Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The 20 years inbetween (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The 20 years inbetween
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to make anyone mad for stealing their idea, but can we throw out ideas on why Starfleet did not have an Enterprise for 20 years after the destruction of the C? Is there any info on this?

My guess is there was no justification for making another Ambassador the E-D and that there were not any other explorer class ships being produced at the time to carry the name. All the ships we know of between the Ambassador and the Galaxy were not of an explorer type. (?) Therefore, Starfleet had to wait 20 years for the Galaxy before they could launch a new Enterprise.

Also, I back my idea up by the fact they launched the E-E when they did. Starfleet had a new explorer class, and could commission a new Enterprise.

Ideas?

------------------
Peace on Earth

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Galaxy Class was already in the design stage and they didnt want to start buliding an Ambassador when in a couple of years they would have the Galaxy thats why the Ent-D was one of the first ships in the first Batch of Galaxys.

------------------
"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember, victory is life."

-- Omet'iklan Ds9:"To the Death"
http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2/index.htm

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there could be other reasons that there was no Enterprise for twenty years after Nerendra III. Starfleet could have been recovering from that incident, Starfleet Command could have waited for the first batch of Galaxy Classes, or that Starfleet was busy with the Cardassian Wars. Who knows, but in any case, it was strange that there was a 20 year gap between the loss of the Enterprise-C and the launch of the Enterprise-D. And what the length of time between the decommission of the Enterprise-A and the launch of the Enterprise-B?

------------------
He can't be unoriginal
The way I feel is sexual
The way I feel is sexual.

He can't be just intellectual
The way I feel is sexual
The way I feel is sexual
When you're next to me.

Basill
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TNG Tech manual says the Enterprise-D was launched in late 2363. This is corroborated by Picard noting that the Enterprise-D was, "less than a year out of spacedock" in one of the earliest episodes of the first season (mid to late 2364). This would indicate that she was close to but not quite a year from commissioning. I would personally estimate 6 to 9 months. This would mean that the Enterprise-D was already 3 1/2 to 4 years out of spacedock by the third season episode "Yesterday's Enterprise." The Enterprise C was destroyed 20-21 years before that episode. Now it took something like 12-13 years to complete the ship that would be Enterprise-D (if you believe the TNG Tech manual which says the keel was laid in 2350) If you add the development and service years up (even if you have to estimate a little) you get at least 15 1/2 years that the Enterprise D was an entity in the Star Trek Universe prior to "Yesterday's Enterprise." A mere 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 years between Enterprises doesn't seem that long to me, especially considering the major achievement that the Galaxy class was purported to be in its early development (which was already in progress when the Enterprise-C was lost). Seems rather a fitting honor to the C in my opinion.

Visit Basil's Galleries

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... If the ship was lauched in 2263... and Picard took command in 2264... who was in command for that missing year?

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most likely the ship had an operational commander during it's contruction and shakedown down time. I believe there was a commander Orfil Quinteros that was in charge of the ships construction. He appeared in the first season episode with the Binars. Check the Encyclopedia.

I disagree with the length of time it took to construct the Enterprise D. I mean, I'm sure the texts say what you say they say, I just can't believe it. The Nebula classes were already in service by the time the Enterprise was built. The Saucer and nacelle construction techniques would have been proven for the most part.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Relevant Notes: The Ent-D was launched from Utopia Planitia 40759.5 and Picard took command 41148 at McKinley ("All Good Things"). That's a gap of nearly 5 months.

All the Enterprises were produced as one of the earliest ships of her class except the A.

The Ent-B was launched the same year the Ent-A was decommissioned!

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And even the A was the first or one of the first refit Constitutions. Although I suspect the refitting projects in starfleet at that time covered many ships and several classes. Certainly more than just the Enterprise. Probably either the Miranda or the Soyuz class were refit with the new nacelles. It's also likely that the Oberth class was refit at this time too. But I digress...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am still not sure why it would take 20 years to launch another Starship Enterprise. And what was it that reporter said in Generations about Kirk and 30 years since he commanded an Enterprise? If the Enterprise-A was decommissioned the same year of the launch of the Enterprise-B, what was that person talkin' about?

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Justin: The reporter asked him how he felt about the E-B being the first Enterprise in 30 years without Kirk in command.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"My son and I have this wonderful kind of rivalry. Since I've taken over the Mac department in our home, he's seen fit to take over the PC. I have a routine I do for him, walking down the hall, bumping into walls, doing corkscrews and stumbling. I tell him I'm a Windows operating system." - John de Lancie

devinclancy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban, I think you're confusing the Ent-A with the refit Ent-nil. The Ent-A didn't show up until Trek IV, and at the time seemed to be old tech.

-Devin

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is everyone surprised that there was a gap in the Enterprises? I mean, at the time, do you think Starfleet really cared whether or not there was a ship w/ that name? "Enterprise" is rather a revered name in the current time in the Trek universe because of the combined exploits of Kirk and Picard. But, when the E-C was destroyed, it had been over forty years since an Enterprise had done anything noteworthy (so far as we know). At that time, SF wouldn't have had any reason to name a ship "Enterprise" ASAP. Besides, there were wars w/ the Cardassians and Tholians during that twenty-year time period; I'm sure they had other things on their minds.

------------------
"'...This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!' cried the Spirit stretching out its hand towards the city. 'Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse. And abide the end!'"
-Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

$
Minor
$
Well, they were concerned enough about the Defiant and Sisko's hurt fealings to taje the time to tell him he could change the name of the Sao Paulo to the Defiant during the Dommie War. Plus, in "The Measure of a Man", Admiral Nokamura said that "For the last 100 years, evry ship that has born the name Enterprise has been a legend. This ship is no different." I'd say that applies to the Ent B and the Ent C. I think it's safe to say that they did some rather legendary things themselves.

------------------

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$
$
$
minor

I dont know about the Ent-B but the Ent-C did stop the war between the Klingons and the Fed . Remember TNG: "Yesterdays Enterprise" ?

The Ent-C engaged 4 Romulan Warbirds that were attacking the klingon outpost at narrada III , even though the Ent-C was outnumbered she did destroy some Birds before she herself was downed , the Klingons which werent getting along with the Fed at the time viewed the Ent-C's actions as most Honorble and the Klingons signed a second peace treaty with the Fed .

So atleast the Ent-C was famous , i still dont know about the Ent-B .

------------------
"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember, victory is life."

-- Omet'iklan Ds9:"To the Death"
http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2/index.htm

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the Enterprise-B supposed to be involved in the Tomed Incident, or am I actually succumbing to non-canon?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps