Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Analyzing the Akira class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Analyzing the Akira class
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the Akira have phaser batteries, I mean not strips but those little knobs on the hull that can fire at any angle, like the Excelsior? (I'm trying, see?)

------------------
If I had a drone for every person I've assimilated, I'd be a queen.
(Seven Of Nine starting to develop an ego)

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was my second guess on the 'warpcore ejection hatches'. Similar 'things' can be seen just behind the bussards.

------------------
"Okay! No more mister knive guy!"

- Jim West, Wild Wild West

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be possible that the port and starboard "torpedo launchers" are actually bay-view windows (like what Voyager has)? It seems strange that torp launchers would be located there. Why wouldn't phasers be used to protect the sides of the ship? There simply isn't any sane reason to have launchers in those locations.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, they are torpedo launchers alright, same type as below the Ent-E deflector dish.

Here is a bigger version of the above picture.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still don't see anything indicating those have to be torpedo launchers.

------------------
"We took a small flight, in the middle of the night, from one tiny place to another."
--
Ben Folds Five

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

On the starboard side you can see the tubes sticking out. On the port side you can see the shadows of the tubes.

Here is a close-up of the Ent-E tubes:

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I can see your point, Altair. I still don't understand why there are launchers there.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're in an okay position to attack pursuing ship, maybe?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Don't think so, they already have a possible better position for that:

This is getting beyond overkill...

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha...I was worried those were escape pods or something...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, they sure look more like torpedo launchers to me (the aft part).

And I know there's already a better place, but whoever said ILM was smart?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems odd to place torpedo tubes there still. Could they be phaser cannons?

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?
Federation Starship Datalink

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited August 11, 1999).]

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can a ship have too many torpedo tubes?

Young Ensign: "Um, Admiral, the Thunderchild was just attacked by six Jem'Hadar battle cruisers."

Admiral: "My God, were there any survivors?"

Young Ensign: "Actually, sir, they used their torpedo tubes to win the battle. They took no damage or injuries.

Admiral: "Really? Hmmm. Seems to me that she did too well. Starfleet doesn't want ships that can win battles. Have all the Akiras scrapped. Replace them with science ships."

I mean, really. A ship can be underarmed, but overarmed? I don't think so.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

I think so.

The Defiant was too powerful for its size. Therefore it was originally "overarmed" until the good chief fixed her up.

However, if the thing works, it's not "overarmed."

------------------

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's a matter of being 'overarmed' so much as it is a matter of diminishing returns. Weapons aren't everything. If you can have forward and aft torpedo launchers, say three each. Each capable of launching independently targeted torps, or independent spreads. Why have 15 launchers when you can use the space for an extra phaser bank, or backup targeting sensors? Not to mention having to have someone to carry all those torps around, somewhere to store them and about 15 separate mechanisms for loading, etc. It doesn't make much sense.

Two other things on the original design. Why would you need TWO warp core ejectors?

And I don't think we should find a use for every little bulge and nook on the thing. Remember when you were little and used to build spaceships out of legos or tinker toys? You'd put on all these things just cause they looked cool, not because you had a reason for every little piece. We may be imposing order where there is none.

My personal guess for the green things: Starbase docking hatches. Like for the pylons at DS9.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

[This message has been edited by jh (edited August 18, 1999).]

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps