Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Full Reverse! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Full Reverse!
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't understand how starships do this. The only ship that I can recall with vents facing forward is the Intrepid Class. I don't see how any class can go backwards on impulse power. And there don't seem to be any backwards or forward facing RCS Thrusters either on most classes.

Can we come up with any explanation for this, or does everybody know something that I don't.

------------------
A-"Dippidy Doo." Q-"What forms on your dippity early in the morning?"--Johnny Carson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, RCS thrusters are designed to move the ship in any direction. But they don't put out enough thrust.

It is assumed by some that forcefields are used to route the thrust from the impulse engines forward.

------------------
"Recombination, then Viacom; Safeway."
--
Soul Coughing

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a theory could be that if done at warp - the 'warp' bubble could be stressed in the forward direction creating a relativistic compression in the forward direction, thus creating a warp effect in the reverse direction. Although I'm sure the warpfield geometry - especially on Federation starships - with primary and secondary hulls as they are would only allow small displacements since warp field integrity would fail at an exponential rate.

Thus it is theorised that ships of the Klingon empire have no NEED for a reverse! - thus their ship evolution has provided a rear heavy configuration - effectively nullifying any chance of a reverse compression/expansion warp field.

Cardassian design on the other hand has lent itself to being the antithesis of Klingon design - where maneuvrabily in either direction is available. Without wanting to be stereotypical, this belies an inherent nature underlying Cardassian nature.

Also the presence of a concentration of pulse-wave disruptor of equal magnitude on both fore and aft planes, has led to the Cardassian 'flee' theory. Klingon disruptors on the other-hand have a long held tradition of being most powerful in the forward direction. This also melds with the Klingon nature - of charging head-long into battle with weapons at full.

(note: this tactic was to both the UFP and KE's advantage in the recent Operation: Return.)

-*end LCARS file 58214-70641b: Reverse tactics in relation to Alpha Quadrant starship designs.*-

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or does the original Enterprise have no RCS thrusters (before refit)?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably not, but it wasn't all that manoevrable, too, when you think about it, so that makes sense.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would probably have to go with the force fields until something more plausable comes along.

------------------
If you need it I can build it. Just as long as there is a box of junk for me to use.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a thought. What if the navigational deflector array (nda) is used? I'm not an expert on starships, but what if the nda sends a pulse forward and force fields are used so that the pulse hits it and causes the ship to go in reverse. Since the force field doesn't move, it causes the ship to go backwards. Of course physics isn't my strong point either so I hope you kind of understand what I'm talking about.

------------------
"Let's make sure that history never forgets the name...Enterprise."
Federation Starship Datalink - Yet another site based on the popularity of starships.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You CAN'T use the forcefields to move... it'd be like having a fan on a sail boat and aiming it at the sails!

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the scheme I mentioned, the forcefields don't move the ship. They merely redirect the impulse thrust.

------------------
--
Soul Coughing

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Its still not directly pushing against an external body. (The first one about the shields)

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Um...I'm lost. What's supposed to be pushing against something? The impulse engines work via Newton. Equal and opposite reactions, etc. You don't need anything to push against. The forcefields would simply act as vents to get the engines pointing in directions they could not otherwise.

------------------
--
Soul Coughing

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*abuses his powers as moderator to erase any evidence that his grasp on the concept of inertia is anything but perfect*

------------------
"Maybe they're trying to breed them..."
-guy in my math class, suggesting a reason for there being two overhead projectors in the classroom

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, you deleted a whole bunch of stuff! For the record, TSN forgot about physics and such. So there!

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Yes, I routinely run any car with Canadian plates off the road. It makes it easier to yank them out, blind them, and put them to work in my underground salt mine." - Simon Sizer

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question... Would the forcefields be sufficient to redirect the thrust or wouldn't that be a waste of efficent energy?

*notices above sig and plans to avoid the west coast U.S. for a while*

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited September 19, 1999).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theoretically, you could move the ship backward by creating a non-static forcefield (i.e. a wave) with the navigational deflector. The reflection on the surface should result in a propulsive effect. I'm currently thinking if one can even use a satellite uplink dish for propulsion

BTW, I remember Kirk issues the order "take us out, one quarter impulse" in two movies. Apart from 1/4 impulse being a bit too fast for a spacedock, the ship is shown moving backward.

------------------
*Obscure humorous pretentious Gaelic-Latin signature*
Ex Asterige Scientia

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps