Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Star Trek's Many Temproal Paradoxes... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek's Many Temproal Paradoxes...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I think DS9's time travel eps are the best - you can't beat "Past Tense", "Visionary", or "Children of Time" - they ALL have an immense underlying theme - that TNG and Voy time eps don't

------------------
"Remove your hand or I will remove your arm!" - 7 of 9

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The First One, thats a good one!! An event triggering a cause! I love it!!!

------------------
Wes Button
The United Federation Uplink
[email protected]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er... need I mention that "The Visitor" is a highly thematic DS9 time travel episode?

TSN: You're welcome.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the TNG episode 'Cause and Effect'? Is that time traveling or a time-loop??

------------------
Presenting the NX-59650. It can slice! It can dice! It can seperate into THREE parts!!
Now available with THREE FULL warpcores!
But wait! Buy now, and get a free number upgrade to NX-74913!

To order, call: 0800-PROMETHEUS

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A "causality loop" -- or so Brannon Braga told us in the episode.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Gray
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, you guys are FREAKIN' me out.. hehe. Time travel is really pointless to try and analyze, since it's all just theory anyway.

------------------
-Gray
-Chief Executive of GRAYsoft Productions
-Network Administrator of aXiS IRC
- [email protected]

IP: Logged
Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time Travel is a theoy, but in the Star Trek universe its been proven possible. Here's another one: Let's say you go though a wormwhole, but by doing so, the other end, which has a temproal displacement if minus 5 seconds and is about a foot to the left of the original one, knocks you away from enterning it in the first place, what happens then? I love that one.

------------------
Wes Button
[email protected]

Wes
Member # 212

"Cause and Effect" was actually a time loop, the events happened over and over untill they change it and knocked them selfs out. A paradox did not form. It would form if they sent the message BACK in time. If they knocked themeself out because of the message, but as a result, they never sent the message. Where did the message orignate.

I think my brain is getting full... to ... many... paradoxes...
-Wes

------------------
Wes Button
[email protected]

Wes
Member # 212

Bernd, How is "Assignment Earth" inconsistent? I might be thinking about a diffrent episode, but isn't this the one where they interupt a NASA launch? Where's the Paradox in this episode?

------------------
Wes Button
�CEO/Founder of TechFX Graphics
�CEO/Founder of The United Federation Uplink
�Network Administrative Captain of AxisIRC
�EMail Me at: [email protected]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week / Now / Next Thursday, I will post/ posted / am posting an exclamation of how much I love / will love / loved temporal paradoxes.

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look forward to / am looking / have read your exclamation First of Two.

lol.

------------------
7 of 9 alarm clock: "Wake up. Resistance is futile."
Dilbert: "I wonder if I could ever date a woman like Jeri Ryan."
7 of 9 alarm clock: "That too is futile."
Federation Starship Datalink - Now with a pop-up on every page...damn you Tripod!

Wes
Member # 212

Who was that replying too?

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX GraphicsThe United Federation UplinkAxisIRC
[email protected]
------------------
Janeway: "Dimissed"
Neelix: [stands there dumbfounded] "b..but.."
Janeway: "That's Starfleet for get out"

Wes
Member # 212

Oh.... im gonna be glad / am glad / was glad that my topic made 2 pages!...

If I go back in time and stop myself from going back in time, the universe implodes. Ouch.

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX GraphicsThe United Federation UplinkAxisIRC
------------------
Janeway: "Dimissed"
Neelix: [stands there dumbfounded] "b..but.."
Janeway: "That's Starfleet for get out"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cause and Effect: There is a bit of a paradox, since the loop was broken because of the information "3" that Data has stored/stores/will store from the future fate of the Enterprise.

Assignment Earth: The episode itself is consistent, while it is inconsistent that here predestination applies, while other episodes (e.g. "The City on the Edge of Forever") change history several times.

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps