Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Changing Face of Sabres (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Changing Face of Sabres
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over time, we've caught occasional glimpses of the Sabre-class starship. It's now the ship I'm owrking on for UP 3. I've always felt ambiguous about the ship, though, and here's why. . .

When we first saw it (in ST:FC), it looked like this:

. . .and one blink-and-you-miss-it front view:

Then, when the Encyclopaedia 2 came out, the ship was revealed to look like this:

. . . which was partly confirmed by the CGI view from the Movie Sketchbook:

This was a bit of a blow for me since I'd much preferred the original UP schematic, shown as no. 13 here. Especially when two recent images (from "The Changing Face of Evil") look like this:

My point? Simple. This ship is flat. Really flat. It's easy to be deceived by the tall part at the rear of the Encyclopedia side view, but in fact what I think has happened is this: at the rear is a 'secondary hull' which goes back and slightly up. . . below it, a fin goes down and forward and broadens into an Akira-style deflector hump. There is head-on image from "Sacrifice of Angels" that confirms this, but I can't find it anywhere. . .

So now I apprecaite this little ship a lot more, and it leaves me wondering - why don't we see it more? After the Akira, it's maybe the best-detailed of the FC ships (or neck-and-neck with the Steamrunner at any rate). Maybe the DS9 production staff were worried it would always be confused with the Jem'Hadar bug?

[This message has been edited by The First One (edited August 05, 1999).]

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*an extensive stream of very inventive cursing*

What kind of f***wit uses .JPG in capitals?

[This message has been edited by The First One (edited August 05, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the deflector:

And here's an aft view:

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Saber, having two warp cores, could be a very promising ship in many ways. The size, being just a wee bit longer than the defiant would make it a formidable fighter in a group of many, against a
Jem 'Hadar cruiser or other capital ships.
It should be used with advantage like the Defiant in "Shattered Mirror" (My No.1 Defiant-Battle) if only Starfleet helmsmen could learn more than attack pattern alpha.

------------------
I reckon the procedure will be complete in approximately four hours.
- What did you say?
-I said I estimate the procedure to be complete in four hours.
- No you didn't...You said "I reckon"!
-I have no record of such input in my memory logs, sir!? (Data to Riker, A Fistful Of Datas)

The First One
Member # 35

That's the one. Thank Frank! 8)

As for this two warp-core thing, where'd you get THAT, Nimmychops? Or is this more original Utopia Planitia craziness coming back to haunt us?

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look what I found:

It is almost a side view, that's why it's so hard to find the deflector dish.

------------------
"Okay! No more mister knive guy!"

- Jim West, Wild Wild West

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, of the images I posted, the first is from FC, and the second is from SoA.

------------------
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWO WARP CORES?? Okay where did that info come from? And I know that UP1 got that bad info somewhere, but from who? The only class ships I know that have two warp cores is the Intrepid Class starships.

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: I've always thought that ship which flies towards the Enterprise-E was an Akira........

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, that's a Sabre (Saber) alright.

The Akira Class has 2 warpcores.
You can see the ejection hatches in this picture:

If you don't believe me, here are some things to think about:
1. It is logical to put the warpcore(s) in the stardrive section in case of a saucer seperation.
2. Given the shape of the Akira, there isn't really another place to put a warpcore in the stardrive section.
3. If you look at the amount of torpedo launchers, I'd say the Akira class is a battleship. And it would be a very good idea to give a battleship 2 warpcores.

BTW: There is always the Prometheus

------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't warp core hatches usually on the BOTTOM?

And, when the Akira is supposed to seperate, that large square section where the bridge is located is supposed to go with the engineering hull, and you could lay a warp core laterally in there

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Tahna: It's a Saber; I can post more images later if you really want.

I suppose those could be warp core hatches on the Akira, or they could be...anything else.

I doubt the Akira separates, though.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone got a bigger scan of that picture of the Sabre model? Like, one that will show whether the bridge is that whole big triangle, or the little one, as the encyclopedia diagram suggests?

------------------
"I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me."
-from Baloo's cousins' endless supplies of e-mail jokes

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Akira was designed with seperation lines. Jaeger intended her to be capable of seperation. However, whether that capability extended to the actual ship is unknown.

------------------
"We took a small flight, in the middle of the night, from one tiny place to another."
--
Ben Folds Five

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Bigger Sabre picture

I'm making a seperate thread for the Akira Class, please continue the Akira discussion there.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps