Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Full Reverse! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Full Reverse!
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the ship does have to accelerate. I doubt it was going the full 1/4th impulse from the start.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Yes, I routinely run any car with Canadian plates off the road. It makes it easier to yank them out, blind them, and put them to work in my underground salt mine." - Simon Sizer

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the original Enterprise having no RTS can be put in the same catagory as the original Ent not having a photorp laucnher. Or phaser batteries. The catagory of "they were there, we just couldn'tsee them due to the poor film quality".

1/4 impluse is the faster we've ever seen anyone reversing I think. Apart from ST III, there's the Nth degree, where the Enterprise-D was being chased by that probe thingy. Picard orders 1/4 impulse reverse, the ship flies backwards. The probe gains, so Picard orders full impulse, and the ship swings around.

Now that I think of it, if the Galaxy class seperated, it wouldn't be able reach full impulse would it? And what about the Ent-B? If that seperates, the engineering section can fly off at warp, but can't make orbit, while the saucer section could probably overtake the Flash.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both parts of the Galaxy have their own impulse engines. There is no reason why they both couldn't travel at full impulse.

The Ent-B engineering is probably not designed to function as a separate unit. The saucer would simply leave the rest of the ship behind (so it can happily core breach, most likely).

The Ent-D is the only Enterprise designed to operate as two autonomous parts.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

[This message has been edited by Dax (edited September 25, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, doesn't the E-B have it's warp core in the saucer, neck, and sec. hull? That'd make both parts rather warpless in the case of a separation...

------------------
"I've colorized the moon."
-Ted Turner, The Family Guy

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the tech-manual, the Ent-D only used the main impulse engines at low speeds, but at full impulse, the main and saucer engines are both used...

Maybe there were situations of the Excelsior-class warp-cores breeching, the saucer seperating, but not getting clear of the blast in time? They added the extra engines for a quicker acceleration curve, and incase Troi is driving.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps