Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » nx59650 not the right registry #? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: nx59650 not the right registry #?
Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this sort of thing and I just wanted to try to start a good topic.
Everyone has seen that the registry number on the Prometheus-class U.S.S. Prometheus (my personal fave) is NX-59650. But I found a dedication-plaque at the LCARS Communications Network that states the registry number is NX-74913. The number ON the ship seems rather old, but the number on the plaque seems up-to-date. The plaque number should have been the one seen on the ship.
When I can figure out how to post a pic, I'll send it along.

------------------
Dismissed...that's a Starfleet expression for GET OUT!!
-Captain Kathryn Janeway

[This message has been edited by nx59650 (edited January 28, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Prometheus's dedication plaque and MSD both have the 70000s registry on them. The old number wasn't terribly difficult to explain away. But these conflicting numbers are a bit more of a problem. I don't think anyone's come up w/ a really good explanation yet. The best I can think of at the moment is that it may have been the 59650-B, or something, and they inexplicably decided to leave off the suffix. This would leave the larger number as the ship's "real", unique registry, while 59650 is its "ceremonial" one.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming you subscribe to TSN's incredibly arcane theory of registries.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited January 28, 2000).]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem can be always explained away by saying the crew working on the Prometheus painted a different registry on the hull as a practical joke...

------------------
Show me the meaning of being lonely
Is this the feeling, I need to walk in
Tell me why I can't be there where you are
There's something missing in my heart

-Backstreet Boys

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have discussed this before, but since you are new here:

Both the dedication plaque AND the Master Situation Display show the 7xxxx number.

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However the Encyclopedia III states the registration no for the Promehteus is NX-5xxxxx something and not NCC-7xxxxx. I know this creates problems but if the writers of the show ie Michael Okuda state it is the lower number then we have to assume it is the lower number. However the USS prometheus Nebula Class has a higher no which creates problems. Maybe the ship has been in development for years but never given a name but recieved a NX-no at the very start.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's reasonable to assume that the ridiculous hull rego is a mistake and that NX-74913 is the proper one. Unfortunately the hull rego is so clearly visible in "MiaB" it makes it hard to ignore. There's no simple solution here.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally prefer the lower number, just to ruin everyone's theories about registries.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is the name Brittain - in Night Terrors, but everyone maitains that it is indeed Brattain.

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say it's the Brittain, because that's what we see on the hull and I live on the Brittain Road

------------------
"You insulted Shakespeare? I'm telling."
-Miss Bate

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nx001a: That is exactly the simple solution that I referred to before. However, this 70000s registry throws a bit of a wrench into the metaphorical works. Also, Michael Okuda is not a writer on the show. In fact, he doesn't even work on Voyager.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyway the nx-number does not really matter since it does not determine the when the ship was constructed(not officially anyway). Of course a ship with a NCC-xxx number was built a long time ago but we have seen ships in TNG, DS9 and VOY that has a wide range of numbers from the Fredrickson NCC-4xxx something to the Steamrunners NCC-7xxxx. Hell when the Dauntless came to rescue Voyager it had a registry of NX-001A so NCC does not come in any particular order.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

nx001a
Member # 291

I am currently doing a new website on starship database and i was wondering should i use the lower or higher the number. Although the higher no makes more sense i will probably stick with the lower one. What does everyone else think?

------------------

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm working on my own starship database and I think that I am going to use the 74xxx number.

------------------
Navigator-"Heading, Sir?"
Kirk-"Out there...somewhere...out thatta-way."--Star Trek: TMP

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nx001a: It's NX-01 A, not NX-001 A.

but you don't have to change your user name

------------------
"A few more calculations"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps