Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The 20 years inbetween (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The 20 years inbetween
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise-B charted most of the Beta quadrant, and made first contact with lots of species. That's one account, anyways.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"My son and I have this wonderful kind of rivalry. Since I've taken over the Mac department in our home, he's seen fit to take over the PC. I have a routine I do for him, walking down the hall, bumping into walls, doing corkscrews and stumbling. I tell him I'm a Windows operating system." - John de Lancie

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And from where would this account be? (I've seen "exploration of the BQ and first contact with 38 species" before, just in a decidedly non-canon source, so I'd like to know if there's something better to back it up.)

Incidentally, making first contact with a number of species would be pretty good support of the theory that the Ent-B was the flagship.

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's from the TNG tech manual, I believe.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, the only canon info on the Ent B comes from Generations and the TNG Tech Man. However, the tech man shows the Ent. B as an early model Excelsior Class, so its canon status on this issue could be questioned...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as far as most people are concerned, the TM doesn't have canon status at all. However, it is usually viewed as a "right until proven wrong" source, and the only thing that's been proven wrong is that the E-B was an Ex-II.

And The statement about every E in the past hundred years being legendary may have been an exaggeration. Maybe the only things legendary ever done by the E-B and E-C were the death of Kirk and the fight at Narendra III, respectively. I still don't see any reason that SF should be expected to have been concerned w/ having an E in service at all times.

------------------
"...more people buy Harry Potter novels than the works of Alexander Pope, but that's no measure of their quality."
-Tom Aylward-Nally, December 29, 1999

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Ent-C engaged 4 Romulan Warbirds that were attacking the klingon outpost at narrada III , even though the Ent-C was outnumbered she did destroy some Birds before she herself was downed , the Klingons which werent getting along with the Fed at the time viewed the Ent-C's actions as most Honorble and the Klingons signed a second peace treaty with the Fed .

Except only the KLINGONS and the ROMULANS knew what happened. It sure took the crews of both the alternate-Enterprise-D and the real Enterprise-D by surprise in Yesterday's Enterprise and Redemption II, I do believe.

The Enterprise-C could hardly be famous for something no one knew she did. I'm sure that, until Sela's revelation, Starfleet Command considered the Enterprise-C "lost in service -- causes unknown."

Actually, perhaps that's the reason there was a gap. They may have been holding out hope that the Enterprise-C would re-emerge from wherever it had been. There must've been theories banted about -- right? I think Starfleet had some rumors on Enterprise-C crew showing up on Romulus, so perhaps they thought the ship had been captured by the Romulans, or accidently thrown into Romulan space. Who knows? Maybe Starfleet honestly believed that the Enterprise-C was docked in a Romulan facility somewhere, and they were holding out hope they could somehow rescue her.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Starfleet believed that the Enterprise-C was captured by the Romulans, then why have the Enterprise-D come out at all? This would mean that Starfleet eventually gave up on the -C after several years, much like what happend to USS Voyager, or that Starfleet decided to let this little incident go.

------------------
"When I said to get involved in the gay community, I didn't mean to sleep with everyone in it."
Michael_T

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why shouldn't Starfleet have known about the Narendra III incident?

Do you think the Klingons didn't tell them WHY they were suddenly in the mood to sign a peace treaty? They wouldn't have done this out of nothing, would they?

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could have. After all, they had spoken peace back in Khitomer, but apparently had not followed up with appropriate action immediately. Perhaps there had been a gradual increase in trust, and the results of the battle simply gave Klingons the final excuse to approve of formal peace.

It's not as if this peace was anything really radical, though. Klingons apparently continued to raid Federation territory till the early 2360s, as per "Aquiel". It only looked radical in comparison with the all-out war that erupted when the Klingons thought they had evidence of Starfleet cowardice and unwillingness to help the Klingon colonists in distress.

It could also be that some in Starfleet did know what the E-C had done, but the incident could not be made public because the Romulans were acting aggressively and had to be kept calm. But this goes against the idea that there was no contact between the UFP and the RSE between 2311 and 2364.

Not that I'd believe in absolute isolation. Spies probably were still sending information in both directions, but a general decrease in commerce and other interaction might have forced many of them to go to "sleeper mode". Individual starships may have met, and the incidents kept secret (even from the more blue-eyed in Starfleet). But if there was no contact, then there wouldn't have been a major political pressure to keep significant events secret, either.

No, I'd think the Klingons did keep the incident secret. Perhaps they had internal reasons to do so - the son of a major Council Member might have been disgraced because he was supposed to care for that colony, for example. They nevertheless considered the deed a further sign of Federation worthiness and, adding that to the points scored earlier, decided to move forward with closer ties.

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard certainly seemed surprised. He made a comment like, "there were RUMORS of surivors on Romulus..." so Starfleet Command may have speculated that the E-C got into a tangle with some Romulans and lost, but if Picard's reaction was any indication, Starfleet didn't have a clue what happened to the ship.

They probably eventually declared the ship destroyed. For one thing, this would help bring closure to the families' of the Enterprise-C's crew.

As for the Klingon and Federation relationship, it's not as cozy as it might look. Look at Captain Kartenga's actions aboard the Pagh -- he was ready to destroy the Enterprise, treaty or no treaty. And as Timo mentioned, Aquiel.

As for why the Klingons kept the incident at Narendra III secret ... who knows? Maybe they felt that by informing Starfleet, the vulnerabilities of their colonies would become widly known. The Khitomer attack happened about that time, so the Romulans were going at the Klingons pretty hard about that time. Perhaps the Klingons didn't want the Federation declaring War on the Romulan Empire and taking their glory from them ... ?

As for no contact with the Romulans, I don't think that's precise. I think "direct" contact might be a better statement. Admiral Jarok's raids took place thirty years prior to The Defector (I think) and killed many thousands of Federation citizens -- that's contact. Plus all the Romulan activity on the Klingon border, they certainly haven't been in hibernation as The Neutral Zone hinted at. Also, in Angel One, the Enterprise was ordered to the Neutral Zone in response to Romulan activity.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Ex-Member

Enterprise C
The ship could have launched escape pods and as they flew away. A Romulan warbird swoops in and beams aboard the pods. The ship then returns to Romulas at maximum warp. The ship arrives there 7 days later.
Yar among others is beamed down and is gradually seduced by a Romulan minister who also works for the Tal Shiar. She becomes pregant and later gives birth to Sela but discovers that her husband is working for the Tal Shiar. She decides to leave Romulas and head for Federation Space. She is killed in the attempt.
Meanwhile the Klingon colony's records show that the Enterprise C was destroyed with all hands and that a few warbirds captured the escape pods and were heading towards Romulas. Starfleet declares the ship lost with all hands and gives the approval for construction of the Enterprise D.

Ex-Member

Sela was taken by the minister mother to Remus to be raised. the reason Yar left was because she was going to be forced to become a member of the Tal Shiar and her daughter was taken away from her and was inacessible.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Picard seemed rather surprised that the Romulans had been involved at all. However the Enterprise-C survivors got to Romulus, the Klingons weren't forthcoming with that information.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*casually reads 8472's posts*

Interesting. *thinks*

Wait a minute! Darkstar?!

------------------
"Kif, I have made it with a woman! Inform the crew!"

- Zapp Brannigan

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? Main screen turn on!

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps