Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Excalibur ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: USS Excalibur ($$$)
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In tonight's VGR episode, "Survival Instinct", 3 Borg Drones from Seven's former Unimatrix are briefly detached from the Borg in a Borg Sphere crash. While seperated, they begin to remember their past lives. The one female of the Borg, first name Milka (she also stated her middle and last name, but I didn't catch it) said she was an engineer during the night watch on the USS Excalibur. Apparently, the Excalibur ran into a lone Borg vessel. This relates to the topic concerning the USS Endeavour, and wether or not she was at Wolf 359. Most believe that the Endeavour was at Wolf 359, because there aren't any other Borg incidents known. But, this seems to go against that theory, since the Excalibur was not at Wolf 359 (since she was seen in "Redemption"), therefore, the Excalibur ran into the Borg somewhere else. The same most likely applies to the Endeavour

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we sure it was the USS Excalibur, and not just a Federation ship called the Excalibur?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I firmly believe that the entire Star Trek universe exists only to make sure we continue to appreciate Star Wars and Babylon 5." - Andy Ihnatko

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah bloody hell, you HAVE to get technical on me. I believe she said 'USS Excalibur'. Also, how could there be an SS Excalibur around when the USS Excalibur has been around for, what, 50 some years?

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I remember hearing USS, but she did add at the end that it's nice to be back on a Federation starship.

The assimilation certainly took place prior to 2368 when the crash-landing occured; was it right after "Redemption" (late 2367/early 2368)? Did the Excalibur encounter a Borg vessel before that and perhaps managed to escape? (as in the crew member was on an away team?)

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited September 29, 1999).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does the appearance of the Excalibur in "Redemption" mean that she wasn't at 359? She could have escaped. We know that the number of ships that escaped is equal to the number of Klingon ships involved plus one (presuming Hanson gave exact figures). So for all we know, there could be half a dozen survivors, including the Excalabur, the Endevour, AND the Awahnee.

------------------
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
- H. L. Mencken

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the problem is assigning too many survivors to what was supposed to be the most devestating battle Starfleet had ever fought. If you can even call it a battle. Sure, the Seventh Fleet got hit pretty hard, but we can assume that they took out at least a few Dominion ships with them. Starfleet essentially did nothing to the Borg at Wolf 359.

At any rate, this does complicate things for my Borg timeline.

------------------
I do indeed and shall continue
Dispatch the shiftless man to points beyond
--
Soul Coughing

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, one thing's for sure, this Excalibur isn't the Constitution Class one. But at any rate, what the hell is going on now? Couldn't the entry about the captain of the Endeavour be about the time of TNG's episode "Descent?" And also, in "First Contact," it was mentioned that the Borg began another attack on the Federation, I think... And as for the USS Ahwahnee, I just looked at the tachyon detection grid picture in the Encyclopedia II, and the Ahwahnee that was there has the registry of NCC-71620, but there is no freakin' entry of this ship in the hardcover encyclopedia!!! So I'm just going to believe that the Ahwahnee was the only ship to survive Wolf 359, the Endeavour encountered a Borg ship sometime after Wolf 359 and "First Contact," and the Excalibur was attacked by a Borg ship after "Redeption." But that remains to be true until something is mentioned onscreen that says otherwise.

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is evidence from TNG which suggests tha the Borg were exploring Federation space after the Battle of Wolf 359. The episodes are "I, Borg" and "Descent". The USS Excalibur may have come across a scout ship and was assimilated after early 2368. And the USS Endeavor may have encountered the Borg between 2367 and 2371 and survived. And one other point to consider-the Borg were active in Federation space in 2363 [the USS Tombaugh].

A possible timeline-
2265 Guinan's world attacked.
2269 A planet in the Archanis system is attacked. The Klingons were considered than dismissed as the possible attackers. This I feel may be the earliest known attack on a Federation world by a Borg force. The Klingon Empire is near Borg space and the Borg are known to cross through Klingon and Romulan territory to fight the Federation.
2270 to 2355 There are rumors about the Borg, much like the Ferengi. The Federation science council gives permission for a single ship to determine the validity of these rumors. Ship is the USS Raven.
2363 The USS Tombaugh is attacked by the Borg. [And this ship is missing from the encyclopeda.]
2364 Borg attack bases along the Federation and Romulan neutral zone.
2365 The USS Enterprise D encounters the Borg.
2367 Battle of Wolf 359
2367 to 2376 Borg ships mapped Federation space for possible "colonization". The USS Excalibur and the USS Endeavor encounter Borg scouts.
2373 Battle of the Typhon Expanse and subsequently Earth

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Engineer on the night watch. . . there must be some significance in that. Maybe the Excalibur was attacked at night, and drones were beamed on board at key locations such as Engineering. They assimilated a few crew before being repulsed.

If this ship had been at Wolf 359, then it would have been at full alert status. She would have been on duty or on standby. And she would have said she was assimilated at Wolf 359, not blathered on about the joys of the swing shift. . .

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, the Excalibur. Could this be a tie-in with the New Frontier books? There was a lot of talk about Night Shifts in the Captain Calhoun entry in the Captain's Table series.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it become clear from the dialogue if the ship itself survived the Borg attack or is this only speculation?

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hopeing Voyager wouldn't do any Borg eps this year.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Sirmaniac
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: The episode was rather vague as to exact details of what happened. However Peter David, author of the New Frontier books, got confirmation from the makers of the shows that they weren't going to do anything with U.S.S. Excalibur that would interfere with his stories (If you don't know, New Frontier is about the Ambassador-class Excalibur and crew).

In fact, in "You Are Cordially Invited . . .," you might have noted the mention of Captain Shelby. Well, when written, this line was supposed to refer to Shelby of "Best of Both Worlds" fame. Rick Berman (I believe it was) said later that it must not have been because they made an agreement with Peter David saying they wouldn't use Shelby in any manner that conflicts with her being the XO for Excalibur.

So, if the writers and producers of the show keep their end of the agreement, Excalibur survived intact. Incidently, it is interesting to note, that according to New Frontier, Excalibur had just been refit after actions taking place during the Borg attack shown in First Contact. Of course, it would be weird for Excalibur to have the night shift in charge in the middle of a Borg attack, so I agree with The First One there. Mind you, I'm definitely not saying the writers of Voyager are taking these books as canon. I believe it was probably wild coincidence. It's just cool that they work so well together. And that would go along with ID Crisis' speculation about New Frontier.

It's a rather interesting way the widely-agreed-upon non-canon can have an effect on the show.

[This message has been edited by Sirmaniac (edited September 30, 1999).]

IP: Logged
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another example of Ron Moore-style "name dropping."

I seriously doubt it's a NF reference. Maybe a slight tip of the hat. Maybe.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Jadzia refered to her friend Shelby as 'he' somewhere.

------------------
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
- H. L. Mencken

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps