Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Prometheus Bridge (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Prometheus Bridge
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all. I opened this thread for two reasons.
1. I have a request-If anyone has some screen caps of the Prometheus bridge, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd post them here, so I can save them. Thank You in advance.
2. I think it would be a good idea to discuss the bridge. The Prometheus bridge is a return to the old design: captain's chair in the middle, ops/helm in front, and all the other stations on the bridge perimeter. I don't know about you, but I personally like this design. What do you think?

------------------
"It appears, Admiral, that we're going to be slightly delayed."
-Emperor Issisus

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself don't like this old bridge. The newer ones, with the stations facing center, seem to make inter-officer operations easier. I suspect that perhps the Prometheus was using an older bridge because it had a very small test crew, so they didn't need much inter-officer comunication on the bridge.

------------------
"How many people does it
take before it becomes
wrong? 6,000? 60,000?
How many people does it
take admiral!?!" -Ambassador
Picard during his command
of the Enterprise-E in the
Ba'ku incident.

IP: Logged
Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this bridge too. I think it is more efficient than a Galaxy class bridge with all the "useless positions" like that spot Troi always sat in. It has the simplicty that wins battles.

------------------
There's a lady who knows, all that glitters is gold...and she's buying a stairway to heaven. -Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but disreguaring the current wartime/dominion situration - I feel that the Prommie will be quite a good ship for exploration purposes - especially having three ships going where just one couldn't go before

Andrew

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

[This message was edited by AndrewR on April 05, 1999.]

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are looking for screen caps then I would recomend the Recient Episode Image Library. Go to my web page (listed below) and in my Links section you will find it. Message in a Bottle is one of the archived images.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://members.aol.com/captaincks/readyroom.html

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Excalibur
Ex-Member

I think the Prometheus would be a great help to the Federation Battlefleet in the current conflict.

P.S.

Does anyone know where to find the Okudagram MSD seen on the Prometheus Bridge?

------------------
"Walk softly and carry a big stick"-Theodore Roosevelt

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly. I don't like the bridge. I design better bridges.

------------------
What do you mean I'm not kind. Just not you're kind.
--Dave Mustaine
"Peace Sells"
MEGADETH

Red BWC
Ex-Member

Must be going for the retro look, people!
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "fuck"? Shit, you're an annoying git. But, of course, that's what you're going for! Hooray to you! Your little game is win!
Red BWC
Ex-Member

Oh god this is from 1999! I should be reading old threads while I'm tired...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[C'mon, you KNEW I would post eventually]

[Edit - Shite! How did I *not* post on this one three years ago?!]

The Prommie bridge is a "classic" Trek bridge. That is, with most of the stations facing away, and only a few stations able to naturally face the viewer. Arguably, since the only person who really needs to use the viewer is the Captain/XO (and to a lesser extent, the Conn), this makes sense. Just look at a similar take on this concept, with Klingon bridges where the helm is often BEHIND the Captain's position (Kurn's ship and the Rotarran are two examples that come to mind). Anyway, the point is that the viewer is only practically used by few people, and this sort of bridge design capitalizes on that.

But as has been mentioned already, this sucks ergonomically. while face-to-face communication on the bridge is not really necessary, in Trek it is, and as such this type of bridge is poorly designed for it. On examples we've seen, people are constantly having to look away from their consoles and spin around to talk to almost anyone. While in theory you should be able to talk loud enough in a closed room without having to face the listener, being able to face him/her without having to completely abandon what you're working on would be beneficial.

The antithesis of this is of course the later bridges we see, like the Sovereign (and NX-01), where most critical stations face not the viewer but more the CO for more effective communications. Here, you need only glance up from your console rather than spin around to talk to the centre of attention. Some may tink that the Intrepid bridge counts in this category, but in fat it does not; most stations here face the relatively tiny viewer more than anything else. This is the result of a conscious acknowledgement that most people think of the viewer as the front windshield that most people would like to look at.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Siwiak
Ex-Member

I disagree, while I enjoy the look of the Excelsior and Enterprise-A bridges, this concept is somewhat outdated. One has to remember that the Promtheus's bridge design was a quick build for one episode using Voyager's "spare bridge" area, and if I'm not mistaken, used some of the set parts from the Excelsior in "Flashback." I think the same set was used for the Equinox...

In any case, my biggest complaint is the look of the Captain's chair and the rather quick-looking construction of the forward Conn and Ops console. From the Star Trek television standpoint, the main viewer is the center of attention on the bridge, despite what logical information we know about stations and how an officer doesn't even need the thing because his console displays everything he needs to know.

If you want to get down to the science of it all, the most efficient bridge design would be a Captain sitting in the middle of a small room in the interior of the ship with all his officers surrounding him like a donut. This would look rather crappy for TV, and thus we thankfully stay away from it.

While I like the overall design, I just wish it's part wasn't written in a manner to suggest that it's the UFP's bad ass on the street, practically unstopable if it can destroy Warbirds with quick phaser blasts and disable a Nebula with relative ease. While visually cool to watch, I'm of the type that feels that it's the crew that makes the primary difference in a battle... not your pushing a button to seperate you into three unstoppable pieces.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siwiak, as mentioned before, the Prometheus bridge was what the set designers call a swing set (easily put up and easily put down). Most likely the time alloted only provided the set designers with an updated Excelsior/Enterprise-A look since there are enough pieces of the movie bridges to go around.

I'd like to think that the bridge is only a test module and a more permanent design was not installed yet.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theres a book out in the UK called Delta Quadrant and it says that both the Equinox and Prometheus were adaptions of the defiants bridge. I personally never saw how the fuck they could manage that, but thats what the book says. And no, its not official.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Conn / Ops console is the giveaway that the same bridge set was used for the Equinox. It was also used for the Dauntless, if I'm not mistaken.

I personally liked the forward console. Other than having someone sitting that close to me all day, it looked pretty cool. The sunken floor look is just different enough to be cool.

I agree, though...it's certainly possible that this was a test module designed just for the trial runs.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps