Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » how was the Nebula born? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: how was the Nebula born?
johnboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always knew that the Nebula was built based on study models Ed Miarecki created. At the same time, he also created the New Orleans model (Kyushu at Wolf 359).

Were the models created specifically for BTOW part II?
Or were they created before that and happened to be lying around when Mike Okuda needed starships for that sequence?

------------------
The NCC registries are obviously NOT chronological. Get over it!

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure those ships were created for TBoBW. Or, if not specifically for it, at least at that time. I don't think they were just "lying around" and someone stuck them in.

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."
-They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The very fact that they are low-res kitbashes would indicate that they were built for "BoBW2" specifically. Where else could one use kitbashes except in scenes that feature damaged ships at a distance?

I can think of only one other application for kitbashes: the Nebula *might* have been built as tabletop decoration. But the first episode that used such decoration was "Future Imperfect" that came well after "BoBW". Before that, tabletops had been decorated by TOS or movie era Enterprises and random models of Apollo modules etc., plus the study model for the Constellation class in Picard's ready room. Remember that at that time, there weren't Galaxy class scale model kits to be bashed.

When did the E-D model kit come out, actually? What would have been the earliest episode that could theoretically have featured a Nebula study model or other Galaxy kitbash?

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A model of an Apollo-module? What? Any pics?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's an Apollo CSM stack on Wesley's dorm table in "First Duty", I believe. And there may have been an Apollo model in one of the lounge scenes in early TNG, before Ten-Forward was built (perhaps "Justice"?). I'm not 100% sure about the episodes, though.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Nebula was actually designed and built for the episode "The Wounded" TNG. This is the first time we ever saw it. The Nebbie we saw in "Emissary" DS9 would've been filmed after "The Wounded" and I don't think there was any Nebbie wreckage seen in the Wolf 359 Graveyard.

I have to point out my usual caviot when discussing the Nebula Class though: Although, as far as Star TREK goes, the Nebula was designed using Galaxy Class parts, as far as StarFLEET goes, the Galaxy Class was built using parts similar to the already existing Nebula Class. Actually, it's very likely that the two ships were designed at the same time and using many of the same components but the Nebbies went into production several years before the Galaxies.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited March 23, 2000).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and I don't think there was any Nebbie wreckage seen in the Wolf 359 Graveyard.

There *was* a Nebula prototype model in W359, built by Miarecki. Here you go (watch out: IT'S BUT-UGLY!):
Top view schematic
Side view
W359 scene

Pictures from Copernicus Fleet Yards

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

johnboy
Ex-Member

TO answer the earlier question about the Enterprise D 1/1400 scale model: that was released in early March 1988. The three ship set, which featured the 1/2500 scale Enterprise D came out about six months later.
(I'm a modeling nut, and it was BIG news that we finally had new Star Trek kits, they were the first new patterns in about nine years since Star Trek: TMP came out)

So.... Typically, the modeling companies do test runs on their molds.... and those test runs can occur months before a kit is released to the public. I remember seeing a picture in a magazine showing Rich Sternbach's office, and he had a built up prototype Enterprise D model on his desk. I always assumed that the shot was taken in early 1988 and that ERTL sent him a test run. (I had a friend who got a Yamaguchi model that way.)

The upshot: theoretically we could have seen table top display models of the Enterprise D (and derivitives) by the end of the first season. However, I don't recall ever seeing any that early.

As for the schematic of the Nebula study model, I've seen that schematic before, and it doesn't match the model shown on Ed Miarecki's web site. That model has the 1/2500 scale warp nacells (complete with bussard scoops) sitting above the centerline of the saucer section. Which makes sense, since the nebula we see in the graveyard sequence shows those "mini nacells" sticking above the saucer.

..... oh GOd, I am getting way too anal about this.
This forum seems like a good home for me.

------------------
The NCC registries are obviously NOT chronological. Get over it!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ed Miarecki built TWO Nebula Prototypes: The one with tiny nacelles you see on his site *and* the ugly-as-hell thing with tiny cut-off nacelles.

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prakesh: Do you have an address for that site?

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too anal? Never! We reside in the "assh*le of treknology"

Sorry.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay...

Miarecki built two "nearly identical" Nebulae atthe time of TBoBW. One was beat up and used in the graveyard scene; the other was kept around and used as a desktop model later. These ships had a normal Galaxy secondary hull, so it stuck out behind the saucer pretty far. They also had tiny nacelles on top, instead of a pod.

Later, for "The Wounded", a photographable model of the Nebula was built, redesigned into pretty much its current form, but w/ a different pod on top, and two struts holding it up (like the ones that held the mini-nacelles on the original).

After this, the struts were replaced by a single, thick strut, and the pod became the triangular one we have today. This is how every Nebula has appeared since "The Wounded".

------------------
me: "I need a new sig..."
CC: "Well create one."
-why I don't have a real signature

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Guess what, the URL is:www.edmiarecki.com!

Well this is where I got the Nebula info:Click

------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Markus
Ex-Member

Yes, TSN is right. The BoBW graveyard Nebula and the desktop model from Ed Miarecki's website are almost identical in design. They both have the small nacelles on top.

The ugly thing with cut-off nacelles does not exist. The schematics only show a possible reconstruction of the BoBW Nebula based on the Scene 1 screen grab. They illustrate what the ship might look like if the features near the secondary hull are the small nacelles. This may be an optical illusion, either the model was shot with a wide angle lens, or the "nacelles" are part of another ship or piece of debris behind the secondary hull. The actual model used in BoBW didn't have anything back there.

Oh, there is one other Nebula model, though I would rather ignore it: the CGI one made for Voyager's "Message in a Bottle". That one's full of problems. There's too much reuse of Galaxy components, so the windows, deflector, secondary hull shape, and overall size are all wrong. The Nebula is very different from just being a rearranged Galaxy.

[This message has been edited by Markus (edited March 24, 2000).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

quote:
Actually, this *is* supposed to be the ship in the wreckage, while the
other one, with other locations of the small nacelles was preserved and
served in Riker's and in Sisko's office. Okuda confirmed that there were
actually two models. Maybe they were both named "Melbourne". -Bernd, 22-03-2000,e-mail.

This was a reply to a question I asked about that but ugly cut-off naceller.

OK, so there are at least two confirmed study models:

AND

Nr 1 was used in the scene:

------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

[This message has been edited by Prakesh (edited March 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Prakesh (edited March 25, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps