Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » End of boredom I: BoP launcher (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: End of boredom I: BoP launcher
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least, I don't feel this is boring because I have never really cared about it:

The torpedo launcher is open, as we mostly see it: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/articles/bop/bop-head-front.jpg

Here, the launcher is covered with a lid: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/temp/bop-launcher-closed.jpg

I can hardly imagine the lid is turned inward to open the launcher tube.

------------------
*Obscure humorous pretentious Gaelic-Latin signature*
Ex Asterige Scientia

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmmmmmmm........
Could it be part of those different types of BOP like the B'rel and the K'vort?

------------------
A-"Dippidy Doo." Q-"What forms on your dippity early in the morning?"--Johnny Carson

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...looks to me like BoPs have a launcher shutter...maybe there are some kind of particles which could enter the ship if the lid is left open for too long, or what about decompression?

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they don't want anyone peeking.

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the launcher always looks closed (the "open" picture is just too dark to notice). Lets just accept that it works, eh?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God be with the days when BoPs actually used their torpedo launchers. I don't recall one occuring since STVI.

------------------
The unexplained phenomenon that crippled the U.S.S. Unimpeachable --
Gaseous Anomaly...
What anomalises gaseously.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they ran out of torpedoes? Wait a second, did the Bird of Prey that Lursa and B'tor use to damage the Enterprise-D use it's torp lancher?

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it did, actually. In the opening volley they shot, at least.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the BoPs in DS9 are a different type that can't fire torpedos (just kidding). Oh yeah, remember that K't'inga that fired a disruptor blast from its torpedo launcher in "Way of the Warrior"? Now, that was a rather stupid mistake.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...why is that? Seems to me if the Klingons want to pull out the torpedo launcher and put in a disruptor, they're perfectly free to do so.

------------------
--

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Good point, Sol. That's worthy of a no-prize award
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, when I first saw "Way of the Warrior", I assumed that the different weaponry was supposed to be a visual clue that these were more modern versions of the K'tinga. Of course, I'm an apologist by nature.

------------------
--

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't the K'tinga's different colours anyway? For that matter, how many times did we see a K'Tinga actually shoot torpedoes from that opening. IIRC, once. Perhaps THAT ship was the mistake.

That open/closed shutter thing looks confusing, because I thought they used the same BOP model from ST III in the TV shows (whereas I think the K'Tingas are all CGI'd. They only appeared in the show rarely, and always in stock footage before WOTW). Why would they alter the model like that? The open pic look like a shot form ST III (That was reused in Redemption, when IIRC the rings lit up before a torp was fired). The second pic I'm not sure about. It is from ST IV?

Actually, is the BOP the oldest ship (from a production design POV) that's still in use (as the Excelsior and Miranda have changed designs more tham once, whereas the BOP hasn't as far as I can see).

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Sol: No need to apologise - I honestly liked your theory. No-prize is actually a complement of sorts.

PsyLiam: I'm pretty sure they used the K't'inga model in "WotW". Is the K't'inga-class officially decommissioned? If not, that would be the oldest in use.

------------------
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the K'Tinga's where in WoTW. Strange though that they fired red disruptor blasts at DS9 in stead of green. And solid rays too, not energy balls. IIRC, that's the only time they fired phasers, I never saw it in TOS.

The Bird of Prey's have fired torps sometimes, when chasing mirror Bashir and mirror Jadzia in "Shattered Mirror" for example. Alas, our heroes had learned the spell of "Warp shadows" so the torps bounced off all over the place.

It's funny, when Spock saved Kirk from the fake god's wrath in ST:V, they partially used blast sounds from starwars TIE:s in the BoP disruptors. Makes sense though, there both ILM.

------------------
-You're crazy!!!
-Funny, I thought I was pisces!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps