Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tricobalts (More $$$) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tricobalts (More $$$)
Laz1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone's aware of it, but tricobalts were first mentioned in the TOS episode "A Taste of Armageddon". When the Enterprise entered orbit of Eminiar VII, it was classified destroyed by a tricobalt device.

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That used to be one of the main selling points for the "tricobalts ain't nothing special" argument. But it seems highly unlikely that Vendikar had subspace weapons.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. According to the Star Trek Compendium, Anan 7 tells Kirk that the Enterpise has been "destroyed" by a tricobalt satellite explosion in the computer war between Vendikar and Eminiar VII. Although the name "tricobalt" may have originated in this episode, whether such a weapon actually existed at that time is debatable.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could be two different weapons. Perhaps the TOS tricobalts were simple explosives. The later ones are based on the same technology (hence the name), but have had some sort of subspace thing added. This change of technology w/ retention of name is not unheard of today. A modern neutron bomb produces a much different effect than the first fission bombs, but they are both "nuclear weapons".

------------------
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the 'net, and he won't bother you for weeks.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also possible that the subspace reaction might somehow be created by the use of this tricobalt stuff. Sort of like how you can use nuclear bombs to propel spacecraft.

What I mean is, the tricobalt explosion might power whatever creates the subspace effect.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that Riker was appaled that the Feds would be involved with a species that would use subspace weapons. The fact that they were banned by the 2nd Kitohmer Accords would just mean that they were illegal for the Feds and Klingons, but would sort of say that if you use subspace weapons, then the Federation will be alot less likely to open relations with you. It doesn't mean that everybody in the Alpha Quadrant can't use them, it just means that the Feds won't like it if you do, but really can't do much about it.
Someone can lodge a protest of someone using them, then the Feds will probably try to negotiate some sort of treaty to prevent the usage of subspace weapons with that race.

------------------
Quark-"Stop. Or I'll disintigrate this hostage."

20th Century General-"With Your Finger?"

Quark-"With my death ray."

20th Century General-"Looks alot like a finger to me."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps