Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » how was the Nebula born? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: how was the Nebula born?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so according to that 'model' you can have nacelles with no bussard collectors... hmmm.

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they were blown off?

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Ed's model built like that originally though? I assume that you only really need the bussards on the main nacelles??

------------------
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, of course you can have nacelles w/o Bussards. Remember the Excelsior? The Bussards just collect hydrogen from space. The reason they're put on the fronts of the nacelles is so the warp field can help direct the hydrogen into the collectors (I think). The nacelles themselves, however, don't work any differently w/ or w/o Bussards on the fronts.

------------------
me: "I need a new sig..."
CC: "Well create one."
-why I don't have a real signature

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yeah, TSN *BUT* it looks as if they've built a galaxy nacelle and just not put on the bussards... or detached them - if that's possible. Its not like the Exxy where she was built with no bussards deliberately - i.e. a design feature.

Ohhhh maybe thats what those 'squares' are on the 'neck' of excelsior class ships are - bussard collectors.

Andrew

------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What name is on the plaque of the four-nacelled Nebula?

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it's the USS Melbourne. Both the study models were named Melbourne, because that's what the ship in BoBW was called. I'm not sure what the connection with USS Phoenix is, tough. Bernd knows that, i think.

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps