Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Eeeuugghh???? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Eeeuugghh????
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PsiPhi's Books

Er....
What's this?

Some freakish product of a union betwixt Constitution and fruit-bat?

------------------
Monty: "With every drink of that pint more of his cognitive functions atrophy!!"
Classmate: "Wha? What does that mean?"
Monty: "Which word?"
Classmate: "Any of 'em!"

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very disturbing image

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why in the world are the Nacelles and Neck different colors then the rest of the ship? And, I hope that isn't what they want the Challenger class to look like....

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you read PsiPhi's spoiler for the book, it would appear that the cover art IS INDEED the USS Challenger. To which I can say only one word: Ick.

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, its only the Challenger in the book mutant world.

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Laz1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the point to attaching the nacelles that way? Gee, let's see how many variants we can come up with by sticking nacelles on every possible location we can think of.

And y'all thought the FF Niagara was ugly.

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

IP: Logged
Laz1701
Ex-Member

I think I know the reason for the discrepancy in colors. The saucer and secondary hull are obviously a regular Constitution refit. Both the neck and the nacelles are different, though. Perhaps the original artwork depicted a Constitution II, and then the neck was changed and the new nacelles added.

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since it's mostly just a C-II, it wouldn't be undigestibly horrible if it didn't have those funky forked pylons. And, of course, if the color scheme were consistent.

As for its being the Challenger class, we know it isn't, since that was made of Galaxy parts. This would have to be the USS Challenger, NCC-2032. At least, it had better be the 2032, or somebody's got a problem...

------------------
Homer: "I can see what's happening. They did it to Jesus, and now they're doing it to me."
Marge: "Are you comparing yourself to our lord?!"
Homer: "Well, in bowling ability..."
-The Simpsons

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$$$(yet another impractical spoiler warning)

The beastie sure ain't related to the Challenger class ships of the TNG era. I'm not even sure it would be NCC-2032, considering the timeline of the books. NCC-2032 is from the time of STVI, in 2293, while the books take place in...

$$$$$$(Spoilers for New Earth)$$$$$$$

...take place in the aftermath of ST:TMP. The Challenger is a ship sent to relieve the Enterprise from guarding a newly established frontier colony (which is what this six-book series is all about), but is blown to bits. Scotty patches the poor thing together the best he can, and the results are less than beauteous...

I'm not sure if I'm eager to see Diane Carey do a comedy - but I think there is at least potential here. And the entire New Earth series sounds *extremely* promising, with top-notch writers and nifty concepts. Not to forget superb cover art! (Although I don't like the idea that travel pods have atmospheric capabilities..)

In any case, NCC-2032 was probably built as replacement for the poor bastard that gets destroyed and rebuilt in this book. I guess the 2032 was an Excelsior class ship or something.

Timo Saloniemi

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like Scotty was drinking on the job again...

Anyway, 2032 seems to be a familliar Excelsior Class registry I've seen in DS9. That or is it the registry of that Excelsior in the Utopia Planitia Fleetyards scene from "Relativity?"

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoever painted this freak ship obviously based it on an AMT model. Notice the too small sensor dome?

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should we perhaps accept that sensor dome configuration as an existing variant of the standard model? It's bound to pop up in many places (it already has in the hastily assembled Constitution models seen in a couple of TNG episodes!)...

There's no fanfic Constitution by the name Challenger, now is there? Let's see what Carey decides to tell us about this ship. Hopefully she's finally off FASA.

In fact, I don't remember any prominent fanfic starship named Challenger from the TOS movie era. Sounds like a perfectly okay name for a Constitution (as would Independence and Ranger, which also seem to be missing from SotSF and related works). One could say there were more Constitutions than SotSF tells us, or that the ones that weren't completed by the time that book went to press (2291) were actually renamed during final construction. Whatever works best - from what I've seen so far, I do want to fit "New Earth" to the continuity of cool-enough-to-be-canon Trek.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea that the ship was patched together explains it a little bit. Now while I hate the design (obviously) the painting is actually pretty good. Better than alot of the one's I've seen anyway...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

------------------
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." (If you want peace, prepare for war)
- Vegetius
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

I think it looks weird....but kind of interesting....

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps