------------------
"Merde!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps