Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Changing Face of Sabres (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Changing Face of Sabres
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW...Altair: In your above post, that's not the deflector glowing, it's just the inside part of the warp nacelle.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, I see what you mean.

------------------
"Okay! No more mister knive guy!"

- Jim West, Wild Wild West

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Okay, that bigger picture doesn't really help. I guess we'll just have to assume the bridge is the big thing. Alternative being that the ship is a lot bigger than it's supposed to be...

------------------
"I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me."
-from Baloo's cousins' endless supplies of e-mail jokes

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two Sabres are seen in this pic from Tears...

(Note how similar the Excelsior at center is to that ship we saw in the surplus yard in Unification.. hmmm...)

------------------
"You're not quite evil enough. You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil, just one calorie, not evil enough."
-The good Doctor and his son, Scot

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sabres in that picture look like they have Dauntless type deflector dishes.

------------------
"Okay! No more mister knive guy!"

- Jim West, Wild Wild West

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that pic is a little low res to see what style of deflector is used.

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom: Which Excelsior in that picture, and which one in the surplus depot?

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just happened to be watching Tears of the Prophets last night, and was studying a scene that was bothering me...after the moon is destroyed, we see two short shots of seperate weapons platforms being whacked.

The first shot featured an Excelsior-class, the Defiant, and two others(probably Mirandas).
The second and more important shot showed a Galaxy-class (using it's torp launchers at last, thank God) and some other ship, underneath the Galaxy and slightly to the right, firing torps at another platform.

The shot continues to pan across the port side of the Galaxy, the small ship falls from view, then comes back into view as the Galaxy passes by entirely.

Would I be correct in thinking that this mystery ship is a Sabre?Ifso, it's considerably smaller that a Miranda, which comes up along near it at the end of the shot. It's also as flat as my jokes.

Anyone got a screenshot of it?

My work here is done.

------------------
The unexplained phenomenon that crippled the U.S.S. Unimpeachable --
Gaseous Anomaly...
What anomalises gaseously.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checked the scene (30 times, aaah!) and yes, it is abso a sabre. It should probably be 'bout 30 meters wider, but hey, gifted horse right?

------------------
Hickory Is Nice!!!

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched another 10 times, to be on the safe side, and discovered a second sabre passing above the galaxy. Boy they are really shooting the works here.

------------------
Hickory Is Nice!!!
(Jem 'Hadar Wash-out)

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before and after shots. . . 8)

Also, there is another Sabre that appears at the end of this sequence, in almost the exact same trajectory as this Sabre and the Miranda that follows it.

Now, to further muddy the waters, I've been approached by someone who says that the nacelles aren't the only thing wrong with the Encyclopedia's Sabre diagram. He reckons that the deflector is shown as coming down to low, and the rear downward slope of the secondary hull is too deep - it should be more graceful. The picture above from "SofA" certainly does beart this out, somewhat. . . any thoughts?

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to illustrate what I mean, now this topic has gone to a second page, here are those two images again. . .

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Son of a...

Well done, First. That was exceptionally quick. Yes, they're the exact two shots I meant.

Nimrod: 30 times? Since it was shown on Sky last March, at least 100 times. It was only this morning that it dawned on me. D'oh!
Congrats on noticing the other Sabre as well; I never even looked at it.

------------------
Gaseous Anomaly...

Nim
Member # 205

Well you see, here in Sweden we don't get much Trek at all. Not until last summer did our Channel 1 air Voyager from the start. Fortunately, we can buy the episodes at a few places "just" two weeks after their release in London, for 30$(that's two episodes). Currently we are at DS9:s "Chimera" and Voyager's "Bliss", so go figure. But I am happy, because I have you guys to listen to.

------------------
Hickory Is Nice!!!
(Jem 'Hadar Wash-out)

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

Well, seeing as our cable went the way of the dodo after VOY's 'In The Flesh', I haven't seen a single episode of Voyager's fifth season since (except for 'Bride of Chaotica', which my brother taped while down at my cousins). Big loss.

HOWEVER, I'm trying my damnedest to get into a house in Galway for my next year in college that has cable. If I miss a single ep of DS9's seventh season, I'll be having my brother reach for the Mauk-To-Vor dagger. To be on the safe side, I've already preordered my copy of 'Penumbra' and 'Till Death Do Us Part', and intend to get all the Final Chapter eps, even if it bankrupts me (which it probably will).

Bludgeoning The Weather, yeah, what about this Sabre craic?

P.S. anyone know DS9 Video 7.9's release date?
AAAAA, as per usual.
------------------
Gaseous Anomaly...

[This message has been edited by Gaseous Anomaly (edited August 09, 1999).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps