Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "One Small Step" facts (possible $$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "One Small Step" facts (possible $$)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure the timeline was restored. Remember that Braxton didn't know Janeway at the end? Granted, he did know her in "Relativity", but that can be explained by some sort of advances in temporal technology. Obviously they had ways to deal w/ people from separate timelines together. Perhaps the "Relativity" Braxton had met his "Future's End" self at some point...

------------------
Homer: "I can see what's happening. They did it to Jesus, and now they're doing it to me."
Marge: "Are you comparing yourself to our lord?!"
Homer: "Well, in bowling ability..."
-The Simpsons

TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Braxton didn't know her, because he was from an alternate future. The entire timeline up to just before the "Temporal Explosion" (gotta love those threatening plot device) has always been the same. Starling and the Aeon crashing on Earth are part of it.

Once Janeway blew up the Aeon, there was no Temporal Explosion and Braxton never got in a fit of rage to destroy Voyager.

I can't speak for the writers, but I see it like this:

When Voyager encounters the Aeon, there has been an explosion in the 20th century caused by Braxton. That means it's already part of normal history. The only difference in the end is that 29th century Earth will survive.

Also, at no point did Janeway talk about restoring the timeline, has if she had acknowledged the fact Starling was part of her history.

However, the catch is, by blowing the Aeon (instead of letting it go, which caused the big boom), Voyager slightly changed its own past. So at the end of the episode, Voyager would normally BE in an alternate timeline. However, I assume here that any change in the past drastically changes the future (the chaos theory). Still following?

But we all know that the writers don't see it like this. Remember "Trials and Tribble-lations" where Sisko and the others interfered, changing the original timeline without any problem. If we hadn't seen that they weren't there before (in "The trouble with Tribbles") it would have a predestination paradox. As for now, I just don't know anymore...

On a side note, I would like to reiterate my hatred of the Federation Temporal Police, the temporal "Reintegration", the ever-self-contradicting paradoxes and the fact that Time Travel is that easy. If I were to have my way, I'd have about 3 or 4 time travel stories in the whole series, and good ones like "Yesterday's Enterprise", "Future's End" (Yes, I did like it, unlike the sequel "Relativity"), "Year of Hell" and the one with the Polaric Ion Explosion.

You'll notice that even though in some of those instances there are unresolved paradoxes, the story is generally good enough to ignore thoses issues. Which isn't the case in "Relativity" in my opinion.

Oh slag, I gotta learn to write shorter posts...

------------------
-If you took that broomstick out of your tail-pipe once in a while, you might have some FUN for a change!
*Rattrap - Beast Wars*

-Let the Fates land where they may!
*Megatron - Beast Machines*

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Relativity Blew!!! Basically the only thing I liked about it was the new uniforms. IMO, no episode has done more to harm the Trek story arc than "Relativity", except for "Threshold".

I mean, we see 400 years into the future. Therefore, any threat to the Federation between now and then is kindof anti-climactic. We know they will survive in some way, shape or form. There are SO many continuity errors (In "The Visitor" DS9, Dax said they had done away with 2-D consoles by the early 25th century just to name one). The plot line is simply set way too far in the future and Time Travel seems way too easy (although I will still argue that the Relativity is probably a semi-unique ship and that time travel is still not the order of the day for all Fleet ships. After all, according to the ded plaque, there have been 8 Relativities...). This story line has turned time travel into a silly plot contrivance, unlike quality temporal eps like "Yesterday's Enterprise" TNG.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd have to disagree about continuity errors. It's just one future, after all. The very existance of such a temporal patrol suggests that things can change, else why bother to patrol?

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the simple fact that they used the idea twice seems to suggest that Trek's future will be very close to that. Of course, if they were to make a series in the 29th century, they'd probably dismiss it on the spot.

I prefer my time travel subtle, sparse and with a touch of tragedy .

By the way, maybe we should start a thread with this. Who here thinks the timeline was restored at the end of "Future's End" and why? Same challenge to those who think it was not.

------------------
-If you took that broomstick out of your tail-pipe once in a while, you might have some FUN for a change!
*Rattrap - Beast Wars*

-Let the Fates land where they may!
*Megatron - Beast Machines*

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps