Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Forever Bird-of-Prey (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Forever Bird-of-Prey
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Bernd on the current shipbuilding needs of the Romulan Star Empire, but I think there is a certain fascination in the way Klingons stick to old things. The BoP works like the bat'leth as a symbol of Klingon fighting tradition. I expect to see plenty of those even if a new small ship type is introduced...

And I sort of like the freighter modified from the Cardassian one. It's one of the biggest cargo haulers in all of Trek, judging by the comparisons with the Rotarran... It's so annoying to see warships consistently portrayed as larger than freighters.

But before we get a real Klingon shuttle (preferably at least a bit remniscent of the Toron class), we need to get a real Klingon shuttlebay! If the smallest BoP can carry two whales, two side-by-side shuttles shouldn't be much of a problem either. But somebody has to decide where the bay doors are on the models.

And I'd finally like to find out who built the "merchantman" ship introduced in STIII. It's been shown operated at least by Klingons the Cardassians and the Altec, and variants have been seen on the Sheliak and the raiders from "The Host". Somebody must be the primary manufacturer who sells the ship to others - the curving front hull and whiskers are somewhat similar to the lines of the Cardassian Hideki, but would a Cardassian ship be available at the time of STIII?

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think a date for first contact with the Cardassians has ever been nailed down.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if the Feds had contacted Cardassia prior to STIII, the relations probably weren't cordial enough for Feds to operate Cardassian-built ships (even if the Feds were some sort of shady characters aiding a Klingon spy). Even if there was no political animosity, why would the freighter buyer have chosen a design from a newly encountered race over trusty old near-Earth designs? But the Cardassians could easily have purchased a Federation design just because it was more high-tech than their own ships.

If the ship is a Klingon design, then why are the Feds using it? It may be cheaper and better than Fed equivalents, but it's also a political statement that might make life difficult for the crew during those years of cold war. A Cardassian ship in Fed hands at that time would be less of a political affront.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone notice that the Merchantman from ST:III looks vaguely Ferengi - maybe the Ferengi influence was moving faster then their actual presence.

Andrew

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like the Merchantman very much. Its hull rips make it it look quite bizarre, it doesn't suit any of the known Trek civilizations. Somehow it doesn't look like a Trek ship at all.

Merchantman: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/scans/merchantman-side.gif

Sheliak modification: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/scans/sheliak.jpg

Of course, it was among the first ships built by ILM, and their philosophy was to give the ships countless external features including hull corrosion and damages. The only familiar element is the bridge, and here we have a problem. The BoP is supposed to be 110m. There is one scene when the BoP turns away from the Merchantman to begin the attack when the BoP is seen behind the MM, and the latter appears to be only about runabout-sized. This doesn't comply with the ship's very complicated external structure and the lack of windows and doors, and the bridge couldn't be a bridge. It would be even worse if the BoP was 60m as Boris has suggested. If the ILM people messed something up then it was this scene.

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the second pic... It looks as if it could have two bridges

Which is the warp nacelles? the 'pods' at the bottom - or the grill on the top...

the short grill looks vaguely Oberth Class nacelles...

Andrew

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The top view in the 2nd pic looks a bit like an old-fashioned Cardie design, especially the 'blades', just like Galor and Keldon. Aren't those two big impulse engines at the back? And isn't that some kind of weapon in the keel?

It could also be a ship constructed of parts of other ships..

------------------
"There will be an answer, let it be..."
Motto of the USS Sutherland

Lakedaemonian
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a little metal model of that freighter for at least 15 years. I can't remember anymore if it was for starfleet battles or some other board game.
If it was for a different ship combat game, that would help explain why it doesn't look very "trek". It doesn't seem to have any warp nacelles, just four huge engines in the rear that allways reminded me more of the star wars type ships.

IP: Logged
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason the Klingons havent developed a new ships is because of the their lack of resources remeber ST:6

Spock said that the Klingon Empire had a good 50 years left to her if the Federation didnt help , and of course the federation Started their alliance with the Kilngons and helped keep them afloat , maybe the Klingons decided just to keep refitting their current ships like the Vorcha , and the B'rel Class Bird of Prey so they can save some of their resources for building ships like the Negh'Var and maybe repairing Vorchas , Maybe now that they might have discovered more resources on the worlds they have taken from the Dominion maybe they will use those to replace the BoPs they lost during the war and who knows maybe they will begin building new ships .

As for the Rommies , i think that they have developed many new designs , they just havent brought them out yet.

-------------------------------------------------------
"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember, victory is life."

-- Omet'iklan Ds9:"To the Death"

http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited December 26, 1999).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps