Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Status of the runabouts assigned to DS9 at the end of the war? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Status of the runabouts assigned to DS9 at the end of the war?
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Either it's Ganda and Ezri has a slight British accent, or it's Gander and Sisko has a slight New England accent (and the runabout is named after an Earth river, like usual on DS9), or the close-captioning of Ganges was correct and this is the second runabout with that name," would be best.
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, it's not the other way around, Frank... If the runabout's name is Ganda, then Ezri is saying the improper "Gander," so she has a slight British accent. If the name is Gander, and Sisko is saying the improper "Ganda," then Sisko has a slight New England accent.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My math teacher is from Maine, and he does the -er thing. OTOH, many British people mispronounce the -er into an -a sound.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's face it, Nicole DeBoer is Canadian. I have met a Canadian who transfered into my French class. When she spoke in English, she would say the -er words in -a.

For example:
Are you goining to dinna(dinner) tonite?

That singa(singer) is cute!

And when she met Michael_T, she thought she was meeting a French girl!!!

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, the problem we're having is the opposite. And, as we discussed above, this thing doesn't seem to be regional at all.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Uhh, saying there's a "Canadian accent" is about as bad as saying there was one dialect in the USSR.

And, to be perfectly honest, it's the stereotyped Southern Drawl (TM) that does the "'-er' sounds like '-a'" thing.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As does the stereotypical brittish accent, stereotypical ebonics, etc. Accents aren't defined so much by what's left out or added on as by what's emphasized and by how long certain sounds last. Anyway, why doesn't someone look up both names and see if there are rivers called by either? That'd pretty much settle it. Assuming, of course, they stuck to the river naming scheme, and there aren't rivers by both names.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

There's a Gander River, but it's tiny, IIRC. And Ganda could be an alien river.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Gander river in Newfoundland along with a city named Gander.

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

It's not tiny, per se; smaller than any other one yet, IIRC, but it exists.

And Sisko has always named runabouts after Earth rivers. We have no reason to think he'd change that. Although no reason to think he wouldn't either...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the part where Frank snaps and beats up the waiter, and then Bart has to testify against him, only he can't because he was skipping school, right? I loved that episode.

Oh, wait...

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does the new encyclopedia say about the episode "Valiant?" And does the book mention the explosion of the runabout?

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the updated encyclopedia it mentions the episode valiant (there is even a picture of the USS Valiant). It mentions nog and jake on a diplomatic mission and are attacked by jem'hadar fighters and are forced to abandon ship when they are rescued by the Valiant. There is no mention of what happeneed to the Shenandoah after that but since it was abandoned in cardassina space i doubt we will see it again.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps