Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » End of boredom I: BoP launcher (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: End of boredom I: BoP launcher
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checked ST:V ending again. And to follow Sol System's thought, it seems the klingons can take away the torp-launcher from the BoP nose and put in a search lantern too!!!
And to top it off, the Ent-A fires a GREEN torpedo. I'll tell'ya, that movie is just nasty.

------------------
-You're crazy!!!
-Funny, I thought I was pisces!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Nimrod, I think that ST:V weren't done by ILM, I remember reading an interview, where the effects house just said, if its not broke, don't fix...

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I admit I jumped to conclusions, but wouldn't you if you heard that darn blaster sound and then heard firsthand from Lucas that they do the FX in Star Trek?

------------------
-You're crazy!!!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think ILM did TWOK, TSFS and TVH + the TNG pilot - which allowed them to have ILM in the credits for the whole season! I think they also did TUC, G and FC

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Nim
Member # 205

That just makes it more illogical.

------------------
-You're crazy!!!

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that ST:V clearly has the worst FX out of all the movies. Funny, but it has the worst script, as well.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gagh! Either me no clear enough, or people no understand.

Okay, they made a K'Tinga model in ST:TMP. It fired torpedoes. The next time we saw it was STII (stock footage). We also saw it in a first season TNG ep (|Heart of Glory I believe) in stock footage, and again in Emissary (in stock footage). In none of these instances did it fire Torpedoes. In Emissary, it seemed to fire disruptor bolts from the position of the war nacelles.

The first time we saw new footage of a K'Tinga was in ST VI. It did not fire in this movie. The opening in the end lit up, but didn't fire.

The next time we saw K'Tinga's was in WOTW. They were a different colour, and could quite easily have been CGI'd. In this ep, they fired Disruptor/phaser blasts from their nose.

So you see, the evidence for the nose firing torps is no more conclusive than the nose firing energy beams. It's jsut the torps happened first. OTOH, only two ships fired torps in that film, whereas laods fired disrupters in WOTW. So, maybe ST:TMP is the blooper?

You know, my memory isn't brilliant, but I can't recall the D7 firing in TOS. I have a vague idea it might have fired energy ball thingies, but don't quote me.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems the weapon question is as hard as the size problem. I still believe the opening in the front of the K't'inga and the BoP is and has always been a torpedo launcher. Phaser/disruptor colors may change, if a new type is installed or the system is upgraded. We don't know how it comes to the color effect anyway. BTW, the main disruptor of the K't'inga is supposed to be in the front end of the nacelle. This makes sense, since the Klingons are always attacking and never retreating and since there is no better location facing forward, except for the very front end which is occupied by the torp launcher.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps