Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shuttlecraft from ST:Generations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shuttlecraft from ST:Generations
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the shuttle recovery scene at the end of the film, we see a shuttlecraft coming to "rescue" Picard. The shuttle reminds me of the shuttle from the old movie with Kirk, I forget which film, but the shuttle there was named the Galileo II.
Only, this shuttle is slightly different, any opinions?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember it looked a lot like the usual Type 6 (which was build from the old movie shuttle). It may have had an extended body, though. I have to check it again.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were two full-size shuttles built for STV. One of them was modified into the Type 6 shuttle of late TNG by shortening it and adding windows etc. It was later cut to pieces to create Alice, the sentient shuttle from the Voyager episode of the same name.

But the other shuttle was left intact until Generations. It was at first intended to be shown as a full-size prop, so new windows were installed, the side sponsons removed and the aft impulse engine cowlings expanded. It was named the Hawking II, as shown here. However, ultimately only the scale model was used.

The Hawking languished outside the studio warehouse until Paramount thought it might serve as the basis for the shuttles needed for "Insurrection". Sadly, by that time, weather had taken its toll and the shuttle, along with the old ST:TMP travel pod, was nothing more than a heap of rotten spars. See the book "ST:Action!" for this sad story.

Timo Saloniemi

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited February 01, 2000).]

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That link is dud.

------------------
"You don't need eyes to see; you need VISION"
- Faithless / Reverence

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I made a mistake with it first and then tried to edit it. But apparently, you can't edit links you have already typed in once, even if they are duds. I guess it's time to call TSN to help...

Anyway, here is the correct link (I hope):
http://members.aol.com/IDICpage/HawkingII.html

Timo Saloniemi

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited February 02, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*notices that the Hawking II has the same TOS Movie-era nacelles as the Galileo II*

------------------
"Move your mind, it's gonna cost you nothing"
-Eiffel 65, Move Your Body

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here is a few very poor screencaps: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/new/shuttle.htm

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen that shuttle from The Experience before. Where did you find the picture and do you know what the display was where that shuttle was shown?

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, where did you get the pic? That shuttle is definitely cool looking!
I don't like the nacelles, though.
----------------
Jahk'Tala?
Roughly translated it means puberty, although for Klingons that scarcely does it justice.
-Picard, Star Trek Insurrection

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure you can edit links. You just have to do it correctly... :-)

Here is the correct link, for anyone who couldn't get to it.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Timo
Member # 245

Thanks, TSN! Went and modified my original link just for practice. It seems that for some reason my reader simply didn't update my messages after I'd submitted the edits. It's as if I'd used the back button instead of constantly moving forward. Weird. I also noticed some of my replies didn't become visible immediately while some did. I'm avoiding the machine that did that to me now... This one seems to immediately show the results of editing.

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

I found the shuttle here, it�s a very good site. He calls the shuttle the valiant, but the text suggests othervise. http://neutralzone.future.easyspace.com/

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo, Baloo mentions a similar problem over in the Officer's Lounge. Perhaps you two should trade notes.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo, Sol: The same thing happens to me in every single forum. The problem is IE. It goes back to the cached copy of the thread, instead of reloading like Netscape does.

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

*glares at IE* Making a liar out of me, are ya?

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps