Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tricobalts (More $$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tricobalts (More $$$)
Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They way I understood (IIRC) is that Seven found evidence of the tractor beam from Nelix's sensor logs from his ship.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the tractor beam was visible on the Voyager sesor logs before she got Neelix' ship's records. Besides, the stuff from Neelix' ship would have been regarding the months before "Caretaker". At the time of the battle w/ the Kazon and the destruction of the array, Neelix' ship was in the shuttlebay, so it wouldn't have even had its sensors running.

Perhaps the "tractor beam" was simply a sensor glitch that ended up visibly looking like a tractor beam, but really wasn't.

------------------
"General Hammond: Request permission to beat the crap out of this man."
-Colonel O'Neill, Stargate: SG-1: "Bane"

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with TSN on the tractor beam deal.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, remember, the computer never said it was a tractor beam, Seven merely assumed

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I'm thinkin' The359

------------------
Alshrim Dax

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhm, about the Kithomer accords:

Some lt. on the Enterprise-C in 'Yesterday's Enterprise' said something about a second Kithomer accord.
The first is probably the one in ST6, the second could be the one including the ban on subspace weapons. If that's true, that accord is about 25 years old at the time of 'Caretaker'....

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that the second Khitomer accords may have contained a clause permitting the use of subspace weapons under certain restricted circumstances? It is also possible that if the original agreement did not, such a clause might have been negotiated in the intervening 25 years.

--Baloo

------------------
"It is required of every man," the Ghost returned, "that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellowmen, and travel far and wide; and if that spirit goes not forth in life, it is condemned to do so after death. It is doomed to wander through the world -- oh, woe is me! -- and witness what it cannot share, but might have shared on earth, and turned to happiness!"
-- Jacob Marley's Ghost (A Christmas Carol -- Charles Dickens)
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Second Accords of Khitomer, Amendment 1: Use of Subspace Weaponry"? I can live w/ that...

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

devinclancy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the reference in "Yesterday's Ent" is "they were negotiating a peace treaty when we left."

They couldn't have been the Second Khitomer accords because the first ones hadn't been invented. Khitomer was first mentioned in 3rd season TNG in "Sins of the Father". That was 1989. Trek VI, in 1991 (during season 5 of TNG) used Khitomer as the location of the treaty conference as a reference to "Sins..." That was the first mention of Khitomer as anything other than Worf's home.

So there were at least two treaties prior to the 2340's, but not explicitly the second khitomer accords. I'm inclinded to believe that tri-cobalt devices were relatively new technology (a spin off of a static warp shell?) that were quickly outlawed during the talks to re-unite the Klingons and the Federation. (after Voyager left)

Janeway's just the type to carry them anyway, as long as they're not strictly illegal. She's done enough other questionable things...

-Devin Clancy

[This message has been edited by devinclancy (edited November 29, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by devinclancy (edited November 29, 1999).]

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but we're talking about fictional timelines here. We didn't learn about Picard's artificial heart until, uh, that one episode in which it first appeared. But that doesn't mean that he didn't have it in previous ones.

------------------
"It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came and the grasshopper died and the octopus ate all his acorns, and then he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?."
--
Futurama

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, I think Devin is just saying that one can say for sure that there wasn't a reference to Second Khitomer Accords in "Yesterday's Enterprise", without needing to rewatch the episode. The real-world timeline takes care of that.

And if that much is true, then it becomes more likely that the 2nd Khitomer Accords could be the ones signed after "By Inferno's Light". It still remains a possibility that there could be a reference to them in some episode or movie that takes place before Voyager's departure. I don't remember such a reference now - anybody have any ideas?

If not, then one could say that tricobalts were introduced shortly before "Caretaker", found to be of dubious worth and unacceptable risk after that episode, and banned by Feds and Klingons alike in the treaty signed after "By Inferno's Light".

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the treaty reinstated on DS9 was just the original one between the UFP and the Klingon Empire. Why should the Son'a be constrained by a treaty that only involved two powers?

------------------
"It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came and the grasshopper died and the octopus ate all his acorns, and then he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?."
--
Futurama

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, why would the Son'a be constrained by any treaty? Of all the powers I can think of who might have signed something called the "Second Khitomer Accords", they wouldn't be one.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Then why even bother to mention that such weapons are banned? I mean, when the Borg showed up, nobody said "Hey, isn't kidnapping and assimilation into a monsterous hivemind illegal under the Treaty of Antimony?"

A bit of hyperbole, yes. What I'm getting at is, in order for the Second Khitomer Accords to carry the sort of weight they seemed to, they should apply to more governments than just the UFP and the Klingons. That is, a treaty signed by fifty states carries more...popular opinion, you could say; then a treaty signed by two or three. Beyond that, if I recall correctly, Gowron merely resigned the original treaty, and while that might have included something about subspace weapons, why say the second accords when its just the same as the first?

Then again, I'm probably just making too much out of this.

------------------
--
Futurama

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, my point was that the line in Insurrection was a really stupid thing for them to say, like your example about the Borg.

And I think I like the idea that the subspace weapon thing is a recent amendment to the SKA ("Second Khitomer Accords", of course). It makes the most sense, all things considered.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps