Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Analyzing the Akira class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Analyzing the Akira class
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are some of the features which I found on the Akira class:

Red: Warpcore ejection hatches.

Green: Sideways firing torpedo launchers (official??).

Purple: 3 small shuttlebays (official).

Yellow: Seperation line (official??).

Blue: Connection points for other modules.

White: Rotating torpedo launcher (I'm not sure about this one).

Please feel free to comment on this.
------------------
"Okay! No more mister knive guy!"

- Jim West, Wild Wild West

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited August 06, 1999).]

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order:
Those might be warp core ejection hatches or they might be sensors or anything really.

Yep, those sure look like torp tubes. Which is worrying, torps are long range weapons and side facing weapons are normally short range. The total number of torp tubes on the ship seems to be very high (7 forward in the pod, an unknown number aft in the pod, 2 port, 2 starboard, 3 forward between the shuttle bays and the deflector, 1 forward beneath the deflector). This is silly.

Yep, those are the foward launch bays, they connect to a through deck hanger and hence to the two large rear bays.

The idea that the bridge would go with the engineering section when the ship separates is very odd.

What do you mean? That the weapons pod is replacable? Or that extra pods of some sort can be hung off the pylons?

Nope, the torp launcher doesn't rotate. The four tubes you've circled are merely mounted at different angles to give a wider coverage. As are the three tubes below this and the three tubes above the deflector.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The total amount of torpedo tubes is an official 15!

The connection points: I mean that the weapons pod can be detached, to make room so that you can put other modules on those connection points on the top of the ship (maybe a Nebula module, or something like that).

------------------

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's nothing official about the number 15. It's just something that Alex Jaeger said. Sure he designed it but the tone of his remark indicates that he was not speaking in order to lay down the law: he was just chucking a few facts and figures out to show how impressive the Akira was. He might have forgotten the exact number and just approximated.

Look at the pictures of the ship in issue 3 of The Magazine. There are 17 or 19 torp tubes depending on whether there are two or four aft firing ones in the pod. To get down to exactly 15 you have three practical options: (a) There are no aft firing tubes or (b) there are four aft firing tubes and those port and starboard thingies aren't tubes or (c) there are aft firing tubes and some of the forward pointing thingies aren't tubes.

Whatever way you look at it the Akira is severely overgunned.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

I had a feeling that 15 was to low (feels weird saying that).

------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't someone post here something about the Defiant being overgunned...

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck, SISKO said the Defiant was overgunned and overpowered! And it was established that the recoil from the pulse cannons screwed things up until O'Brien fixed it. What they didn't explain was how energy weapons have recoil. . .
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may sound waay to newbie for you gentlemen, but I have always wondered what it means to fire a torpedo with varying degrees of "spread", full spread, .75 etc.

Also, I recall a screencap of the Ent-D firing five red photons in a cluster. Anyone care to enlighten me?

------------------
If I had a drone for every person I've assimilated, I'd be a queen.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a spread is MEANT to indicate a volley of several torpedoes, fired at varying angles to cover a whole area. I wouldn't be surprised if such dialogue then hadn't been compromised by poorly-thought-out FX showing a single torpedo launch, though.
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds 'bout right, First. Anyways, Tom Riker ordered a full spread at a Galor in "Defiant", and the maquis gunner shot three pairs of quantum's. They were solely aimed at the aft section, but as you say, the FX-guys seems to be out of time and patience sometimes...

The torpedo complement does seem to be fairly large on Starfleet ships from what I've heard, so they shouldn't be so cheap on the torp's, but I guess most of the time the storyline forbids a ship to use it's full potential before the end of the ep, am I right?

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Jeez, I gotta stop answering my own questions! ;I

------------------

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

And start commenting on my post

------------------

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only flaw with the Akira that I have is that any concentrated firing on the forward saucer section impaires it carrier capabilities by damaging the hangers inside.

------------------
"I came upon a wedding, good old families had contribed.
Bethlaham the bride-groom, Babylon the bride.
Great Babylon was naked, ah she stood ther trembling for me.
And Bethlaham enflamed us both, like a shy one at some orgy.
And when we fell together, all our flesh was like a veil.
But I had to draw aside to see the serpent eat its tail.
Some women wait for Jesus, and some women wait for Cain.
So I hang upon my alter, and I hoist my axe again.
And I take the one that finds me back to where it all began.
When Jesus was the honeymoon, and Cain was just a man.
And we read from pleasant Bibles, that are bound in blood and skin,
But the wilderness is gathering all its children back again."

excerpt from the song "Last Year's Man"
By Leonard Cohen.

[This message has been edited by Cargile (edited August 06, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To address something that seems to have fallen by the wayside... Why is it odd that the main bridge would go w/ the engineering section? There has to be a bridge of some sort in each section. Just because the E-D had the main bridge in the saucer and the auxiliary bridge in the warp section doesn't mean another ship (of a rather different design, for that matter) can't have it the other way around...

------------------
"I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me."
-from Baloo's cousins' endless supplies of e-mail jokes

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, why does the final Akira Class have to have 15 torpedo launchers, a shuttlebay that goes from the front of the saucer to the back, and the ability to saucer separate? I mean the Galaxy Class was to be able to land on planets...

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps